Battery dies on package car

U

uber

So, I'm the new guy. I'm delivering to a big building with like 25 stops inside it. I leave the package car and come back and it won't start. Batteries dead. I call the hub and they dispatch me to automotive who tells me to turn all the lights off and try again in 20 minutes. Still doesn't work, I call back and they say try that again. I call back again and they say they'll have a tow truck coming out pronto. It takes almost 2 hours for the tow truck to get there.

I get back to the hub and the on road sup is busting my balls about why I didn't walk packages a couple miles and deliver them.

Seriously? This has been the most miserable 30 day period a person could have. I just want to get this **** over with and not be under pressure and scrutinized for every damn move I make.

UPSGUY72

You coded that time out to break down on road right.

One time my Sup got pissed because I didn't take my lunch during the time I was waiting to gave a front changed.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Did you at least sort the pkg car while you waited? Were there any stops within a reasonable walking distance that you could have delivered while waiting? Or did you just sit there and wait for the tow truck? Did you try to get a jump from someone at the 25 stop business delivery point?

You are a driver now. You need to lose the insider mentality and develop a sense of personal initiative.

Would I have sat there for 2 hours? No blankin way!! I would have asked someone at the delivery point to give me a jump and let the pkg run the rest of the day. I would have sent an ODS alerting them to the problem and to give them a "heads up" of the hits I would take on the Telematics report the following day. If I was unable to get a jump I would have at least sorted the pkg car and delivered any stops within reasonable walking distance.

Big Babooba

Did you at least sort the pkg car while you waited? Were there any stops within a reasonable walking distance that you could have delivered while waiting? Or did you just sit there and wait for the tow truck? Did you try to get a jump from someone at the 25 stop business delivery point?

You are a driver now. You need to lose the insider mentality and develop a sense of personal initiative.

Would I have sat there for 2 hours? No blankin way!! I would have asked someone at the delivery point to give me a jump and let the pkg run the rest of the day. I would have sent an ODS alerting them to the problem and to give them a "heads up" of the hits I would take on the Telematics report the following day. If I was unable to get a jump I would have at least sorted the pkg car and delivered any stops within reasonable walking distance.
I would try to walk off anything that I reasonably could but I would never ask somebody for a jump. Automotive electrical systems are very sensitive nowadays and I would hate to be responsible for frying somebody's computer. UPS could wind up footing the bill and we can figure out who will get the blame!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would try to walk off anything that I reasonably could but I would never ask somebody for a jump. Automotive electrical systems are very sensitive nowadays and I would hate to be responsible for frying somebody's computer.

I know when the DIAD holder doubled as the DVA Send we were advised not to get jump starts but the DIAD holder is just a piece of hard plastic. As far as the other car, you do have a good point but if done correctly it should not be an issue.

So, I'm the new guy. I'm delivering to a big building with like 25 stops inside it. I leave the package car and come back and it won't start. Batteries dead. I call the hub and they dispatch me to automotive who tells me to turn all the lights off and try again in 20 minutes. Still doesn't work, I call back and they say try that again. I call back again and they say they'll have a tow truck coming out pronto. It takes almost 2 hours for the tow truck to get there.

I get back to the hub and the on road sup is busting my balls about why I didn't walk packages a couple miles and deliver them.

Seriously? This has been the most miserable 30 day period a person could have. I just want to get this **** over with and not be under pressure and scrutinized for every damn move I make.
i have lost my breaks twice. Not cool

rod

Retired 22 years
Unless you get it in writing before hand from your center manager that you would not be responcible for any damage to either the UPS truck or the other vehical don't ever jump your dead UPS truck. You know they aren't going to sign that piece of paper. Do what you can--sort your load and deliver stops within walking reasonable distance--otherwise sit there and pick your nose----and don't use break time unless you actually have access to a coffee shop or Mickey D's.

P.S. I hate to burst your bubble but at UPS you will always be under pressure and scrutinized for every move you make.

U

uber

I organized the package car. I only had like 30 resi's left. I was just about to start pickups, my pickups are bulky and there was nothing I could have done. Getting a jump from a bystander wasn't an option, I was on an extremely busy 1 way road. The tow truck driver got their and was trying to figure how he was going to turn his truck around to hook the cables up.

It wasn't just a whoa me moment like you're trying to insinuate.

BURMDPsupe

I got a jump start from one of the county police officers; I knew a small sub-station was nearby so I walked a few blocks. Officer at the front desk was real helpful, took me over to the small garage housing all of the police motorcycles and gave me one of those battery jump-packs. He told me to try it out and come back once I was finished. It worked like a charm and I only lost about 40 minutes.

M-

Re-Raise

Hate to break it to you , but that isn't going to change after your 30 days are up.

probellringer

wow...your battery went dead..it happens. i guess the telematics they have in place didnt detect is was going to happen. whats more insane is they dont put jumper cables in one truck of each loop- so if you do need a jump, you get it quicker. im just an std(stupid truck driver)-but i think a $10 set of cables might be cheaper then a tow-but i could be wrong

jaker

trolling
wow...your battery went dead..it happens. i guess the telematics they have in place didnt detect is was going to happen. whats more insane is they dont put jumper cables in one truck of each loop- so if you do need a jump, you get it quicker. im just an std(stupid truck driver)-but i think a $10 set of cables might be cheaper then a tow-but i could be wrong
HA what company do you work for again

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Are you seriously going to suggest to a new hire that he violate numerous safety procedures by leaving the package car running and unattended while making a delivery?

1. Jumper cables--most of the newer diesel rigs have a dual battery setup. I personally do not know how to jump such a system; there is a very real risk of starting a fire and damaging both vehicles if this is done incorrectly.

2. Keyless ignition--even if a person was stupid enough to want to leave the engine running while away from the vehicle, it wouldnt be possible with the keyless system unless you also found a way to get the BH door open and shut while leaving the engine running.

3. Stick shift--was the vehicle a stick shift? If so, how do you safely park on a hill while leaving the engine running in neutral?

This isnt a Telematics issue. Its a basic common sense safety issue. Under NO circumstances is it EVER acceptable to leave the engine running and the vehicle unsecured while you are away making a delivery. I can think of about a thousand things that could go wrong on a deal like that, and ALL of them would be blamed on the driver.

The supervisor who whined about how long the driver waited to get a jump was nothing more than a petty little man who was afraid of how the lost time would make him look on some stupid report. Ignore him. The safety of ourselves and of the general public is far more important than an hour or two of time or a handful of missed packages.

Are you seriously going to suggest to a new hire that he violate numerous safety procedures by leaving the package car running and unattended while making a delivery?

1. Jumper cables--most of the newer diesel rigs have a dual battery setup. I personally do not know how to jump such a system; there is a very real risk of starting a fire and damaging both vehicles if this is done incorrectly.

2. Keyless ignition--even if a person was stupid enough to want to leave the engine running while away from the vehicle, it wouldnt be possible with the keyless system unless you also found a way to get the BH door open and shut while leaving the engine running.

3. Stick shift--was the vehicle a stick shift? If so, how do you safely park on a hill while leaving the engine running in neutral?

This isnt a Telematics issue. Its a basic common sense safety issue. Under NO circumstances is it EVER acceptable to leave the engine running and the vehicle unsecured while you are away making a delivery. I can think of about a thousand things that could go wrong on a deal like that, and ALL of them would be blamed on the driver.

The supervisor who whined about how long the driver waited to get a jump was nothing more than a petty little man who was afraid of how the lost time would make him look on some stupid report. Ignore him. The safety of ourselves and of the general public is far more important than an hour or two of time or a handful of missed packages.
Don't waist your time with that idiot

U

uber

You need to clear your PM's so I can send you a message.

Mike57

Unless you get it in writing before hand from your center manager that you would not be responcible for any damage to either the UPS truck or the other vehical don't ever jump your dead UPS truck. You know they aren't going to sign that piece of paper. Do what you can--sort your load and deliver stops within walking reasonable distance--otherwise sit there and pick your nose----and don't use break time unless you actually have access to a coffee shop or Mickey D's.

P.S. I hate to burst your bubble but at UPS you will always be under pressure and scrutinized for every move you make.
That's what Jump Packs are for. I have one in my personal car!!!

stoni24

Odds are u coulda lifted the step to get to the battery, twisted the loose battery cable that caused ur "dead" battery and been back on the road in 2 minutes. Im not a mechanic but batteries generally don't just die mid route, usually a loose cable.