Battery dies on package car

UPSGUY72

Did you at least sort the pkg car while you waited? Were there any stops within a reasonable walking distance that you could have delivered while waiting? Or did you just sit there and wait for the tow truck? Did you try to get a jump from someone at the 25 stop business delivery point?

You are a driver now. You need to lose the insider mentality and develop a sense of personal initiative.

Would I have sat there for 2 hours? No blankin way!! I would have asked someone at the delivery point to give me a jump and let the pkg run the rest of the day. I would have sent an ODS alerting them to the problem and to give them a "heads up" of the hits I would take on the Telematics report the following day. If I was unable to get a jump I would have at least sorted the pkg car and delivered any stops within reasonable walking distance.
I would try to walk off anything that I reasonably could but I would never ask somebody for a jump. Automotive electrical systems are very sensitive nowadays and I would hate to be responsible for frying somebody's computer. UPS could wind up footing the bill and we can figure out who will get the blame!

It not my car they can fix it and they can be responsible for it. I just drive it.

The mechanics in art building don't jump the cars that are dead in the morning they change the batteries.

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
[
2. Keyless ignition--even if a person was stupid enough to want to leave the engine running while away from the vehicle, it wouldnt be possible with the keyless system unless you also found a way to get the BH door open and shut while leaving the engine running.

actually if car has to be left runnign the keyless will still work as descrivbed the fob will still open all doors as if the car is not running.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Never attempt to jump start the package car. You're not a mechanic. Even if a supervisor asks you to do this, tell him you're not comfortable doing that. Maybe, MAYBE deliver around that block, but only if it is safe. Don't go dragging a two-wheeler across any traffic, up any hills. You sound like you did right. The supervisors will always yell at you--that's all they are good for--because a driver sitting still is a fraction of their bonus that they will never see. Put your feet up and enjoy yourself. This is when our fancy phones finally come in handy. My tractor broke down this summer on a a busy interstate, in the middle of the night. Between the time it stopped and the time I was moving again--in another tractor--3 hours passed. They wanted me to call them every 15 minutes to update them on the arrival of the tow truck. Nope, I told them, my battery in my phone is dying. After I hung up, I played some game on my phone for the next three hours. My phone almost died, but then I pulled out my charger, plugged it into the cigarette lighter and played on.

A dead UPS vehicle is not your problem. Enjoy your free time.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The mechanics in art building don't jump the cars that are dead in the morning they change the batteries.

Thats what they started doing in our building if a car is dead in the morning. I would be tempted to get a jump on area if I was put in that situation, I have enough automotive knowledge to know how to do it. I have rebuilt engines before, so hooking up a couple of cables on a dual battery setup shouldn't be that difficult. I also have the wrecker service that my Hub uses on my area, so the wait wouldn't be that long. There is no way in the world that I would leave a package car running in a commercial type area to charge itself up.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Upstate would have push started the pkg car.

I know you are joking but back when I had a manual transmission pkg car I had a battery die. The center manager and mechanic came out. The mechanic positioned his pickup truck behind the pkg car, pushed it and the center manager, who was driving, let go of the clutch and the pkg car started. I was told to leave it running the rest of the day.

Sober, a couple of months ago I was having issues with the keyless starter. I called the mechanic who asked me to try it while he was on the phone. I tried twice--did not start--tried a third time and it started. He gave me the lockbox key code, told me to use the key and to leave the pkg car running the rest of the day. You can call me stupid all you want--I will consider the source and move on--but I was working as directed. I only lost 5 minutes of time rather than the hour or more that it would have taken to swap out pkg cars.

You guys seem to forget that I deliver in the Bubble of Goodness where it is OK to leave unattended package cars running.

iruhnman630

I have been told before to leave the car running after getting it started to finish the day. It is a blind habit to shut the car off at each stop, so the odds of me remembering NOT to do so for the rest of the day are nill to none. And it is a HUGE safety issue to not put the car in gear when parking.

No chance. Not happening. Your vehicle broke, it is your problem.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have been told before to leave the car running after getting it started to finish the day. It is a blind habit to shut the car off at each stop, so the odds of me remembering NOT to do so for the rest of the day are nill to none. And it is a HUGE safety issue to not put the car in gear when parking.

That was the hardest part---fighting the urge to shut it off at each stop. The pkg car is automatic transmission.

wayfair

swollen member
I have been told before to leave the car running after getting it started to finish the day. It is a blind habit to shut the car off at each stop, so the odds of me remembering NOT to do so for the rest of the day are nill to none.

I was directed to do the same thing... had to put tape on the key to remind myself not to shut down....

I've had the keyless problem upstate spoke of... it still happens occasionally and I know now when it starts to act up

Integrity

Binge Poster
When an individual violates a company policy or known safe work practice at the direction of a supervisor they are wrong.

"I'm working as directed" is not an excuse for this.

UPS hourly employees must stand up for what is right when low level management give these type of fear based, hasty directions.

Individuals who follow these types of directions are 100% responsible for any negative consequences that result from this type of conduct.

The employee who follows the faulty directions is at fault here not the supervisor.

Sincerely,
I

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
the gods were not smiling on you that day my friend

if there were any stops within a mile, shoulda walked them off, but any further than that the best you could do in managements eyes is take your break

if they wouldn't be happy with even that, you have ****ty management

iruhnman630

Individuals who follow these types of directions are 100% responsible for any negative consequences that result from this type of conduct.
Exactly why I won't do it. When that manual transmission car rolls down the hill, 'I was working as directed' will not keep you from the unemployment line.

AKCoverMan

Being broken down on the side of the road sitting in your broken down package car without access to even a cup of coffee is not a break or a lunch. It's breakdown time. Now if I breakdown somewhere I can secure the package car and go eat lunch or something then I'll take a break or a lunch. But Murphy, busy man that he is, usually will not let that happen.

OptimusPrime

Unless you get it in writing before hand from your center manager that you would not be responcible for any damage to either the UPS truck or the other vehical don't ever jump your dead UPS truck. You know they aren't going to sign that piece of paper. Do what you can--sort your load and deliver stops within walking reasonable distance--otherwise sit there and pick your nose----and don't use break time unless you actually have access to a coffee shop or Mickey D's.

P.S. I hate to burst your bubble but at UPS you will always be under pressure and scrutinized for every move you make.

I'm handy around an engine bay, but don't care if they sign off or not. Not going to happen. Never, ever ever try to diagnose/fix a PC. Don't. There is no positive, only negative.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I know you are joking but back when I had a manual transmission pkg car I had a battery die. The center manager and mechanic came out. The mechanic positioned his pickup truck behind the pkg car, pushed it and the center manager, who was driving, let go of the clutch and the pkg car started. I was told to leave it running the rest of the day.

Sober, a couple of months ago I was having issues with the keyless starter. I called the mechanic who asked me to try it while he was on the phone. I tried twice--did not start--tried a third time and it started. He gave me the lockbox key code, told me to use the key and to leave the pkg car running the rest of the day. You can call me stupid all you want--I will consider the source and move on--but I was working as directed. I only lost 5 minutes of time rather than the hour or more that it would have taken to swap out pkg cars.

You guys seem to forget that I deliver in the Bubble of Goodness where it is OK to leave unattended package cars running.

Why do you give a crap how much time you would lose? The more time lost equals more time paid at time and a half. Does the Bubble of Goodness not pay overtime? All it takes is one rogue to steal the PKG car and your buddies would have hung you out to dry.

Also, never, will I take meal or break time when a UPS problem--such as breakdowns--hold me up. And yes, I've been told many, many times to take my lunch...Nope, will never happen...

rod

Retired 22 years
In the old days when it was cold (yes I know-here we go again with Rods old time stories) my truck wasn't shut off all day long. From the time I started it in the morning til I pulled up to the gas pump at night. That includes breaks. My truck had a serious electrical problem-- when I turned the key off the heater quit working and I had a serious adversion to freezin my butt off. I got a kick out of the driver sups who would ride along on those brutally cold days. They would sit in the truck all day long with the engine running to stay warm. Many times I was told "don't do this when you are by yourself" -----------sure boss.