Battery dies on package car

probellringer

if you asked your management team to send you a message over the diad saying its okay to leave the package car running ---- you think you would get a response? be smart people

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Did you at least sort the pkg car while you waited? Were there any stops within a reasonable walking distance that you could have delivered while waiting? Or did you just sit there and wait for the tow truck? Did you try to get a jump from someone at the 25 stop business delivery point?

You are a driver now. You need to lose the insider mentality and develop a sense of personal initiative.

Would I have sat there for 2 hours? No blankin way!! I would have asked someone at the delivery point to give me a jump and let the pkg run the rest of the day. I would have sent an ODS alerting them to the problem and to give them a "heads up" of the hits I would take on the Telematics report the following day. If I was unable to get a jump I would have at least sorted the pkg car and delivered any stops within reasonable walking distance.

YAWN!!! We are not paid to make decisions. That's managements job ask them what to do and work as directed.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
wow...your battery went dead..it happens. i guess the telematics they have in place didnt detect is was going to happen. whats more insane is they dont put jumper cables in one truck of each loop- so if you do need a jump, you get it quicker. im just an std(stupid truck driver)-but i think a $10 set of cables might be cheaper then a tow-but i could be wrong

Never spend $10 on jumper cables. A decent set is prob around $40.

Indecisi0n

It's not my job to fix these things they call cars so I am not touching them. Last thing I need is a break down blamed on me. No thank you. I will sit there and wait. Like Brown said we aren't paid to make decisions. Now if there is a house close to me I would probably make the delivery then go back and sort my truck but other than that I sit and wait. And No I am not taking my lunch.

Integrity

Binge Poster
YAWN!!! We are not paid to make decisions. That's managements job ask them what to do and work as directed.
Brownslave688,

"I worked as directed" does not excuse a person from responsibilty.

When a low level UPS management person gives a direction that violates UPS Policy, safety training, or regulatory laws or standards these directions must not be blindly followed.

I realize that sometimes we need to follow questionable direction so we can live to fight another day but this is not an excuse to do nothing.

Mature responsible adult men and women, real men and real women, must always be willing to stand up for what is right.

If not for yourself, then for those who will be coming after you.

Do you view your self as a mature responsible adult?

Sincerely,I

Indecisi0n

Brownslave688,"I worked as directed" does not excuse a person from responsibilty.When a low level UPS management person gives a direction that violates UPS Policy, safety training, or regulatory laws or standards these directions must not be blindly followed.I realize that sometimes we need to follow questionable direction so we can live to fight another day but this is not an excuse to do nothing.Mature responsible adult men and women, real men and real women, must always be willing to stand up for what is right.If not for yourself, then for those who will be coming after you.Do you view your self as a mature responsible adult?Sincerely,I

Slow down with the typing there buddy you messed up your sig.

Sincerely,
I

S

serenity now

last week i drive to my area (28 miles away) and walk to the back of the truck to unhook the trailer. the first thing i see is engine oil dripping off the trailer safety chains. a little voice in my head said you really have a crappy day ahead. that little voice knew the truth.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I know you are joking but back when I had a manual transmission pkg car I had a battery die. The center manager and mechanic came out. The mechanic positioned his pickup truck behind the pkg car, pushed it and the center manager, who was driving, let go of the clutch and the pkg car started. I was told to leave it running the rest of the day.

Sober, a couple of months ago I was having issues with the keyless starter. I called the mechanic who asked me to try it while he was on the phone. I tried twice--did not start--tried a third time and it started. He gave me the lockbox key code, told me to use the key and to leave the pkg car running the rest of the day. You can call me stupid all you want--I will consider the source and move on--but I was working as directed. I only lost 5 minutes of time rather than the hour or more that it would have taken to swap out pkg cars.

You guys seem to forget that I deliver in the Bubble of Goodness where it is OK to leave unattended package cars running.

You are a veteran driver with as many years at UPS as I have.

If for whatever bizarre reason you are willing to accept the multitude of safety risks involved with leaving an unattended package car running all day while delivering...simply to help your management team look better on some daily report... that is certainly your business and my personal opinion doesnt need to matter to you.

What I do have a problem with....is when you criticize a new hire who is still on probation for not being willing to take such foolish risks.

I have no problem using some common sense out there when it comes to vehicle issues. I carry a tow rope with me and I cant count the number of times I have gotten help from people with 4x4's or tractors to get me unstuck. I have purchased a replacement headlight for my package car at an auto parts store on my route, installed it, and gotten reimbursed that night in order to save time and avoid a road call. I have wedged open a broken bulkhead door lock and used a bungee cord to keep the door closed all day in order to avoid a road call. However...under NO circumstances would I EVER violate a fundamental, basic safety rule by leaving a running vehicle unsecured. It is irresponsible and negligent of you to advise a new hire to do the same.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My attitude about jumper cables is this: I would not object to using them if UPS provided them and trained me in their proper use. They have not done that. I dont know the proper method for connecting jumper cables from a single-battery vehicle to a dual-battery setup, and I am not going to risk starting a fire or causing serious damage to the electrical system of either vehicle by trying to "figure it out." That is a job for a tow truck driver who has the correct equipment and training.

U

uber

You guys have to remember I'm on my pre-seniority so no matter what decision I make its the wrong one in the people above me's eyes.

HomeDelivery

most people connect jumper cables incorrectly to any dead vehicle...

you should connect positive cable to the positive post, but negative cable to engine ground
of the disabled vehicle ~ single or dual battery system

jumpstart2.jpg

When you jump a car with another car, or an extra battery, you hook positive to positive, and negative to a metal part of the dead car. When you connect + to - and + to - you create a short circuit, since the electricity was not meant to travel on that path, it was meant to go through the electrical parts of the car.
0996b43f8020d839.jpg
jumpstart2.jpg

OptimusPrime

most people connect jumper cables incorrectly to any dead vehicle...

you should connect positive cable to the positive post, but negative cable to engine ground
of the disabled vehicle ~ single or dual battery system

View attachment 7921

That can still be problematic. Make sure your ground is bare metal. Seems most engines bays these days are fully painted. But jumping a PC is a bad idea unless you are driving straight back to the center. Will just die again later on. It's not like a normal car scenario, where say you left the lights on. If a PC wont start, it would be because the battery just doesn't have the amperage to turn the engine over. Or the alternator is going/is bad.

Regardless, you don't owe a thing to your center, sups, UPS, etc. If it's broke, it's broke. Like I said, tinkering with a PC has no upside. (Maybe getting off earlier) They will nail you if something bad happens.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Thats what they started doing in our building if a car is dead in the morning. I would be tempted to get a jump on area if I was put in that situation, I have enough automotive knowledge to know how to do it. I have rebuilt engines before, so hooking up a couple of cables on a dual battery setup shouldn't be that difficult. I also have the wrecker service that my Hub uses on my area, so the wait wouldn't be that long. There is no way in the world that I would leave a package car running in a commercial type area to charge itself up.[/QUOT

Last edited:

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
It not my car they can fix it and they can be responsible for it. I just drive it.

The mechanics in art building don't jump the cars that are dead in the morning they change the batteries.

I would try to find out WHY the battery died before I go and change it. Just sets yourself up for another breakdown. Common sense.

oldngray

nowhere special
You were lucky your truck was almost empty. Mine usually seemed to usually break down when it was too full to sort the load.