Be careful about recording over 70s

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
Have you ever heard the saying "two wrongs don't make a right?" That is a childish mentality "you can falsify, so I can." Life isn't fair, people get different punishments for the same crime.
HTML:
[HTML][PHP] All you should worry about is how you conduct yourself [/PHP]
[/HTML]and how others conduct may affect you. If management does it, well, that's solely on them.

That is part of the problem everyone looking out for themselves .

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Why do they not just say "Hey, this is stealing, please stop. Record correctly in the future"? Um, because it's stealing (time, if you haven't figured it out).

Is this a bonus center? If not then it is nothing more than improper recording, no theft involved.

Funny how the Sups go strait to theft or dishonesty all the time!!!!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Is this a bonus center? If not then it is nothing more than improper recording, no theft involved.

Funny how the Sups go strait to theft or dishonesty all the time!!!!

Even without bonus it can still be construed as dishonesty. By affecting the planned day it can increase or decrease the drivers dispatch.

There is a difference, however, between falsifying records and making a bona fide data entry error.

The company will have to prove that the driver knew he was being dishonest.

We had a guy fired for falsifying his mileage, he was recording an extra 25 miles per day on his odometer reading. He did this every day for weeks, and when they caught him he had no explanation.

Anyone can make a mistake while entering data. But when the mistake benefits you and you keep on making it...it isnt a mistake any more.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
This driver was stupid. I'm sorry, but I have issue with anyone who is unethical. You can not say this driver didn't know this was wrong.
Good luck telling his wife he no longer works because he is a LIAR.

While it may or not be an ethics issue, I believe he will be reinstated if he goes the distance on this. We had a couple of employees fired on very flimsy unrelated dishonesty cases that were both reinstated after the mgmt team lost pretty much the hearts and minds of the remaining crew.

UPS has made this their whipping stick of choice since they alone define the broad brush of dishonesty. This simply makes it harder for them to keep the paint off their pants when someone is truly dishonest.

Its like the boy who cried wolf and was finally eaten by real wolves when the towns people thought it was another fake out.

brownrodster

One thing to be careful of is if you have a shipper than has packages that are under manifest as 1 pound or 30 pounds, yet are actually over 70.
The driver puts pkg in as over 70, but the weenie behind the computer in i.e. sees it as 30 pounds.

I've had many, many packages that I would bet money that they were over 70's. But didn't enter them as such because the weight on the label was not 70 or more.

It's pretty obvious that to enter a package as over 70 then it has to be over 70. And it's only over 70 if it says it's over 70 on the label. I'm not at liberty to guess a weight or put my job on the line for a guess.

On the flip side I've entered packages as over 70 when the label say's they are over 70 (and even have heavy tape) but are obviously in the 40-50 pound range. This is a grey area. Kind of dishonest but not really. But hey I'm not a human scale. If the label lists it's weight as over 70 then it is over 70.

I've picked up countless packages that were 68-69 pounds on the label. That is not over 70. And I have never listed them as such.

Last edited:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The average is probably 3 or 4 a day for most drivers. This company is all about averages. When you start showing up on reports well above the averages someones going to start looking.

old levi's

blank space
I have always thought that the time required to record an over 70 is probably greater than the allowance you will receive resulting in a negative allowance.
Does anyone know what fraction of a second is given for handling an over 70.
I bet it's the same length of time it takes for the pkg to fall from your hands to the top of your foot.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I have always thought that the time required to record an over 70 is probably greater than the allowance you will receive resulting in a negative allowance.
Does anyone know what fraction of a second is given for handling an over 70.
I bet it's the same length of time it takes for the pkg to fall from your hands to the top of your foot.
It may be a negative on your allowance, but it's a positive on your paycheck. Time is money :wink2:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I was told that the time allowance for handling an over 70 lb pkg is an additional 45 seconds on top of the standard time allowed for a normal package.

Certainly not that big of a deal unless you start claiming dozens or hundreds of over 70's per week.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Can you sheet a pkg as an over 70 if the combined weight of say, 5 pkgs on your handcart is over 70lbs?

As far as the ars pkgs. What if you pick up ars pkgs from one of your scheduled pick ups? Don't you scan them along with the rest of the pkgs and include them in your pick up tally?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Can you sheet a pkg as an over 70 if the combined weight of say, 5 pkgs on your handcart is over 70lbs?
Sure you can. As long as you don't mind explaining your reasoning at panel. :wink2:

As far as the ars pkgs. What if you pick up ars pkgs from one of your scheduled pick ups? Don't you scan them along with the rest of the pkgs and include them in your pick up tally?
That is correct, as far as I know. That's the way I do it anyway.

rebenunn

was wondering if any other areas were being told NOT to sheet up over 70's even if they are? We were told about a year ago to stop using that option!!! "was going to be discontinued" anyway. Another sad attempt from one of our 7 Sups we have had in 3 years at our center. Can't imagine why that happens can you? I am a steward and the drivers have been asking me. Just thought I can save a call to the rep if you guys know.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
was wondering if any other areas were being told NOT to sheet up over 70's even if they are? We were told about a year ago to stop using that option!!! "was going to be discontinued" anyway. Another sad attempt from one of our 7 Sups we have had in 3 years at our center. Can't imagine why that happens can you? I am a steward and the drivers have been asking me. Just thought I can save a call to the rep if you guys know.

I thing your Sup is wrong . In my center you can still record over 70, you just can't use special count A or B. I know this because I use special A once and the next day there was a ltr in my mail slot from I.E informing me if use it again i could face discipline and my sup wanted me to sign but I accidently threw it in the trash.