Beating letter boxes.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
YAll Orphans? I guess we all end up as such before we die.

Got a call from the hospital today about Sam. He passed away about 20 minutes after I left. During the last few days, I got a real education on what it means to not have family that cares, or for that matter, any one.

Sam was one of the most hateful, spiteful two legged creatures to ever walk the face of the earth. Has two brothers somewhere, but they have not spoken in 40 years. And the last time before this year I saw him, I would not have crossed the street to pee on him if he was on fire. Used to go to the same church as I.

Well, due to the large number of at risk kids in our church's ministry (16 kids in a suburban is really not safe) we ended up buying a bus. One with a handicap lift. About the same time, I learned that Sam had been confined to a nursing home. So I went by there to check on him. What a difference. I can only describe it as a God Thing. While he was confined to a wheelchair, he really enjoyed getting out and going to church. Even the kids got to know and like Sam a lot. They even drew straws as to which two would push him back into the nursing home. It was something to see the change, not only in Sam, but also the kids, most of whom have both parents in prison.

But at the end, Sam was pretty much all alone. Besides the pastor, I was the only other person to go in to be with him. And I was the only one that was treated as family when it came to actually knowing what was going on.

Interesting. Do you know what it takes to properly dispose of an indigent person? While Sam willed his body to the medical school, they are so over run with bodys they are now picking and choosing which ones they want. And Sam was not one of the lucky ones.

But the big thing is his dying alone. Not all alone, but mostly alone. ANd in a week or so, no one will remember or care.

I guess the seeds you sow earlier in life all do come to fruition.

BUt I digress.

Life sucks sometimes. And its hard to get a do-over.

So do it right the first time.

d

If that was directed to me you wasted a lot of keystrokes.
Just think how many keystrokes you've waisted out of your 17,140 posts. Try and find a real person to devote all this time you have on your hands. If you have to involve the computer try match.com. Sex feels good if you were getting some all this time on this site would be an after thought. Good luck bro

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
If that was directed to me you wasted a lot of keystrokes.
Why would you have to assume everything involves you? IT was not posted for your sake, but if it hit a nerve, maybe you need to pay attention?

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Danny, you quoted me out of context. Had you quoted the entire post you would have seen that I do not advocate picking drop boxes up early. We are paid good money to sit there and wait. I stated that it doesn't matter when you scan the drop box code as long as you are at the drop box when you scan and complete the stop. I do disagree with you one one point--if I am done a bit early I am not going to sit at the drop box beyond the pickup time on the box just to make sure that there are no stragglers. We put a time on the box for a reason.
Color me paranoid. If I get to a drop box early I won't even open the stop until it is 1 minute past the commit time. This way there is absolutely NO error, no questions. I don't trust my mgt that much.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Color me paranoid. If I get to a drop box early I won't even open the stop until it is 1 minute past the commit time. This way there is absolutely NO error, no questions. I don't trust my mgt that much.

It's not a matter of trust--it is a matter of technology. As long as you are at the drop box location when you complete the stop it doesn't matter when you scan the drop box barcode. If there is any question GPS will show you at the location when you hit stop complete.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
It's not a matter of trust--it is a matter of technology. As long as you are at the drop box location when you complete the stop it doesn't matter when you scan the drop box barcode. If there is any question GPS will show you at the location when you hit stop complete.
Ya, I know and I always do that but it is still a matter of trust to me. I understand that it is the stop complete time that matters and I understand why you would open early if you have a ton of air to scan in but typically this is not a necessity here. Our drop boxes rarely have more than a few letters to pick up so there is really no wasted time.

I do disagree with scanning in ARS's that are generated through out the day, into a drop box scan. We are told that all ARS's are to be scanned into prepaid. We are also not allowed to do unscheduled pick ups.