Becoming a better UPS employee

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Well gee sorry for asking a simple question. I just wanted to know why you wanted to become so productive....did a supervisor push you? Did a manager scold you? Are your numbers terrible?

Sheesh! :smart:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I cant add much more than the ones above.

Thing to remember, each one of us learns differently, each one can work at a different pace. To do the job fast, I would prefer smooth. When you get comfortable with the job, and become smooth, then you can work on speed.

Biggest thing to remember, work safe. You only have one body. UPS can have millions of new workers. If you damage your body, you are out and will kiss any future goodbye. So always work safe first. Never ever give up safety for speed.

As for the rest, it will come. Just give it time, and your best effort. And one day you will see.

d

IDoLessWorkThanMost

I'm sure that will come soon for me.. I get shuffled all around the building... awaiting my awards when the time comes.

When I was preloading as a part-timer, it was 3 trucks and a belt split - not p32s either, one 24 and two 700s....and during peak- they #$*$*% me- two 24's and a Rental p500 size.

You have it good!

Pre-PAS or post PAS at your building>?

IDoLessWorkThanMost

I cant add much more than the ones above.

Thing to remember, each one of us learns differently, each one can work at a different pace. To do the job fast, I would prefer smooth. When you get comfortable with the job, and become smooth, then you can work on speed.

Biggest thing to remember, work safe. You only have one body. UPS can have millions of new workers. If you damage your body, you are out and will kiss any future goodbye. So always work safe first. Never ever give up safety for speed.

As for the rest, it will come. Just give it time, and your best effort. And one day you will see.

d

Very nice post. It's all about smoothness.

Take your time, watch your fellow brothers and sisters and talk to them.
Ask them even. Good or bad advice, take it for what it's worth.

Get in a rhythm; especially if you are sorting or working repetitively. If you work something for long enough (this is true to almost anything), you develop a instintive and intuitive process that becomes second nature.

Then speed will develop.

Don't work fast; work effectively and safely.

thebrownbox

When I was preloading as a part-timer, it was 3 trucks and a belt split - not p32s either, one 24 and two 700s....and during peak- they #$*$*% me- two 24's and a Rental p500 size.

You have it good!

Pre-PAS or post PAS at your building>?
It's Post PAS at this building I did not ask the date when they got it but they said it has not been that long.

I hope I wont be doing this during peak I just might go nuts :whiteflag:

IDoLessWorkThanMost

It's Post PAS at this building I did not ask the date when they got it but they said it has not been that long.

I hope I wont be doing this during peak I just might go nuts :whiteflag:

Take your time. Make sure management knows that you are 100% capacity. If everyone on your belt hurries alot, you're in trouble. They generally underestimate the time involved in the process of sorting/splitting the belts in my experience, too.

Back in the days before PAS at another center, I was all over the building as a cover preloader (or something). Usually it was for filing a grievance! :D

Just do your job, and convince any junior on your belt to take their time and don't go for the glory ;and gusto;)

thebrownbox

Take your time. Make sure management knows that you are 100% capacity. If everyone on your belt hurries alot, you're in trouble. They generally underestimate the time involved in the process of sorting/splitting the belts in my experience, too.

Back in the days before PAS at another center, I was all over the building as a cover preloader (or something). Usually it was for filing a grievance! :D

Just do your job, and convince any junior on your belt to take their time and don't go for the glory ;and gusto;)

That happened on Friday I was told to "stack a little better" and my main job was to split the belt instead of loading the cars.. I understand that but boxes building up behind me was just too much on Friday so finally I got a little help.

everyone always asks me so how do I like it over here versus the primary.. I tell them it's pretty much the same only thing is I don't have to lift 70lb boxes over my head now.

each day I say to myself I wonder where they are going to throw me next.. but the real reason why I'm on the belt is the guy who was doing it before me left UPS to work at another job that was friend/T so that was that.

I guess the only good thing is you can interact with the drivers that you load the packages onto.. most still act a little cocky.

brownrodster

By the way...the radio comment (lol) reminded me... I regularly see people with MP3 players. But as far as I know it's against company policy, code, or however they choose to word it to bring these kinds of things in, no?

You are in small sort so you have absolutely no clue how much almost every other part time job at UPS sucks. Our turnover is so high that they ahve to let our part timers listen to their ipod or they'll even have a harder time finding people to do their crappy jobs for minimal pay.

DS

Fenderbender
Heres my take on your query, bag you.
You don't realize how important the work safely advice is.
That one time you try to do more than you should, could be
your last day at ups.Everyone is different,and you will find your
own ways of being efficient over time.Be aware of the different jobs
people around you are doing,and strive to move into one that appeals
to you.
If you go all out to impress management,they will notice,all it will get you is more work.Unless you want to be a sup,all you have to do,is
be dependable,consciencious,and accurate.

tieguy

Banned

Work slow down?

:D

Nice replies guys. I try to keep safety in mind when I'm there, being aware of how I'm moving my body and what's going on around me. I do lose sight of it somewhat when I'm trying to move it along when we get backed up. I noticed my speed has actually increased over the past week or so. I'm thinking partially because I finally started using gloves, but I'm also beginning to find my rhythm. The only thing my sup said to me is basically either go fast, or go slow and be accurate. I used to get all flustered and lose my head when they would move me from one spot to another in the middle of the shift, but I stay on track now.

By the way, I wasn't downing the ipod thing. I think it's good to have them, I'd just rather not try sneaking mine past security. Not much of a rule breaker.

DS, thanks, I like the way you worded that ;) and everyone else who's pushing the issue of safety. I guess it makes sense to focus on being smooth and accurate and letting the greater speed come with time. I just can't stand being one of the last ones bagging out, or sometimes THE last one. But like I said I'm picking up the pace and I've done it without sacrificing my safety. Small sort is pretty easy, sometimes I think the reason for my lack of speed is that I've lost 120 pounds over the past 2 years, despite my exercise at home and whatnot, my body hasn't grown used to having to be so energetic! But I love what I do compared to most of the other jobs I see, still want to become a sorter somewhere down the line.

But man, today sucked, 60% of our mesh bags were wrecked for whatever reason! :anxious: I don't even know how many people filled a bag, zipped it up, and went to throw it on the belt only to have all the packages fall out of the bottom.

Last edited:
Can't believe they spent a whole 3 minutes with you. Most don't get that much training.

that's pretty sad. there was boxes coming down from the sort, that i was supposed to be doing specific things with. some off to one side, some to the other, 3 different belts, a cart, some i was supposed to keep tally of. he explained all of it in that short time, then said ok you have to go FAST and he walked off. keep in mind i had never done anything but bagging before. i held my own for about 40 minutes then they sent me home because they were "overstaffed" so i'm guessing i wasn't as useful as they needed me to be. i would never go back to the pre-load shift though, it's awful compared to twilight. even for the dollar extra. these people didn't even know i was coming in or where to put me.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Finding your rhythm is part of what we are talking about being smooth. When it all comes together, you can be both fast and accurate.

YEars back, too many really, there were two of us sorters in the unload area. Between the two of us, sorting smooth and fast, we could at times stop the conveyor belts with the number of packages on them. Usually on the sort, there would be 4-5 sorters, and they never could do the same.

Your motivation and desire for success will go far at UPS. All the people I have trained at UPS, those that wanted to learn and do always did well. The ones that did not do well were the ones that either already knew everything, or just really didnt want to do the job in the first place.

d

tieguy

Banned
Typical mgt............Don't worry about it, work safe and if you are a little slow at first at least you are doing it right!!!!!!!!!! You will go faster with time.

Dilli I'm gratefulll that you give me all the credit in this case. But you should probably also credit many of your brothers in the ranks who don't want to have to pick up the slack for someone who learns to do the job slowly. As outspoken as you are you may not get that feedback from them but its out there if you listen. :peaceful:

Otherwise your advice is sound.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Dilli I'm gratefulll that you give me all the credit in this case. But you should probably also credit many of your brothers in the ranks who don't want to have to pick up the slack for someone who learns to do the job slowly. As outspoken as you are you may not get that feedback from them but its out there if you listen. :peaceful:

Otherwise your advice is sound.
Tie I know that you are right in that there are others that don't have the patience to allow a new worker to learn how to do the job. It sure would help if they would remember that they too were in the same position once, but alas, we don't work in the perfect world. LOL

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
By the way...the radio comment (lol) reminded me... I regularly see people with MP3 players. But as far as I know it's against company policy, code, or however they choose to word it to bring these kinds of things in, no?

I'm guessing it's just the sups giving slack the way they often do with cell phones. I sure could use a radio by my area though, it might drown out some of the yelling.

You could invest in something like this!
Amazon.com: Logitech 970173-0403 mm50 Portable Speakers for iPod White: Electronics

http://www.overstock.com/Electronic...ct.html?reviewsort=0&reviewpage=1#custreviews

P1016376a.jpg