Becoming a part time Training Supervisor

Jnostrom

Becoming a training supervisor, I expected there would be some serious training in communication, and how to manage people. I was let down when I realized learning the job came down to computer modules (which I was told to skip through), and one 10minute class with an insurance company rep on how to give feedback, which was pointless.
If you are not as competent as you think you should be, but working to be competent, you will be reminded of how incompetent you are often by your peers. The culture of the ups supervisor position is competition between one another based off everyone’s own insecurity.
They also won’t tell you what you are doing wrong, but rather put you in a tough situation to make you realize what you are doing wrong, identical to the abuse they do to hourlies they want to quit... It’s a scrutinized position, with no regards to personal ambition. The managers mainly care about paper work to save them from claims, so if you can learn that, you will be fine to stay, but how you handle your new hires, you will be criticized. If you think that politics are not a thing in a management position, you are wrong.
Finally, you are constantly doing union work. You will be a glorified hourly without the protection of the union. So before you think about moving up and getting that pay raise, think about whether or not you want to be abused with a collared shirt on. Anyone can do it, few choose to, and that’s for good reason.

Becoming a training supervisor, I expected there would be some serious training in communication, and how to manage people. I was let down when I realized learning the job came down to computer modules (which I was told to skip through), and one 10minute class with an insurance company rep on how to give feedback, which was pointless.
If you are not as competent as you think you should be, but working to be competent, you will be reminded of how incompetent you are often by your peers. The culture of the ups supervisor position is competition between one another based off everyone’s own insecurity.
They also won’t tell you what you are doing wrong, but rather put you in a tough situation to make you realize what you are doing wrong, identical to the abuse they do to hourlies they want to quit... It’s a scrutinized position, with no regards to personal ambition. The managers mainly care about paper work to save them from claims, so if you can learn that, you will be fine to stay, but how you handle your new hires, you will be criticized. If you think that politics are not a thing in a management position, you are wrong.
Finally, you are constantly doing union work. You will be a glorified hourly without the protection of the union. So before you think about moving up and getting that pay raise, think about whether or not you want to be abused with a collared shirt on. Anyone can do it, few choose to, and that’s for good reason.
And that's why they talk all the newbies into being part-time supervisors because they know they will fall for making an extra couple nickels in there paycheck

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

This needs to be stickied mods

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Glad you realized this one week in, right?

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
tenor.gif

EverybodyLovesMike

No, my name isnt mike
"You will always be doing union work."

This. You're actually a cheaper source of labor for the company given you'll most likely never get injured doing work that you're not supposed to do, right? But also, since you dont have union protection and you are working to meet unreasonable demands, work like your life depends on it while those 'lazy union workers' can work at a safe pace without fear of being fired.

You're also cheaper given your bennies are roughly half as good as those who are in the union except you'll have to pay for it on top of it.

Not to rub salt on that wound but if you want to retire, you better contributing to that "super" 401k with your glorious semi annual raise that is worth less than you are to the company. Pretty low.

Quit and come back in 6 months. It isnt worth regretting it 6 years down the line and you still hate your life.

watdaflock?

Becoming a PT Sup is great for college kids, who'll eventually get a degree and needs resume filler before their career begins. Other than that, good luck going up the UPS management totem pole. Hopefully you are willing to relocate for advancement.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
"You will always be doing union work."

This. You're actually a cheaper source of labor for the company given you'll most likely never get injured doing work that you're not supposed to do, right? But also, since you dont have union protection and you are working to meet unreasonable demands, work like your life depends on it while those 'lazy union workers' can work at a safe pace without fear of being fired.

You're also cheaper given your bennies are roughly half as good as those who are in the union except you'll have to pay for it on top of it.

Not to rub salt on that wound but if you want to retire, you better contributing to that "super" 401k with your glorious semi annual raise that is worth less than you are to the company. Pretty low.

Quit and come back in 6 months. It isnt worth regretting it 6 years down the line and you still hate your life.
And I'll be filing

ManInBrown

You lost me at becoming a supervisor.

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
I thought it was a little shady how “great” I was doing my first couple of months. They sure praise you when they want you to switch from Union to management....until they get shot down and realize they can’t get to you. On to the next newbie.