How is it determine which PT employees get offered a management position?

trickpony1

Magpie needs to be very careful about what he/she wishes for.
Things aren't always what they seem and the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.

Cautiously helping.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
I assumed since I was part of a union that management would be offered based on seniority. But I've been at UPS for just shy of two years now and I've watched multiple people that have been here less than a year become supervisors before me. I've told the boss that I plan to stick around for years and that I'd like a supervisor position, but he just seems to ignore that. So if it's not offered based on seniority, then how does one obtain a supervisor position?
At my building, All the hot 19-23 yr old girls get “promoted” to pt sup after one or two weeks lol

Anonymous1998

I assumed since I was part of a union that management would be offered based on seniority. But I've been at UPS for just shy of two years now and I've watched multiple people that have been here less than a year become supervisors before me. I've told the boss that I plan to stick around for years and that I'd like a supervisor position, but he just seems to ignore that. So if it's not offered based on seniority, then how does one obtain a supervisor position?
You get the supervisor position just based on an interview and how well you work. It has nothing to do with seniority. Just who they decide to chose for the job. Personally, I worked so hard on my shift and really stood out. I was one of the best workers on my shift and I'm a female. Set your mind to it and show how good of a worker you are. Make sure you are not misloading and really take the quality of your work seriously.

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
You get the supervisor position just based on an interview and how well you work. It has nothing to do with seniority. Just who they decide to chose for the job. Personally, I worked so hard on my shift and really stood out. I was one of the best workers on my shift and I'm a female. Set your mind to it and show how good of a worker you are. Make sure you are not misloading and really take the quality of your work seriously.

Anyone can become a supervisor, literally anyone. Has nothing do with your work ethic.

PT Car Washer

Higher wage rate than a PT package handler with the same years of service +5.5 guarantee vs 3.5 guarantee = promoted. Just because you wouldn't want the job is immaterial.
All true but the chances of going FT either driving or management is slim to none. The same can be said for any wage increases.

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
Higher wage rate than a PT package handler with the same years of service +5.5 guarantee vs 3.5 guarantee = promoted. Just because you wouldn't want the job is immaterial.

Selling your soul for a couple bucks isn’t a promotion. I’ll gladly take my 3.5 over getting screamed at by my lead every night.

dudebro

All true but the chances of going FT either driving or management is slim to none. The same can be said for any wage increases.
Things may differ from state to state but lack of opportunity to go FT hasn't been my experience. As for wage increases, this is one of the areas where management benefits from union wage negotiation - the PT sup wage rate has to stay above the starting package handler wage rate. If the Teamsters are successful in raising the starting rate to 20/hour in 2023, the PT sups will get a raise too.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
In 5 years there's a VERY good chance the PT package Handler will be working Full Time. You on the other hand will neve go any further. I know there are a few exceptions to the rules here and there but 99.999999999999999% of the time you've peaked

542thruNthru

It's not a promotion. It's just two separate divisions in the same company. Can you be "promoted" to a driver or mechanic or porter as a PT sup? No you have to be hired as a "off the street" hire. You're essentially applying for a whole other job when you put your letter of intent in to become a PT sup.

You literally went for the lowest position in one division to the lowest position of the other.