Being accused of hitting a dog- On Topic

By The Book

So should I fight it? If they say it's on my record I should just grieve it?
If it's only on your record stating there was an incident at this location and it clearly states you're not at fault, I wouldn't worry/stress out any longer over it. You have many years left with your center team and have mentioned how they have your back, food for thought. Don't make a mountain out of a molehill.

1Simplemann

Just hearing the stories I've heard from people about how shady this company is with charging people with accidents, I am content with an unavoidable even though I did NOT hit the stupid dog. My center manager told me a story about a driver who was charged with an accident that ups knows 100% he didn't do, but he was still charged because ups wrote a check to protect their image!

I have done mostly rural routes all this year and have never before NI1'd stops in the country before because of dogs. But this stop, the dogs are very bad and I just learned yesterday that the people had just moved in their 3 weeks ago which is why I had never seen these dogs before. You can talk to the regular driver and he will tell you how bad they are. That is why they are a permanent will call now. I decided I couldn't safely turn around at their house or risk getting bit by the dog(s) so I reversed enough to where they stopped chasing the truck and got turned around and got out of the situation.

As for slowing down and paying extra attention... I stated what happened in the original post. I was going 5mph max but probably slower than that because the one dog was running at the tires but I also had to keep an eye on the other dog. At anytime I couldn't see one of the dogs I stopped completely, got out of my seat to shoo the dog away, then tried to go forward again. I did everything I could and there is nothing I could have done differently in this situation! Keep in mind you have had your route for a while so you have dealt with the dogs on your route multiple times and know how they act when they see you. I am a cover driver and don't know how the dogs at each stop are going to act. If there is a stop where dogs act like this I am not going to put my career at risk. If the dogs are going to run at the tires then I'm NI1'ing the packages unless I can safely leave them elsewhere.
Keep in mind that I was a coverage driver once. I understand the situation you are being put in. It comes with the territory. JD has covered every route in the center for years and no dogs hits. It can be done. Grow a set and deliver them. Your a little gun shy right now but you did nothing wrong. Also don't let them say you did either. Get it on record. NO accident. They have to prove you did it. Don't let them push you into an unavoidable accident just so they can push this under the rug. Let me know what the steward says.

If it's only on your record stating there was an incident at this location and it clearly states you're not at fault, I wouldn't worry/stress out any longer over it. You have many years left with your center team and have mentioned how they have your back, food for thought. Don't make a mountain out of a molehill.
When they pull out your rap sheet and start listing then one by one they never look to see if it's unavoidable.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I would try this but 1. Unapproved passengers means termination. So if someone saw it happen ad didn't like it then they could call in a concern and you get fired. 2. How do I know if the dog is going to bite me or not?
1. A dog is not considered a passenger.

2. In 29 years I have never been bitten or seen aggressive behavior from a dog that jumped up into the cab. A dog that jumps into the cab wants to be petted, to be given a biscuit, to go for a ride, or all 3.

Another trick is to break a couple of biscuits into a handful of crumbs and then toss them into a bush. The dog(s) will be distracted and will go searching for the crumbs while you proceed to the house and get the truck turned around.

vvv

Or you could follow the methods. You attempt to walk the driveway. If there is a dog present then you put note on the box and leave (NI1). Drivers make things so complicated.
If I am ever doing a stop and a dog is present......even if it is the neighbors......NO ATTEMPT is made to deliver the package and it's either written up as NI1 or given to clerk for pickup. Some of you are really stupid.

If I am ever doing a stop and a dog is present......even if it is the neighbors......NO ATTEMPT is made to deliver the package and it's either written up as NI1 or given to clerk for pickup. Some of you are really stupid.
Have never NI a non sig. Required pkg. due to dogs, goats, cows/horses, bison, or bears.

rod

Retired 22 years

Good lord--If I had went by your rules I could have just left the truck in the building and made everyone come get their packages. If you are truly taking it to those extremes you should have never applied at UPS in the first place.