Being Moved around unfairly (On Topic)

CrownMe

So, I’m an unloader at UPS and I wanted to know we’re there any rules where I can prevent the supervisors and management from moving me from my assigned area. I have the most seniority on my side and people who come late are often the ones taking my place.

Nah
So, I’m an unloader at UPS and I wanted to know we’re there any rules where I can prevent the supervisors and management from moving me from my assigned area. I have the most seniority on my side and people who come late are often the ones taking my place.

If you have the most seniority, tell management politely that you would like to exercise your seniority to stay where you are. If they move you, file a grievance.

Alternatively, suck at whatever position they move you to. This method is somewhat backhanded and may make management angrier than if you grieved it.

Days

If it’s still an unloading position there’s nothing that can be grieved. But you can maybe complain to management about it.

If you’re being moved to a position that isn’t unloading, then you can grieve

CrownMe

If it’s still an unloading position there’s nothing that can be grieved. But you can maybe complain to management about it.

If you’re being moved to a position that isn’t unloading, then you can grieve
That’s what I meant I’m an unloader being moved to a loading area when I have way more seniority than everyone else on my belt

Air Recovery

Grieve it. First step to a grievance is informing management politely of the issue and offering them a chance to fix it. If no resolution get in touch wirh a good shop steward

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
If I were in the unload I would welcome being moved.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Call their bluff

I’ll either stay here and do this job or I quit

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
If you didn’t bid the job you can’t grieve it

just work at a safe and comfortable pace, you’re here to collect a check for your labor

Justaloader

It’s mindless work therefore making it easy. Throw in a headphone and throw them packages baby. I launched so many TVs when I was unloading. Why people order those online is beyond me.

What's their alternative? Go to Best Buy or some other electronics retailer and pick it up? How do you think the TV's get to those stores? (Granted, they are packed better via shrink wrapped pallets when shipped to those stores, but, as they are being unloaded.....different story. I'm speaking from experience.)

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member

Where I'm from (710), we can't do this.

Part -time Employees will be given the opportunity to move to a preferred job position on their current shift based on seniority, when such jobs become available in their center before the company hires from the outside. These positions shall include, but not be limited to: Preloader, Sorter, Clerical, Data Acquisition, SPA, Small Sort, Surepost, High Picks, Irregular Train, Designated Responder, Car Washer, Spotter, Loader and Unloader. Employees do not have the right to select any specific unit, load or workstation.

Maybe you have a strong enough local to get this changed, or maybe your supplement allows it, but it is pretty clear cut in my version of the contract.

You should check out the contract language, and your rider/supplement here:
UPS and UPS Freight Agreements, 2018 – 2023