Being promoted to PT supervisor, what can I do to prepare for the job?

A

Article 3

I started as a loader and got moved to pick off about 4 weeks in, I’ve been there about a month and a half now. I’m just trying to make more money. I’m only 20 so if this doesn’t work out it won’t be the end of the world, I know a lot of people say pt supervisors basically hate their existence but the supervisors at my hub don’t seem that way.
Think about it.

You have been there 6 weeks so why did they come to you about being a supervisor? You don't really know squat about the operation.

Are there any other hourly fighting for the job? Hmmm, why not?

Why throw away your dignity for "power" just to be treated like a little kid and demeaned in the conference calls?

Masochists don't make it here very well or very long. FYI

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I’m being promoted to a pt supervisor in the next couple of months, what are some things that I should know to expect? I realize that many are against becoming pt management and I’ve thought it over quite a bit and realize this is something I do want to pursue. My hub is run well and I get along with all of the supervisors. Any tips or anything anyone with pt sup experience can give me is appreciated. Thanks in advance
Do some homework on this subject. Then turn down promotion .....unless you are one those........

KoennenTiger

I always laugh when some half able preloafer they can't fire shows up in a maroon shirt. Hang out and listen to the newish preloaders in disbelief that they got a promotion lol.

A few weeks later they get fired.

Then there's the just can't make it at a real job guys who get perma "promoted" to PT sup.

Tbf my center in the past five years has done a much better job at who they promote to FT. Family men. I'll take a family man who knows what he's giving up for his family and who cares about this companies success. I still dream about one day cashing a pension check... Sweet dreams

A

Article 3

I’m being promoted to a pt supervisor in the next couple of months, what are some things that I should know to expect? I realize that many are against becoming pt management and I’ve thought it over quite a bit and realize this is something I do want to pursue. My hub is run well and I get along with all of the supervisors. Any tips or anything anyone with pt sup experience can give me is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Ever since this came about, I've been on a "DGAF" mindset. I have been with this company for 13 years and to have these "new-booty" sups having less than a year making the same amount as me makes me sick to my stomach. On top of that my fellow sups that have been there for just about as long as me all got the $1,000 on top of their raise when I did not. I got the short end of the stick because I was $1.00 off from the required $0.75 range to get the $1,000.
Mind you, I was the one always going above and beyond in order to be the best. It's pretty sad that instead of someone pulling me aside and asking whats going on; since I had gone from being one of the best sups to looking like that hourly worker that acts like he got dragged out of bed and forced to work.
It's definitely demoralizing to continue to work for a company that treats their veteran sups like how they treat me. That is not the only reason that made me like this but it was the straw that broke the camels back. Time and time again, they blow smoke up my you know what with false promises and bend me over time and time again.
Not saying it was right, but I can only imagine those workers that went postal did what did felt these same feelings of betrayal and disgust. I would never. I repeat, NEVER do what they did or condone their behavior but just stating how easy it is for someone be put in that situation to rationalize doing what they do.
Not to sound cocky but my whole career at UPS, I was the best at everything I did. You could ask anyone that knew me. Now, I'm a pretty crappy employee. I mean, they dont deserve my complete effort. I give them what they feel I'm worth, which is the equivalent of a "new-booty" sup that doesn't know jack. My answer to everything is "I don't know." Sorry for the long reply but I just felt like getting that off my chest.

trailer loader

Trailer Loader
were you offered this "promotion"? or did you ask to become a supe? If you were offered the position, goodluck, in my hub, those who have been offered the job have all been fired,( easy way for ups to fire a :censored2:ty employee, give them a supe spot and let them die) the 2 that actually asked for the open supe spots are still there and do decent,

Here, a promotion to pt supe is a demotion. They give it to the people who can't load or make decent numbers. It's not a big secret that they promote people off the line because they'd be impossible to fire. It's just easier to get them away from big boy work before they hurt somebody.

KoennenTiger

were you offered this "promotion"? or did you ask to become a supe? If you were offered the position, goodluck, in my hub, those who have been offered the job have all been fired,( easy way for ups to fire a :censored2:ty employee, give them a supe spot and let them die) the 2 that actually asked for the open supe spots are still there and do decent,

Half of em here are the worst employees we have. They tell them they want to promote them and a month later they can finally fire them. No way our local would let them go. Heck sometimes I wish the local wasn't so proactive, not really, but gosh guys do you really need to defend this girl? I mean she's horrible... How many times does the company have to fire her?

Maybe they can "promote" her

Superteeth2478

Half of em here are the worst employees we have. They tell them they want to promote them and a month later they can finally fire them. No way our local would let them go. Heck sometimes I wish the local wasn't so proactive, not really, but gosh guys do you really need to defend this girl? I mean she's horrible... How many times does the company have to fire her?

Maybe they can "promote" her
As a steward, I can say that personally the reason I defend people that really are screwups is because I know the company is in the wrong with a lot of the things they do all the time as well. If the company can do messed up :censored2:, then I'll defend people with, for example, piss-poor attendance. I will also try to get them to change their attendance, but as long as they aren't doing something obviously bad like stealing (and I know for a fact that they are) I'll defend them.

Management members are allowed to do things like alter timecards and are allowed to get away with it (or given a slap on the wrist for it), so why shouldn't Joe Blow who shows up to work once a week be able to keep his job until the discipline gets all the way to panel and he finally loses his job for it 2 years later? Oftentimes it's because management is too lazy to discipline people anyways.

KoennenTiger

As a steward, I can say that personally the reason I defend people that really are screwups is because I know the company is in the wrong with a lot of the things they do all the time as well. If the company can do messed up :censored2:, then I'll defend people with, for example, piss-poor attendance. I will also try to get them to change their attendance, but as long as they aren't doing something obviously bad like stealing (and I know for a fact that they are) I'll defend them.

Management members are allowed to do things like alter timecards and are allowed to get away with it (or given a slap on the wrist for it), so why shouldn't Joe Blow who shows up to work once a week be able to keep his job until the discipline gets all the way to panel and he finally loses his job for it 2 years later? Oftentimes it's because management is too lazy to discipline people anyways.

I have mad respect for my local and for my stewards. I don't mean it that they should not file and follow up on our hard won contract m I've seen the union protect the hardest working guys and the laziest. I can only speak for my union but they are fantastic.

I just wish and dream sometimes that the worst of the worst would be left off. Dream. But if the union can fight that and win, they can fight the fastest runner gunner in my loop getting fired and a week later he's there.

Just as when the company totally fked me over and then after their choices and their decisions left me unable to do my job and my FTer tells me I have to "do more" because he's "trying to save my job"

Save my job? Then fire me do whatever we both know if you do in one week my local will have my job back. You can't threaten me mngmt go ahead and fire me for your mistakes. They can get the worst of the worst back.

I very much appreciate you bro. Fight every battle just ignore my complaining that's all it is. Venting. Labor power when it comes down to it I'm on the unions side every single time. Mngmt you're giving her too much work. Sure I'll go help her out, for more 1.5 times my pay.

Maybe you can stop over working my teamster sister?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Congratulations on your promotion.

Make a decision right here and right now to not quit or resign. Let them fire you if they ever want to get rid of you. Important

1. Get a notebook and write down critical interactions between yourself and all of your coworkers, mainly those in authority over you. Your full-time sups and managers.

Keep it simple, document exactly what was said, who said it and when it was said. Your statements and theirs.

Learn the UPS Policy Book.

Uphold all UPS policies with Integrity regardless of the difficulty or personal cost to you.

Learn the UPS Code of Business Conduct

Uphold the UPS Code of Business Conduct with Integrity regardless of the difficulty or personal cost to you.

Working as directed is not an excuse for wrong behavior. If your supervisor or manager directs you to do anything wrong, you need to immediately call the UPS help line. Do not do this anonymously, give your name so that the issue can be addressed.

PM me with questions if interested.

Again congratulations and good lucK!

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Congratulations on your promotion.

Make a decision right here and right now to not quit or resign. Let them fire you if they ever want to get rid of you. Important

1. Get a notebook and write down critical interactions between yourself and all of your coworkers, mainly those in authority over you. Your full-time sups and managers.

Keep it simple, document exactly what was said, who said it and when it was said. Your statements and theirs.

Learn the UPS Policy Book.

Uphold all UPS policies with Integrity regardless of the difficulty or personal cost to you.

Learn the UPS Code of Business Conduct

Uphold the UPS Code of Business Conduct with Integrity regardless of the difficulty or personal cost to you.

Working as directed is not an excuse for wrong behavior. If your supervisor or manager directs you to do anything wrong, you need to immediately call the UPS help line. Do not do this anonymously, give your name so that the issue can be addressed.

PM me with questions if interested.

Again congratulations and good lucK!
11FA1040-BAC7-4B58-95A1-2B61F5C64F2B.gif

Blackadder 2

Learn to lie with a straight face.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
I just wish and dream sometimes that the worst of the worst would be left off. Dream. But if the union can fight that and win, they can fight the fastest runner gunner in my loop getting fired and a week later he's there.
But were they bad to begin with? Or were they burned repeatedly that they said ":censored2: it, watch me make your career a living hell."?