Being social with a business route

margaritaville

As a cut driver its easy to deal with people since i can just say "hey how its going?" and leave. Ill be on a route for like a week or less and not deal with the person again. I feel like if i had my own route that, "hey hows its going?" would get stale after the first couple times.

I can't think of something interesting to say everyday and unless the other person is really interesting i don't want to learn much about them anyways. I feel like if i ever had a heavy business route i would just would get annoying asking "how it's going" and just start resorting to "hi" and holding out my board to not waste time. Since they will catch on i'm just saying that to be nice and don't really want to keep talking.

I just wonder if non witty drivers with heavy commercial stops say the same phrase EVERYDAY or try to change it up. I'm not extremely anti-social i just think trying to be witty and give something different back would be hard. Everyone just response with "good, how are you?" And i say "good" since i don't have time to waste. But i feel like that gets extremely stale and awkward after more than a week.

The Driver

I drive.
As a cut driver its easy to deal with people since i can just say "hey how its going?" and leave. Ill be on a route for like a week or less and not deal with the person again. I feel like if i had my own route that, "hey hows its going?" would get stale after the first couple times.

I can't think of something interesting to say everyday and unless the other person is really interesting i don't want to learn much about them anyways. I feel like if i ever had a heavy business route i would just would get annoying asking "how it's going" and just start resorting to "hi" and holding out my board to not waste time. Since they will catch on i'm just saying that to be nice and don't really want to keep talking.

I just wonder if non witty drivers with heavy commercial stops say the same phrase EVERYDAY or try to change it up. I'm not extremely anti-social i just think trying to be witty and give something different back would be hard. Everyone just response with "good, how are you?" And i say "good" since i don't have time to waste. But i feel like that gets extremely stale and awkward after more than a week.

Most of us delivery drivers aren't particularly outgoing. Lately I've just been trying to say "hi" and leave it at that. Unless the person in question is hot.

CanOSup

One of them

I really hate to disagree with you but only a significantly socially awkward person analyze a greeting with a customer. If you really need advice though try licking your lips aggressively, scratch your ass, then go for a handshake. They will probably skip the greeting for you next time.

Box Ox

I just wonder if non witty drivers with heavy commercial stops say the same phrase EVERYDAY or try to change it up. I'm not extremely anti-social i just think trying to be witty and give something different back would be hard.

Been my experience that business customers tend to think of UPS drivers are super cool guys they don't mind opening up to. So when you say "Hey, how's it going?", they think you're really asking.

Try something like "Hey, got x (# of packages) for you today". Shovel it out, give a "See ya" while turning around and walking away after signature.

Don't say something that suggests you're expecting a response if you don't really want one. You can greet a customer without putting it in the form of a question.

WorknLateHuh

It's kind of funny you're breaking down all the angles of what to say to customers. You seem more concerned with how you will be perceived if you say the same ole thing every time. It all comes down to what kind of person you are. If you want to talk then talk, if you don't then don't.

to alleviate any awkwardness, friend request all customers you know on facebook. Then the next day, confront them and ask why the didn't "friend" you. This will make great conversation.

Edit: but then again, this will require you to learn their name. So this might be too scary for you

UPSER110

Yeah, just say hey I got XX for you today. Who really cares if they talk back or what they think of you. Most of the time I just say hey, hows it going, small talk about the weather, something going on in town, new food place etc. while I'm unloading/ waiting for a sig. I have covered alot of routes and get to know people, sometimes I'll take 10-15 mins of break and just BS with certain customers. I always thank the people that meet me half way or help unload some bulk and thats that. Have a great day and I'm out.

Poop Head

Judge me.
So this is kinda wierd.. first off, I sweat..ALOT. second, I do not wear de-oderant. Third, I rarely do laundry. Needless to say I almost always smell awful. And don't have a bid route. Whenever the reg driver would get back on his route he would tell me how some customers would say stuff like "Hey, where's the stinky one?" Lmao! They would also say that I was nice and polite (lies?) Anyways, this could be coincidence, but I started getting dispatched almost exclusively resis! (Off of 3 or 4 routes) it was great! No commits, no business, no stress!! We'll see what happens when I go back in may :)
Hope this helps! Hahaha

Box Ox

second, I do not wear de-oderant

From one sweat-heavy guy to another: Can't really excuse that. I've had BO-heavy TCDs nearly kill me on the spot pulling stops off. I wouldn't want you delivering to me if I were a regular business customer.

Skip the smelly rep and get a $3 stick of natural/baking soda DO.

Poop Head

Judge me.
From one sweat-heavy guy to another: Can't really excuse that. I've had BO-heavy TCDs nearly kill me on the spot pulling stops off. I wouldn't want you delivering to me if I were a regular business customer.

Skip the smelly rep and get a $3 stick of natural/baking soda DO.
The smell is more from my clothes than anything. My wife would get on my case about it once in a while but I just tell her it's my babe-repellent and she shuts right up :) the few times that I have used body spray or whatever, she assumes I'm trying to get on some ho on route. Management never said anything to me either, and if it gets me a gravy dispatch-ill take it! Like I said, thats prob just coincidence though..

35years

Gravy route
We have a large stinky driver in our center.
He stinks in the morning, before he even works.
He exudes a strong rotten garlic smell out of his pores.
It makes me want to vomit.
Wear some deodorant!

Poop Head

Judge me.
Bahhh, I really don't care what other people think. Like I said, management has not harassed me, no customer has ever said anything to my face, the other drivers just say it jokingly. I deliver the packages, pickup packages, punchout. Go home and shower(most days)