Being social with a business route

ManInBrown

If "how's it going or what's up" seems like it would get monotonous wait until you've been asked a 100 times in one day "hot enough for you?" or "cold enough for you?"

Yes. That's the absolute worst. I have a business on my route with a few women up front. Most are pleasant but the one always says something dumb. So a few months ago it was maybe 15 or 20 degrees. She says "oh Wow. Is it cold out?"

I replied with "Did you teleport to work this morning. You haven't been outside?"

Just shook my head and walked out. It doesn't exactly help her cause that they don't give me squat at Christmas. If they did I might play along.

rod

Retired 22 years
Yes. That's the absolute worst. I have a business on my route with a few women up front. Most are pleasant but the one always says something dumb. So a few months ago it was maybe 15 or 20 degrees. She says "oh Wow. Is it cold out?"

I replied with "Did you teleport to work this morning. You haven't been outside?"

Just shook my head and walked out. It doesn't exactly help her cause that they don't give me squat at Christmas. If they did I might play along.

There were times I got tired hearing "are the roads slippery?" after it had been snowing all day or maybe a freezing rain. I got so I would just say "no-they're fine" and let them find out for themselves.

Rack em

Made the Podium
My favorite is when they go to sign the diad they'll ask "Why is this thing so cold?" Oh gee I don't know, maybe because it's -5 out right now!?!?

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
I have a farmer on my route that will damn near blow up a John Deere tractor trying to stop me as I'm leaving after I dr a pkg at his house. Same reply every time....."Do I need to sign????" Well if you really want to, bud. WTF is it about signing a damn diad that fascinates some people?

rod

Retired 22 years
Being social with customers is what kept me sane for 30 years. Interacting with management is what about drove me to murder a few times.

MC0493

I'm not a conversation starter, kind of had to become slightly more sociable with this job but my greeting usually consists of mornin' and thats it. If conversation progresses, sure i'll talk a bit as i try to be on good terms with all customers. Once you've done a route for a while you learn who you like and actually look forward to stopping by said place each day for a brief chat. Good people make the day better.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
I sweat like a bastard...and as far as talking to customers I say hey how's it going got two for you...except if it's a hot chick I'll say hey I got 2 1/2 for ya and wink. If it's a jerk customer I usually try my hardest to fart on the way out.