Being social with a business route

rod

Retired 22 years
If "how's it going or what's up" seems like it would get monotonous wait until you've been asked a 100 times in one day "hot enough for you?" or "cold enough for you?"

Box Ox

wait until you've been asked a 100 times in one day "hot enough for you?" or "cold enough for you?"

Yeah. People can't comprehend how hot it is in the back of the truck on a summer day. If they could they wouldn't joke about it. Seriously breathtaking.

rod

Retired 22 years
Yeah. People can't comprehend how hot it is in the back of the truck on a summer day. If they could they wouldn't joke about it. Seriously breathtaking.

They also think the insides (front and back) are kept at a nice 72 degrees on a 10 below zero day.

40 stops to freedom

if you want to break up the monotony try changing up your accent or have fun with customer's that aren't used to the process and have them talk into the diad after they sign to confirm

*Jersey*

The smell is more from my clothes than anything. My wife would get on my case about it once in a while but I just tell her it's my babe-repellent and she shuts right up :) the few times that I have used body spray or whatever, she assumes I'm trying to get on some ho on route. Management never said anything to me either, and if it gets me a gravy dispatch-ill take it! Like I said, thats prob just coincidence though..
Are you for real? Lmao

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
yep, gets real annoying

But the worst one for me is, "Workin late, ehh??!!" when it's 5:30.
"I thought about being a driver, but I'd be bored just driving around all day"
Punch Chuck Norris.gif

People can be clueless.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
As a cut driver its easy to deal with people since i can just say "hey how its going?" and leave. Ill be on a route for like a week or less and not deal with the person again. I feel like if i had my own route that, "hey hows its going?" would get stale after the first couple times.

I can't think of something interesting to say everyday and unless the other person is really interesting i don't want to learn much about them anyways. I feel like if i ever had a heavy business route i would just would get annoying asking "how it's going" and just start resorting to "hi" and holding out my board to not waste time. Since they will catch on i'm just saying that to be nice and don't really want to keep talking.

I just wonder if non witty drivers with heavy commercial stops say the same phrase EVERYDAY or try to change it up. I'm not extremely anti-social i just think trying to be witty and give something different back would be hard. Everyone just response with "good, how are you?" And i say "good" since i don't have time to waste. But i feel like that gets extremely stale and awkward after more than a week.
Try being single, and you date a few woman and it doesn't work out?

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
to alleviate any awkwardness, friend request all customers you know on facebook. Then the next day, confront them and ask why the didn't "friend" you. This will make great conversation.

One of the pretty secretary's I deliver to everyday, asked how to find me on Facebook one time. I told her how, but she'd see pictures of my wife and kids, it made great conversation...

In another life, I'd be a rapper on the street who does the rap battle thing, along the lines of your momma jokes, so I'm always trying to crack a joke quickly based on what someone says.

Dr.Brownz

if you want to break up the monotony try changing up your accent or have fun with customer's that aren't used to the process and have them talk into the diad after they sign to confirm

LOL Did the accent thing one time as a younger driver. Russian accent all day.....until I got to a place where a Russian guy worked and he attempted to speak Russian to me. Afterwards he was like "I didn't think Russians came that dark" lol (I'm Italian) I'd do Italian but its too hard to not just sound like a cartoon character.

johnny_hotdog

A while back we were told not to talk to customers because it slows us down. Management told us if they ask us a question we a re supposed to direct them to the 800 help line. I feel like an ass when someone says "hey hows it going?" And I say "i'm not allowed to talk to customers you'll have to call 1-800-pickups for any questions you have" but whatever WAD right?:wink-very: