Being swung all over the place

AttackedHawk34

I feel like I learned to many routes at my current center and I'm not being treated fairly. In my first year of being a FT UPS cover driver I was sent home ALOT and it really annoyed me to the core. So in response to that problem I learned as much routes that I could and gained alot of area knowledge in the process which in turn became very valuable to me. The problem is that I think management knows this and in return I'm all over the place all the time and it seems like they rely on me to do these multitude of different routes different days of the week all year which I have no problem to be honest. The problem is that I noticed that there are like 6 to 7 dudes under me in seniority and everyday I notice on the schedule that these drivers do the same 2 or maybe 4 routes. This one driver I know been on the same one for like 7 months. What I want to know is did I do something wrong in trying to be too resourceful and dependable, or am I just a sucker for management to use on whatever day they please? I would love to do the same route or two everyday like those others underneath me in seniority . What do you think browncafers?

Last edited:

AttackedHawk34

And on the flip side I feel like they dont put me on the schedule sometimes (Which is rare) because I have alot of area knowledge and they know that I will find work amongst the senior drivers that want a day off. While they put those under me in seniority on a route that they do all the time. Even if im an extra and dont really care to work I usually always end up working that said drivers route no matter what. Sometimes I like to have a day off but I never get it. its like these higher seniority drivers know that I know these routes and have my day planned before i even get to work which is usually 15mins before start time.

AttackedHawk34

I used to have great work ethics when I was scrubbing toilets. Found out really quick I was doing something wrong.
I hear ya but this is more than scrubbing toilets its a career. I have no college education and this pays the bills. What career or whatever pays you this amount of bread with no college education or training in a specific trade like plumbing or electrical? This career choice is a gift and a curse at times.

Box Ox

I feel like I learned to many routes at my current center and I'm not being treated fairly. In my first year of being a FT UPS cover driver I was sent home ALOT and it really annoyed me to the core. So in response to that problem I learned as much routes that I could and gained alot of area knowledge in the process which in turn became very valuable to me. The problem is that I think management knows this and in return I'm all over the place all the time and it seems like they rely on me to do these multitude of different routes different days of the week all year which I have no problem to be honest. The problem is that I noticed that there are like 6 to 7 dudes under me in seniority and everyday I notice on the schedule that these drivers do the same 2 or maybe 4 routes. This one driver I know been on the same one for like 7 months. What I want to know is did I do something wrong in trying to be too resourceful and dependable, or am I just a sucker for management to use on whatever day they please? I would love to do the same route or two everyday like those others underneath me in seniority . What do you think browncafers?

You learned lots of routes and now cover lots of routes. What did you expect? Management is going to utilize you to their greatest benefit.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
I hear ya but this is more than scrubbing toilets its a career. I have no college education and this pays the bills. What career or whatever pays you this amount of bread with no college education or training in a specific trade like plumbing or electrical? This career choice is a gift and a curse at times.
Threaten your on car sups that if they don’t work with you & be fair, that you’re going to sign every combo job or feeder job that comes up .

sandwich

The resident gearhead
I just like to be great at everything i do. I just have great work ethics
51A7F8FA-11E6-46CA-BFC6-EA94426F6E24.gif

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Show up early and swing your big, fat seniority around to bump those lower seniority drivers off those routes, if you so choose. Your situation is very similar to mine, but I’ve been at this for several years. I’ve used my area knowledge and ability to pick up new routes to learn a lot of gravy extended routes, while others are stuck on heavy in-town routes.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

It's job security.

Unfortunately, the company qualifies driver's that can't tell the difference

between North, South, East, and West. You'll be the one that doesn't wreak.

El Correcto

god is dead
I think you should use your seniority and bump people. File when they don’t plan to keep you on the same route and then try to cry about loss to the employer over them planning to screw you out of what little seniority you have earned.

It doesn’t matter if you got 30 years or 24 hours more seniority, you should have the right to bump those lesser employees and get a set schedule going for when those routes are in.

Whither

Scofflaw
They don't post a coverage list (we call it the "pick list") in your center each week allowing you to bid a route for the duration of the driver's absence?

Bid your own route. Problem solved.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
Find a :censored2:ty route that no one wants and learn it, that way you'll be on the same route doing the same thing every day.

Even the worst routes can become more manageable as they become more predictable the more you run them. That's how I've been on the same route for 7 months.

KOG72

I’m full of it
It sucks being at the bottom of the totem pole,we have all been there,evidently you’ll move up and one day you’ll have your own route,so just hang in there and be grateful you get to run something.