Being swung all over the place

over9five

Staff member
You learned lots of routes and now cover lots of routes. What did you expect? Management is going to utilize you to their greatest benefit.
^^^^This.

Bid your own route. Problem solved.
Yup.

Find a :censored2:ty route that no one wants and learn it, that way you'll be on the same route doing the same thing every day.

Even the worst routes can become more manageable as they become more predictable the more you run them. That's how I've been on the same route for 7 months.
Might be crappy, but it's YOURS.

PT Car Washer

They don't post a coverage list (we call it the "pick list") in your center each week allowing you to bid a route for the duration of the driver's absence?
My Center has bid coverage drivers. Drivers actually bid the position and are the only ones that can bid an open route by the day or week. Everyone else who do not have their own bid route are assigned open routes by area knowledge. Some higher seniority drivers actually prefer the job over having their own route for the variety and the chance to drive easier routes most days.

barnyard

KTM rider
Show up early and swing your big, fat seniority around to bump those lower seniority drivers off those routes, if you so choose. Your situation is very similar to mine, but I’ve been at this for several years. I’ve used my area knowledge and ability to pick up new routes to learn a lot of gravy extended routes, while others are stuck on heavy in-town routes.

I did the same when I was in cover. The last year I was a cover guy, I covered 5 routes. They were all retirement routes, it was just like I like.

KOG72

I’m full of it
I did the same when I was in cover. The last year I was a cover guy, I covered 5 routes. They were all retirement routes, it was just like I like.
When I covered routes I always tried to get the ones where the driver was out hurt,usually wound up running it atleast six months or more.

KOG72

I’m full of it
Yup. You'll get your own route, and then you will have to be an a/h for a while. They'll be asking you to cover something every day. Just say no. They'll hate you for a while, but they'll get over it.
They can only pull you off one day just raise hell

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
^^^^This.

Yup.

Might be crappy, but it's YOURS.
Exactly. Most days I run the same route and I’m a cover in year three. Nobody wants to do it because it has a bunch of slow crap with dangerous driveways and a rough pickup route.
But the truck is never full even on a long day, and I get left alone out in the woods. I know every driveway as if it were my own route. Customers think it’s my route.
Being a cover isn’t bad at all, you just gotta play the game. I’ll stay cover forever before I take a bricked out metro route with 30 daily airs and 75 pound petco boxes all over the truck.

barnyard

KTM rider
When I covered routes I always tried to get the ones where the driver was out hurt,usually wound up running it atleast six months or more.
I covered one for 3 years. Before I signed my bid, there was another route open for several months after the driver had a heart attack. The route delivered to a college and I did not have the patience to do that college, so I did not bid it or even cover it. I pretty much regret that now. That would have been my retirement route.

Rural routes with no pickups only for @MECH-lift ...100 stops , 100 boxes , 100 miles ...0 pickups
3bc5MV3VkOpMI.gif