• Undecided, openminded about them

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • No way, Jose !

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I agree. Its very arrogant or ignorant maybe to think we are the only intellegent life in the universe. Its simple math. If our solar system (yes Earth is included) is one in 100 million that contains life, then life exists on 100 million other planets. I base this on the fact that there are 100 miliion stars in our galaxy and then there are as many galaxies in our universe each containing 100 million stars.

The problem is, everything is so far away that nobody could ever get here. This is the only reason why I don't believe in UFO's. Its just too damn far for any one to travel.

Perhaps, however that the UFO's are time travelers and not aliens! How cool would that be!
If you're going to consider the possibility that there is other intelligent life in the universe, you also have to consider the time scales involved when thinking about how advanced they could be relative to us. There has been life on earth for many millions of years, but modern humans only for the last 40,000 or so. Farming didn't develop until around 10,000 years ago. So in approx 10,000 years we've gone from being hunter/gatherers to landing on the moon. Assuming we don't blow ourselves up, what we could we achieve in 2-3 million years? The possibilities are almost inconceivable. If there's a planet out there where intelligent life did evolve million of years ago there is really no telling what they might be capable of as far as space travel, etc. I like the time travel idea though, that's pretty good.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I wasn't clear. I didn't mean that you were arrogant. I meant that Mankind is arrogant to think he is the only, or most, intelligent being in the billions and billions (insert Carl Sagan accent) of planets in the galaxy.

I think the same thing when I hear about "God". No proof, only drawings.

Thank you, exactly.
It's funny how we're (mankind) is arrogant when speculating about life afar, but believing in God is farfetched.

I agree. Its very arrogant or ignorant maybe to think we are the only intellegent life in the universe. Its simple math. If our solar system (yes Earth is included) is one in 100 million that contains life, then life exists on 100 million other planets. I base this on the fact that there are 100 miliion stars in our galaxy and then there are as many galaxies in our universe each containing 100 million stars.

The problem is, everything is so far away that nobody could ever get here. This is the only reason why I don't believe in UFO's. Its just too damn far for any one to travel.

Perhaps, however that the UFO's are time travelers and not aliens! How cool would that be!

maybe Nessie, and Saskquatch (bigfoot).
I remember seeing Bigfoot foot prints when I went hunting with my dad as a kid. They were clearly marked deep in the snow.
My Dad and his buddy (and myself), followed those foot steps..... then they decided to turn around, and me as a little kid had to ask why...
They both thought it was too scary.

It was scary enough for me...... because we actually slept in the station wagon in the mountains, and when we woke up.... the huge foot prints were right at the car, as if he (Bigfoot) looked inside it.

True story, but no pics to prove it :(
I wonder if they also told you about the incredible snipe's.

Where I grew up there was a big valley behind our house,and we spent a lot of summer nights sitting on the hill watching the sky.
The planes were easy to spot always going in a straight line.If you looked really hard you could pick out satellites moving in a slow dedicated circle around the earth.
What we also saw were lights that defied physics.They would zig zag between hundreds of miles instantly.They were too far away to discern shape,but they were
there almost every night.Often in groups.I did have one close encounter that I cant explain because even the next day it was a kind of blur in my mind.
I don't believe I was abducted,but it was like I'd been programmed to not remember it.
Maybe some day you skeptics will get your proof.
And now they're trying to get those drugs legalized, go figure.:wink2:

If you're going to consider the possibility that there is other intelligent life in the universe, you also have to consider the time scales involved when thinking about how advanced they could be relative to us. There has been life on earth for many millions of years, but modern humans only for the last 40,000 or so. Farming didn't develop until around 10,000 years ago. So in approx 10,000 years we've gone from being hunter/gatherers to landing on the moon. Assuming we don't blow ourselves up, what we could we achieve in 2-3 million years? The possibilities are almost inconceivable. If there's a planet out there where intelligent life did evolve million of years ago there is really no telling what they might be capable of as far as space travel, etc. I like the time travel idea though, that's pretty good.
And the "truth" is right there for ya.

P

pickup

Where I grew up there was a big valley behind our house,and we spent a lot of summer nights sitting on the hill watching the sky.
The planes were easy to spot always going in a straight line.If you looked really hard you could pick out satellites moving in a slow dedicated circle around the earth.
What we also saw were lights that defied physics.They would zig zag between hundreds of miles instantly.They were too far away to discern shape,but they were
there almost every night.Often in groups.I did have one close encounter that I cant explain because even the next day it was a kind of blur in my mind.
I don't believe I was abducted,but it was like I'd been programmed to not remember it.
Maybe some day you skeptics will get your proof.

nice story, ds. Thanks for sharing it.

DS

Fenderbender
Montauk Monster ?
troll ?
Bishop Fish ?
Drac ?
Chubacabra ?
Bray Rd. Beast ?
Cyclops ?
Centaur ?
Hippocamp ?
Megalodon ?
Sea Serpent ?
Unicorn ?
Sphinx ?
Lorelei ?
Kraken ?
Dragon ?
Gorgon ?
Griffin ? (not Kathy)
Minotaur ?
Satyr ?
Phoenix ?
Elkaphant?

tourists24

I think the same thing when I hear about "God". No proof, only drawings.
Is someone calling you arrogant or ignorant for not believing in God because you cant see Him?
Christianity is "faith" based to begin with. You cant prove it ultimately in the physical sense. I dont need the physical proof you may need. Then again, there is no proof of alien creatures either. Is it "possible"? Sure. But am I supposed to be ignorant just because I dont believe it?

If you want to change this thread into a God belief session, I'll be happy to take the side of believing in God as compared to little men from Mars.

DS,,, I apologize if I struck a nerve. All this is just in discussion. BTW,,, have you read the book "Communion" by Whitley Strieber?

Last edited:

DS

Fenderbender
nice story, ds. Thanks for sharing it.
At the risk of losing any credibility I ever had here,if any,I explained why I think ufo's exist.
Your sarcasm denotes that you think I'm full of crap or lying .If not for Martha
and Johnathin I'd probobly be back in Kandor.texting my friends on my kryptonite blackberry
about being stuck in this darn bottle.

A

an anonymous guest

In response to the UFO controversy, there is now an Andriod app that serves as a Star Trek tricorder. You can now check your friends who have been acting strangely lately to see if they really are who you think they are, or are they really....Andorans.

Also, after living on earth for 60 years, and working for UPS for most of them, I have come to belive that anyone looking for signs of intelligent life in the universe would not be looking here.

Go UPS!
P71

moreluck

golden ticket member
DS...you may have been programmed to forget. Did Tommy Lee Jones hold a shiny pen-like object that flashed in front of your face ??

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
At the risk of losing any credibility I ever had here,if any,I explained why I think ufo's exist.
Your sarcasm denotes that you think I'm full of crap or lying .If not for Martha
and Johnathin I'd probobly be back in Kandor.texting my friends on my kryptonite blackberry
I thought pickup was being sincere, not sarcastic.

DS...you may have been programmed to forget. Did Tommy Lee Jones hold a shiny pen-like object that flashed in front of your face ??
He doesn't remember.:wink2:

P

pickup

I tried the multiquote thing in the past and despite some tutorials from other members, upstate and dilligaf if I recall, I make a mess of it . so Let me just quote Steve "I thought Pickup was being sincere, not sarcastic." -- I was being sincere. yes, I know i can and have been sarcastic in past postings but there is usually no mistaking my sarcasm. I was even going to add the word "courageous" to describe the fact that u told the story but withheld it so not to have you blush with modesty.

I have been listening to coast to coast(art bell , george nouri) for years and for most of my life have read comic books which in case u haven't noticed (sarcasm) is crammed with stories about aliens -superman, hawkman(newer incarnations ) martian manhunter, the oa guardians, etc. Plus my little fish story painted a scenario that everyone knows happens with fish but painted it in a different light, sort of a parable if u will to what "might" happen to people. So the fact that u saw sarcasm where none existed convinces me that u were really courageous in posting ur story and were afraid of destroying your credibilty and took my post as a sign that u did.

If u accept my elaboration of my post, no doubt u are feeling contrite, and If so I apologize for putting u in such a place (I feel Japanese , apologizing for making the other person feel apologetic).

Gotta go: my boom tube back to new genesis has arrived, where's my mother box?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Pickup, quoting more than one post is easier than ever. Simply select the posts that you want to quote. You would then click the icon on the lower right hand side of the post just above the last page number of that thread--it has a + sign. Hit that for each post and then hit reply with quote on the post that you want to appear first.

You can also try this. Do as above but when you go to reply to each of the posts that you quoted simply delete the
on both sides of the post and then type your reply in a different color so that it will stand out.

I will use posts #92 and 93 as examples of both methods in my next post.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Find Klein a job?

Yeah, right.

Please Cach, the poster did say that the possibilities are almost inconceivable.

Almost.

This is the second way. The only difference is I removed the
from each post and responded to each in a different color.

P

pickup

Pickup, quoting more than one post is easier than ever. Simply select the posts that you want to quote. You would then click the icon on the lower right hand side of the post just above the last page number of that thread--it has a + sign. Hit that for each post and then hit reply with quote on the post that you want to appear first.
ohh me thinks i got it.
You can also try this. Do as above but when you go to reply to each of the posts that you quoted simply delete the
on both sides of the post and then type your reply in a different color so that it will stand out.

I will use posts #92 and 93 as examples of both methods in my next post.

This is the first way. All I did was hit the icon with the + sign for both posts and then hit reply with quote on post #92. Piece of cake.

thank u! well almost got it, i will refer to this in the future when I need to do it again.

KingofBrown

LOL.

Did you get married again?

If you believe in UFOs then you have to believe that there is intelligent life out there. Back in the summer of 1996, my wife and I were in the back yard picking blueberries. Above our heads a bright silver disc appeared. It had a ring of flashing blue lights around its widest part and was making a whirring sound. It slowly descended and landed between us and our house. A hatch opened and a ramp deployed from it. Two little green men in silver suits came down it and walked over to my wife. One touched her forehead and she went limp. They picked her up and carried her back into the ship. The ramp went up , the hatch closed and they were off in a second. Never saw her again!

It wasn't too intelligent for me to marry her and it was less intelligent for them to take her. So it is safe to say that there is no intelligent life out there because if there was, they would have realized that they goofed and brought her right back.They didn't, so I have to believe that there isn't any intelligent life out there and no, UFOs do not exist.

KingofBrown

No intelligent life anywhere in the universe, but us. I'm that selfish to believe that billions or trillions, or as many stars as the universe has, were made to give us light and a beautiful scenery most of our nights.