Best ODS message ever....

Cementups

Box Monkey
It snowed today here in central PA and about half way thru the day we got the follwoing message....

"work safe and avoid driveways. If in safe area bag package and leave at mailbox to avoid slips and falls"

that's not a direct quote but that was the point of the message. I couldn''t believe the boss actually gave us permission to DR at mailboxes. I was going to take a picture of the message in case it came up later in a concern or DF. Unfortunately I forgot.

mikeb

tnbrown
I always like it when the OMS sends me a message in the middle of the day, something like "customer at 123 Main St wants to pick up pkg. what time will u be in"? I always reply, "dont know. left crystal ball at home" or "between 5 and 9."

upsgrunt

We got one yesterday that basically read "it's snowing out now; be careful and increase your following distance". We're the ones out in it, don't you think we would know that it is snowing?:dissapointed:

browniehound

I always like it when the OMS sends me a message in the middle of the day, something like "customer at 123 Main St wants to pick up pkg. what time will u be in"? I always reply, "dont know. left crystal ball at home" or "between 5 and 9."

Mike,
At 3 pm you can't count your stops and have an idea what time you will be back with greater accuracy than 4 hours?

A

Anon

Don't sweat it the new ODS-e due our next year will turn on the GPS units, and will automatically tell the center how many stops you've made, how many pkgs picked up and most certainly exactly where you are....

JustTired

free at last.......
How about ODS messages you would like to receive.............

1. You're wife called and said you won the lottery. Please return to center before you do something stupid.

2. So and so is coming out to take 40 stops off of you so you can have an 8 hr day.

3. Company announced today that you can retire at 25 yrs any age. $8,000/mo. and benefits paid %100.

I'm not holding my breath on any of the above!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The ODS messages that frustate me the most are when they basically summarize what was said in the PCM usually 30 minutes earlier and then again 2-3 hours later. For example, yesterday we were reminded that, if using a helper, that we needed to put 25 stops in the helper board. They reminded us of that 30 minutes after we left bldg and then 3 hours later asked us to let them know how many stops were in the helper board. They have also reversed themselves on the lunch policy. Prior to peak, we were allowed to put as little as one minute in for our lunch and would be paid for the remaining 44 minutes; now we are told to put "at least" 30 minutes in to the board and must call to ask permission to alter that if we have a family event that we are trying to get home to. Of course, they ODS us several times during the day to remind us of the "revised" lunch policy. Mgt knows they have a captive audience so we have little or no control over this.

Packages first, people second.

As much as mgt communicates with us during the day, there are times when we wish that they would pass information along that they don't. For example, one of our drivers' son injured himself at school during gym. His wife called the center and asked them to let the driver know--they didn't. Just this past week one of our drivers' mother had passed away after having routine surgery. He didn't find out until he got off the road.

Overpaid Union Thug

Mike,
At 3 pm you can't count your stops and have an idea what time you will be back with greater accuracy than 4 hours?

It sounds like Mike just doesn't want to make any promises he might not be able to keep. I'm getting tired of those kind of messages myself. Our old OMS Sup (or whatever the hell they are called) would never tell customers they could meet drivers somewhere or try to ask us what time we'd be in. It puts us on the spot. He would give a generic arrival time of between 6:00 and 7:30 and tell them they were free to come and wait. These new OMSs we have constantly call or send messages and putting us on the spot because every time a customer calls the center with an issue they'll quickly give in and make promisses they shouldn't be making and then freak out when the driver can't help. If customers really need their package that bad then they should make sure they'll be home to recieve it, have it shippsed express so they'll know it's comming before a certain time, or address it to their work. Some of these customers are causing themselves to have to chase after their packages when all they had to do was one of the those three things.

Cementups

Box Monkey
As much as mgt communicates with us during the day, there are times when we wish that they would pass information along that they don't. For example, one of our drivers' son injured himself at school during gym. His wife called the center and asked them to let the driver know--they didn't. Just this past week one of our drivers' mother had passed away after having routine surgery. He didn't find out until he got off the road.

Do these drivers know it is 2007? Why don't they have cell phones so that their loved ones can reach them personally in case of an emergency?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I can't stand when OMS tells the customer they will find out where I'll be at a certain time so they can meet me. I have a job to do and the last thing I need is to have to wait around in a certain area so I can meet someone who "DESPERATLY NEED THEIR PACKAGE" or "ARE LEAVING ON A BUSINESS TRIP IN 3 HOURS"
They can all pick up the package as a "same day will call" or retreive it first thing in the morning

THAT'S POLICY....NOT ME BEING A JERK

browniehound

I can't stand when OMS tells the customer they will find out where I'll be at a certain time so they can meet me. I have a job to do and the last thing I need is to have to wait around in a certain area so I can meet someone who "DESPERATLY NEED THEIR PACKAGE" or "ARE LEAVING ON A BUSINESS TRIP IN 3 HOURS"
They can all pick up the package as a "same day will call" or retreive it first thing in the morning

THAT'S POLICY....NOT ME BEING A JERK

This really irritates me also. I hate waiting around to meet a customer or going back because they don't have a money order (you know the package is coming, have the friggin MO ready!)

People should plan accordingly when recieving important packages. I live in an apartment, so I have all my deliveries sent to my mother's house. If its a signature required package I have it delivered to her work where she is the receptionist.

over9five

Staff member
"Do these drivers know it is 2007? Why don't they have cell phones so that their loved ones can reach them personally in case of an emergency?"

Is that an excuse for the management team NOT sending a simple ODS message??

We've all heard the stories of drivers wives going into labor, and the management team not telling them till they got in that night. Honestly, I thought those days were over.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
The problem is that whoever sends the ODS messages has to sit and try to think up things to send you to create a job for themselves. As for the cell phone, mine is turned off in my lunch box. I check it at lunch for messages. It turned into a leash for UPS and would call me anytime they wanted to. After they tell you not to talk on your cell phones. If they want to call then they should supply me with a phone or pay for mine. If they want me to meet a customer I tell them to be at a place about 15 min. before I get there and to wait if I'm a few minutes late. That way they are there when I show up and I'm not waiting on them. If they say anything about having to wait just tell them that you got there as soon as you safely could. Next time they will figure out some other way to get it, like will call or have it sent to their work.
:wink2:

old levi's

blank space
If we had the ability to send response required messages back to the center I assure you that we could end all the useless drivel we receive in just a couple of days.

trickpony1

Pagers are very cheap now that everyone has a cell phone. Drink 2 or 3 less soda pops during the day and that will pay for your pager if your budget is that tight.
A close relative is a nurse. She has a pager she wears at work as well as a cell phone in her purse. Only a few select people have the number to her pager and cell. Her employer has the number to neither.