I want to live in I.E. world

JustTired

free at last.......
You know......
When I started, we had no diad. We had no telematics. We had no PAS/EDD. We had no power steering. We had no computers (at least at the center level).

How did this company ever make any money without these things? Better yet, how did we ever run scratch without all of these "aids??" ?

Technology can be a great thing. But if you allow it to take over for common sense, you'll find yourself 'outside looking in' wondering what went wrong.

All of the college degrees and all of the technology in the world can't make up for a lack of common sense.
JMO

tourists24

Tech:

I've posted over and over that I see this as the number one problem in the package operations. Work measurement is supposed to point out where problems exist. Its doing that.

I also believe that poor I.E.'s and operations people end up trying to fix it from the drivers side, and miss the root cause. I have posted this many times too.

So, I cannot disagree with you about process control and fixing root causes.

Your previous statement as well as others that say if the average across the country is not scratch, the problem is work measurement.

A much better discussion is how to fix the preload. That will improve the drivers' day.

P-Man
and again here lies the problem which I have stated many times. The whole IE system (DIAD, EDD, PAS,,,etc) may be the pride and envy of many industries, but the expectations put on the drivers are not fair. The system has to be set up with a certain "ideal" day scenario. Set up as if we were in an assembly line situation when there are many many things that change day to day... Some may be slight, others not (weather, load quality, etc,,, list can go on and on). Even you have said this has been a problem. Yet these are the numbers that mgt gets in trouble if a driver is too overallowed; therefore the driver gets pressured. How can a 5' tall driver and a 6' driver possibly be comared equally, esp on a route with a lot of walking. Not to mention a 55 year old driver compared to a 23 year old driver (again list can go on and on). All that matters at the center level is that the numbers are met and that the driver must maintain good numbers...

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I.E. got it wrong: increased selection time should have been plugged into the equation.

Why? Because the problem will never be fixed. As a supervisor said to me long ago, "the preload was terrible before you were hired, they are terrible now, and they will be terrible after you retire."

Even PAS/EDD could not fix the preload. In fact, as was stated in this thread, it has become worse.

I.E. do the right thing, add the time in.

Omega man

The result of this discussion proves one thing: UPS upper management is allowing some of their facilitators (center managers) to unethically and dishonestly harass drivers to make up time lost due to the failures of their operation (preload). Rouge managers exist everywhere in this company who actually believe drivers should run scratch. They harass and try to fire drivers because of it. How can this be done when many of us are doing nothing wrong and over-plan before we ever punch in and go to our trucks?
An ethically run company would identify and make allowances for that which is totally out of the control of drivers. Shame on you UPS management! You wonder why so many of us have little respect for you.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
The result of this discussion proves one thing: UPS upper management is allowing some of their facilitators (center managers) to unethically and dishonestly harass drivers to make up time lost due to the failures of their operation (preload). Rouge managers exist everywhere in this company who actually believe drivers should run scratch. They harass and try to fire drivers because of it. How can this be done when many of us are doing nothing wrong and over-plan before we ever punch in and go to our trucks?
An ethically run company would identify and make allowances for that which is totally out of the control of drivers. Shame on you UPS management! You wonder why so many of us have little respect for you.
negative son,, center managers have little or no say in your daily dispatch,, god forbid a center manager decides to add a extra route to lighten up those 10 and 11 hour planned days,,the allmighty IE corporates and DM's would have his head,, look higher for the root of the problem

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
You know......
When I started, we had no diad. We had no telematics. We had no PAS/EDD. We had no power steering. We had no computers (at least at the center level).

How did this company ever make any money without these things? Better yet, how did we ever run scratch without all of these "aids??" ?

Technology can be a great thing. But if you allow it to take over for common sense, you'll find yourself 'outside looking in' wondering what went wrong.

All of the college degrees and all of the technology in the world can't make up for a lack of common sense.
JMO
BANG dead on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know......

JMO

And......except for air, what competition did you have for ground pkgs?

JustTired

free at last.......

One of the only things technology has done that is a benefit is that it made it easier to track a pkg in somewhat real time. Using it to track a drivers every move may seem like a benefit to some, but it really doesn't get the pkgs delivered any faster. As a matter of fact, it may produce the opposite effect. Do you really think "competition" forced us to implement telematics? And if PAS/EDD was implemented to get us a leg up on the competition, don't you think its' implementation would have been more carefully thought out instead of rushed into service?

As I stated earlier....it is my belief that technology cannot take the place of common sense. While there is seemingly no lack of technology these days, there definitely seems to be a lack of common sense. I'm waiting to be proved wrong......but it will take common sense to do it.....so, I'm not holding my breath.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The competition in ground is that we would be there almost dead on every day at the same time, with a cheerful face, and an efficient system. They could run their business based on our delivery time. Now they just get an efficient system, once its in the system, with harried drivers, and delivery when we get there.

The competition in ground is that we would be there almost dead on every day at the same time, with a cheerful face, and an efficient system. They could run their business based on our delivery time. Now they just get an efficient system, once its in the system, with harried drivers, and delivery when we get there.

I agree but the fact still remains that that the packages in the fedex ground truck should be in your package car and, at one time most likely were! All the business we deliver run on the same basis...the bottom line and, the bottom line is cost just like UPS. I don't really care if I pump Exxon or Sunoco into my car. The determining factor is cost...not loyalty.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I agree but the fact still remains that that the packages in the FedEx ground truck should be in your package car and, at one time most likely were! All the business we deliver run on the same basis...the bottom line and, the bottom line is cost just like UPS. I don't really care if I pump Exxon or Sunoco into my car. The determining factor is cost...not loyalty.
If the determining factor was only cost, then how can we (by management's own admission) one of the highest cost delivery companies, ever hold customers?

The reason, service. I know, that is an ideal that will not compute when entered into your data program, but to the customer, it is very important.

All these add ons are nice, and the customer wants and needs them. But the service is what they expect.

And the service is where we are lacking.

Drivers are for the most part, more productive than they were 20 years ago. We cover a smaller area, but deliver more stops and more packages.

But when IE sets the plan to cut corners to save money, and the bottom line is that you are cutting service to the customer, then is it not like the idiot that cut his nose off to spite his face?

Some times I feel like the IE department, in their effort to save a buck, is too short sighted to see the big picture.

d

When I order an item a decision must be made. Do I spend $12.95 for shipping to just stay loyal to UPS or, take the $6.00 route. That's a no brainer. A lot of places state arrival in 6-10 business days and when you get it delivered it isn't crushed, is it! I'll wait to save the money.

My supervisor is 53 years old and his back is shot.

He will be the first to admit that he is physically incapable of maintaining the same work pace he expects from me.

I am obligated by the contract to give a fair days work for a fair days pay which means that I need to do the job to the best of my ability, which at this time by far exceeds what my supervisor is capable of demonstrating.

Some day, that situation may well be reversed and I will be the 53 yr old with a bad back who will be physically incapable of maintaining a pace that would be easy for some 24 yr old supervisor to demonstrate.

When that happens, the provision in the contract requiring that the age and physical condition of the employee be taken into consideration will apply to my case.

Thats the beauty of the contract. It addresses these situations.

I realize you have a number of posts on this forum...I'm just wondering how many of them have an excuse attached to each answer?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
when you get it delivered it isn't crushed, is it! I'll wait to save the money.
Might be the reason you dont use UPS because they crush your box is that you figured the 2 CF box could fit into a 1.25 CF space to save time and money.

So again, you play the blame game with what you really ought to look inward upon for the answer......

But then again, if you worked for the "other company" would you make what you make punching in numbers at UPS......?????

Its funny how you demand the best from others, while you settle for mediocre from yourself.

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
If the determining factor was only cost, then how can we (by management's own admission) one of the highest cost delivery companies, ever hold customers?

The reason, service. I know, that is an ideal that will not compute when entered into your data program, but to the customer, it is very important.

All these add ons are nice, and the customer wants and needs them. But the service is what they expect.

And the service is where we are lacking.

Drivers are for the most part, more productive than they were 20 years ago. We cover a smaller area, but deliver more stops and more packages.

But when IE sets the plan to cut corners to save money, and the bottom line is that you are cutting service to the customer, then is it not like the idiot that cut his nose off to spite his face?

Some times I feel like the IE department, in their effort to save a buck, is too short sighted to see the big picture.

d
Danny, I think you are dead on with the service. I would gladly pay a little more to know that I was getting a good service. Right now our service leaves ALOT to be desired.

My rte yesterday.................. I was out delivering until about 9:45pm. 150 stops, 264 pcs. My truck was brick loaded. there was not one square inch of room to be had. The only thing I could do was start at one door or the other to deliver.

I cannot believe for one second that one of my customers was very happy about me driving up in front of their house after 8pm last night. Dogs barking, ringing doorbells for signatures. It was absolutely assinine.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I realize you have a number of posts on this forum...I'm just wondering how many of them have an excuse attached to each answer?
I fail to see how Sobers post is an excuse. There is no yes or no to the situation, every situation is different. The contract tries to cover all bases. When it doesn't then the issues that are not covered are, hopefully, addressed in the new contract.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Danny, I think you are dead on with the service. I would gladly pay a little more to know that I was getting a good service. Right now our service leaves ALOT to be desired.

My rte yesterday.................. I was out delivering until about 9:45pm. 150 stops, 264 pcs. My truck was brick loaded. there was not one square inch of room to be had. The only thing I could do was start at one door or the other to deliver.

I cannot believe for one second that one of my customers was very happy about me driving up in front of their house after 8pm last night. Dogs barking, ringing doorbells for signatures. It was absolutely assinine.

I'm assuming you are a cover. That is a pretty ****ty day. Though the money isn't bad :biting: I start cover next Monday, looking forward to sharing horror stories.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I'm assuming you are a cover. That is a pretty ****ty day. Though the money isn't bad :biting: I start cover next Monday, looking forward to sharing horror stories.
Yes, kind of. Our cover drivers are part timers that work inside and fill in driving when needed. I am a full time utility driver. Just a difference in language. A technicality, really. :happy2:

Usually that rte has 110/120 stops. Once in awhile it will go to 130. I actually had 165 yesterday but another driver came and got 15. BFD!

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
Yes, kind of. Our cover drivers are part timers that work inside and fill in driving when needed. I am a full time utility driver. Just a difference in language. A technicality, really. :happy2:

Usually that rte has 110/120 stops. Once in awhile it will go to 130. I actually had 165 yesterday but another driver came and got 15. BFD!
Considering the weird/nonsensical stuff I've been having added to my route lately; I'm surprised that I didn't get an add off that route yesterday----after all it's only a few inches away on a computer screen:wink2:

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
Okay....

How about the Institute for Industrial Engineering
How about the Institute for Operations Research and Management Science
How about the countless companies that have benchmarked UPS' engineering group to see how to improve theirs.
How about Thomas Friedman in his Chapter on UPS in the book "The world is Flat"

In addition, Under Industrial Engineering is Plant Engineering and Automotive Engineering. P.E. built Worldport which has been deemed a marvel.

Am I brainwashed or are all these sources? Or maybe you are biased.

P-Man

Not one UPS driver cares P-man, and boy am I retired and gone. Like I said several times, you live in some Fantasy Land, or IE world I guess. I suggest you get on car for a week and see what a mess you guys make!!!