Best way to deal with aggressive dogs?

Go Brown Or Go Home!

We get mini air horns and they work like a charm. You feel threaten blow the horn. I've used it a few times, cracks me up watching a dog take off. I'm pretty sure it won't work on EVERY dog but its worth a try.

BrownArmy

Management team in my center will back us all up if we sheet NI1, comment: DOG.

Having said that, I have several CPAD notes for addresses saying 'watch for dog' or whatever, and it's the smallest, cutest, friendliest dog ever.

Once, delivering in a wealthy town with mega driveways, I was about half-way up the 1000-yd driveway to the house.

Cujo comes out from behind the house at full-tilt... he probably had me on weight.

I'm not a dog-person, but even I could tell this doggy wanted me for dinner.

I set the package down in the middle of the driveway and booked it back to the truck.

I made it, and shut the passenger door...cujo slammed himself into the truck trying to get to me.

Pretty cool.

I love any dog. I've rescued them for years. You have to respect the dog. Pit bulls Rottweilers and German Shepards are the ones you need to really look out for. These are the dogs that can take a man who doesn't know how to protect themselves from an attack. If the dog has you on the ground grab a paw any paw and snap it. The dog know matter how bad or mad it is will retreat.

Try your best to stay out of that situation.

ClownInBrown

GOOD! GREAT! GRAND! Wonderful!
Yelling does nothing but make the situation worse. You need to let them know in a firm, direct manner that you are in charge. A deep voice and confident manner goes a long way in dealing with aggressive dogs (and unruly children).

Spot on: It's a dog. You're a human. Let it know you're in charge. Baby voice is only for the giant rats. If you still have problems, call Cesar Millan.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I love any dog. I've rescued them for years. You have to respect the dog. Pit bulls Rottweilers and German Shepards are the ones you need to really look out for. These are the dogs that can take a man who doesn't know how to protect themselves from an attack. If the dog has you on the ground grab a paw any paw and snap it. The dog know matter how bad or mad it is will retreat.

Try your best to stay out of that situation.
Yeah those are the only ones I feel remotely threatened by. Especially the pitbulls, ya never know with them. I used to have a German Shepard so im kinda used to their tendencies and how they react to things. Best dog I ever had. Just decided not to get a Shepard after we built our new house with all the hair and all from shedding so much all the time. Definitely have to respect dogs, but not all drivers are dog lovers either so they may not know how to handle dogs like other drivers can.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
NI1 is best. If you've lost the situation , and its running at me I book to the truck if I have time. For an old chick Im pretty fast. This will get you a union letter, you are not suppose to run from an animal.
There is a difference between a country dog, and a dog in a neighborhood where they are trained to keep strangers from the house. You can survive a bite, but if it gets you on the ground you could be toast, and dinner. Thankfully, these dogs are few.
Toot the horn if you suspect, avoid knocking on door that only open in with no storm door you can hold shut with your foot. Stealth mode is best.
I have heard that most dogs know the command sit, I guess you could try that. If all else fails.
I was only bitten by a large breed once, and it was a dalmation rot mix. It ripped the bicep out of my arm. Dalmations are a one person dog, and too much inbreeding with the cute little movie, 101 dalmations. And everyone wanted one.

The ankle biters are far worse, but do less damage.

And I know they sense fear. Saw it proven. I was afraid to get out of my personal truck when garage saleing, the dog could get right to the curb, neighbors didnt want people parking there. It wouldnt let me out of the truck. My husband walked over talked sternly to it, tucked tail and went and sat down. They dont like baby voices. My neighbor had a hybrid, and if you talked to it like you would a baby he got very upset.

oldngray

nowhere special
Yeah those are the only ones I feel remotely threatened by. Especially the pitbulls, ya never know with them. I used to have a German Shepard so im kinda used to their tendencies and how they react to things. Best dog I ever had. Just decided not to get a Shepard after we built our new house with all the hair and all from shedding so much all the time. Definitely have to respect dogs, but not all drivers are dog lovers either so they may not know how to handle dogs like other drivers can.

Dogs can tell if someone is afraid so are more likely to attack those people than others who are more comfortable around dogs.

I rescue pits so I'm least afraid of them. They are powerful but I and very familiar with them. There size makes me feel more comfortable. I'm kind of a big dude. The German Shepard is the one that I'm most Leary of. They seem like they are very smart. Police use them as well. A lot bigger of a dog. A rot seems kinda dumb. I'd think of something. They are the largest in weight but then I'd think of them more as a man.

Either way staying out of those situations is best but in our line of work you never know.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I rescue pits so I'm least afraid of them. They are powerful but I and very familiar with them. There size makes me feel more comfortable. I'm kind of a big dude. The German Shepard is the one that I'm most Leary of. They seem like they are very smart. Police use them as well. A lot bigger of a dog. A rot seems kinda dumb. I'd think of something. They are the largest in weight but then I'd think of them more as a man.

Either way staying out of those situations is best but in our line of work you never know.
Exactly you do this job long enough you become a wiz on how to handle situations like that.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah

Your a good man for what you do with them dogs, just wanted to reinterate the respect I have for ya for doing that. :bigsmile2:

Indecisi0n

3716857_o.gif

Cats with lightsabers > Dogs.

Your a good man for what you do with them dogs, just wanted to reinterate the respect I have for ya for doing that. :bigsmile2:
I'm a steward of all men. I've met a lot of great men and women and ones in the middle and at the bottom as well. One thing I can tell you about dogs are they are good people. They don't say much and they love you unconditionally. Ones that aren't yours are hopefully loved by someone. They are loyal and will stick with you till the end. They are the best of people.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I'm a steward of all men. I've met a lot of great men and women and ones in the middle and at the bottom as well. One thing I can tell you about dogs are they are good people. They don't say much and they love you unconditionally. Ones that aren't yours are hopefully loved by someone. They are loyal and will stick with you till the end. They are the best of people.
WORD and that's all I got lol.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
I can generally find a pal in any dog. Dehydrated liver helps, but probably sucks for others who cover my route. If I have any doubts about my safety I leave an info. notice on their mailbox saying "contain dog". In the past I've had agreements with a couple receivers just to bag it and leave it at the mailbox.

Then there were those 2 presa canarios a guy couldn't control... I got one foot on the ground and have never moved so fast to get back in and shut the door when they came after me. Those dogs were deadly and that idiot had no idea.

Box Ox

Sheet as NI1-NI3 with a dog noted, keep rolling and let the customer pick it up if they won't respect that we're not trained to be dog whisperers.