Better not Bigger non DOT Compliant Trucks?

wornoutupser

I have to be careful here with details but there is a problem in my center.

UPS wont fix DOT items on some of the vehicles or red tag them. Period

This has been going on for a while because my center does not have enough vehicles in the correct sizes and some the of ones that we have will not pass a DOT inspection because the parts are not available. We cant even get wiper blades on some in Fla because it is too soon and the blades that UPS buys are crap.

The stock price seems to be going up and drivers seem to be put at risk. I am personally appalled that stock prices are a concern and safety is not.

Social posturing seems to be a concern in Atlanta yet safety problems exist due to lack of funds in automotive.

Carol, why are you allowing this?

Nah
and drivers seem to be put at risk.

There is a simple solution, if you or your co-workers have the guts to pursue it...

Screenshot_20210717-210547.jpg

Whither

Scofflaw
I second what @Bastiatian said. If the pkg car isn't safe to drive, you gotta enforce the contract and refuse to drive it.

Once when I reported a faulty parking brake before leaving the building a supe told me to swap cars on area with another driver. I asked a few questions and it became clear the supe was going to have the other driver use that pkg car to make deliveries. I put my foot down. "Well we don't have any other pkg cars and he's only got 10 stops." "Well suppose the pkg car rolls away at his 9th stop and damages property or worse, strikes a pedestrian." "All right, fine, sit tight and we'll figure something out." I wound up waiting nearly an hour in the yard for that driver to return.

The Driver

I drive.

This has been going on for a while because my center does not have enough vehicles in the correct sizes and some the of ones that we have will not pass a DOT inspection because the parts are not available. We cant even get wiper blades on some in Fla because it is too soon and the blades that UPS buys are crap.

The stock price seems to be going up and drivers seem to be put at risk. I am personally appalled that stock prices are a concern and safety is not.

Social posturing seems to be a concern in Atlanta yet safety problems exist due to lack of funds in automotive.

Refuse to drive it. Get with your steward.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

If it’s a DOT or safety issue
Grow a set of nuts and refuse to drive it
They are going to bitch about it but who gives a friend*

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.

Swizzle has 7 zeros in a savings account....

She doesn't care about your concerns.

If your wiper blades are worn...

Return to your center with no blades and write it up.

All of your other problems...

Get your own solutions.

Less crying...

More doing.

Hope this helps

542thruNthru

Like @Bastiatian said. You can use Article 18 and refuse to drive a unsafe vehicle.

You can also call this hotline.

AKCoverMan

As a cover driver was once assigned a car with turn signals all inop. center manager tells me to “be real careful today and write it up tonight”.

Me: “OK, when I’m charged with an avoidable Tier 3 and given a citation for failure to signal you got my back right? You’ll make that all go away?”

center manager: “Well...maybe we better do a car swap.”

Uh, huh...

Whither

Scofflaw
As a cover driver was once assigned a car with turn signals all inop. center manager tells me to “be real careful today and write it up tonight”.

Me: “OK, when I’m charged with an avoidable Tier 3 and given a citation for failure to signal you got my back right? You’ll make that all go away?”

center manager: “Well...maybe we better do a car swap.”

Uh, huh...
Well-executed!

quad decade guy

To the obtuse(tough guys)...

I've been around a long time....Coast to Coast...even automotive. At UPS.

It's all the same....everywhere. Looks the same....smells the same.....same trucks....fleet...even the counters in the centers are the same.

Many posts and complaints here on BC sound very familiar.....I have seen them from coast to coast. CRAPPY, BROKEN DOWN EQUIPMENT IN SHABBY FACILITIES.

It's pretty obvious very little of this of this tough guy persona happens.....oh here on BC not in reality.

Laughable.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.

It's all the same....everywhere. Looks the same....smells the same.....same trucks....fleet...even the counters in the centers are the same.

Many posts and complaints here on BC sound very familiar.....I have seen them from coast to coast. CRAPPY, BROKEN DOWN EQUIPMENT IN SHABBY FACILITIES.

It's pretty obvious very little of this of this tough guy persona happens.....oh here on BC not in reality.

Laughable.
Wow… all those words to say absolutely nothing…

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
You are protected under the STAA. Man up, you are Captain of your ship. Refuse to operate non-compliant equipment. Learn to do a proper DOT pretrip, not the BS UPS one. File complaints with OSHA, FMCSA, and your State DOT. UPS has already lost this battle many times (with myself included). Don't risk your life or anyone you might care about.

Attachments

• youngermann-osha-order.pdf
    316.2 KB · Views: 129

Back From Break

What DOT items are you referring to?

my center does not have enough vehicles in the correct sizes

Not a DOT violation.

and some the of ones that we have will not pass a DOT inspection because the parts are not available.

What parts are not available to make it DOT compliant?

We cant even get wiper blades on some in Fla because it is too soon and the blades that UPS buys are crap.

Crappy wiper blades are not a DOT violation in and of itself. They just need to clear rain, snow and moisture. If they will not clear the rain to give you clear vision, refuse to drive it.

But, be careful what you, and the DOT, classifies as clear vision before you refuse to drive a package car.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I was yelling out to a driver on the road the other day, rear wheel was wobbling and making all kinds of noise like a ***. You not hear that lol!

I've already seen way too many mistakes from people just leaving the building onto public roads especially around peak season.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Laughable.
B7CE1B0A-64E2-47EB-BF4D-085D3F958DB4.jpeg

Dr.Brownz

Management here tried to put a truck with no license plate or registration on the road this week.....