Bezos does the expected for once.

vantexan

If I'm 20, single, and the standards are up to par, maybe. But I could get that kind of fun in cleaner and more secure environments.
Well I'm staying in clean, secure environments. Lockable doors. What you're not seeing is there's something for everyone over here at very affordable prices. Most I've spent in a month was $250 but had a private bathroom with that one, in a popular beach town. I've yet to stay in an unsanitary place.

Oldfart

Never been to another country? Seriously? That’s crazy, you need to get out more.
Get out more? I take over a dozen 3 day weekends going out of town as it is now. Been to over 25 states plus DC the last few years. I was in Chicago last weekend and in Daytona this weekend. I do not take any full week vacations, I pretty much break them all down to days. My 3 dogs know the dog sitter more than they know me right now. When I call it quits in November I have considered a motorhome trip around the country. Buy me some plaid shorts, black socks, some sandals and run all the neighborhood kids off of my yard.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
You call it a hostel, I call it a flophouse. Wouldn't be caught dead in either.
A hostel means simply a shared accommodation. Instead of staying in a private room with a private bathroom, you stay in a dorm room sharing the room with other people.
download.jpg

A flophouse is a place that offers very cheap lodging, generally by providing only minimal services.

It will be fine

Get out more? I take over a dozen 3 day weekends going out of town as it is now. Been to over 25 states plus DC the last few years. I was in Chicago last weekend and in Daytona this weekend. I do not take any full week vacations, I pretty much break them all down to days. My 3 dogs know the dog sitter more than they know me right now. When I call it quits in November I have considered a motorhome trip around the country. Buy me some plaid shorts, black socks, some sandals and run all the neighborhood kids off of my yard.
Ya, get out more. I’ve been to all 50 states and dozens of other countries. America isn’t that interesting, you need to get out there and see the world. Drop into a space where language is a huge barrier and experience the universality of humanity, it’ll blow your mind.

Oldfart

Ya, get out more. I’ve been to all 50 states and dozens of other countries. America isn’t that interesting, you need to get out there and see the world. Drop into a space where language is a huge barrier and experience the universality of humanity, it’ll blow your mind.
To each his own. Foreign countries don't interest me.

Mutineer

A flophouse is a place that offers very cheap lodging, generally by providing only minimal services.

An actual flophouse is any place exclusively for druggies/drunks to sleep it off or recover before the next binge. It's not something wayward travelers or people simply down on their luck are going to purposely find. You won't find a flophouse unless you're familiar with the neighborhood or unlucky.

That's my definition, and I'm sticking to it.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Tourism isn't difficult, dude.

When you're resigned to living in a flophouse, yes.

If it's something you can figure out, it's something anyone can figure out.

I didn't know that Catholic had any Jews.

You call it a hostel, I call it a flophouse. Wouldn't be caught dead in either.
Slow evening working behind the slurpee machine at your “new job” huh?

bacha29

Well I'm staying in clean, secure environments. Lockable doors. What you're not seeing is there's something for everyone over here at very affordable prices. Most I've spent in a month was $250 but had a private bathroom with that one, in a popular beach town. I've yet to stay in an unsanitary place.
Question. How difficult is it to overcome the language, customs and cultural barriers that exist and do it in a way that does not honk off the native population and find yourself in jail or detained at the airport ? In addition how do you facilitate currency exchanges? Likewise what about healthcare should you need it? Then again if you still have a good set of legs under you then you enjoy this time to the fullest . In no time at all you could end up like me. While theses new joints work beautifully but having enough titanium in you to make yourself a set of golf clubs impacts any long distance travel plans especially long distance walking tours. Make the most of the moment because it probably will not come your way again.

vantexan

Question. How difficult is it to overcome the language, customs and cultural barriers that exist and do it in a way that does not honk off the native population and find yourself in jail or detained at the airport ? In addition how do you facilitate currency exchanges? Likewise what about healthcare should you need it? Then again if you still have a good set of legs under you then you enjoy this time to the fullest . In no time at all you could end up like me. While theses new joints work beautifully but having enough titanium in you to make yourself a set of golf clubs impacts any long distance travel plans especially long distance walking tours. Make the most of the moment because it probably will not come your way again.
Money is easy these days. You get the best exchange rate withdrawing from ATM's and they are literally everywhere, at least in towns of any size with banks. I find the website XE very easy to use to get the latest rates. When I was in Almaty, Kazakhstan had real difficulty with lack of English usage and it's a huge city. Better in Bishkek. You'd be surprised how often you see English words there. Best in Republic of Georgia. They have laws mandating English alongside Georgian everywhere. Government years ago brought in thousands of English teachers so most adults under 30 speak at least some and often understand more than they speak. You'll find in the former Soviet republics a lot of pro-American people and a lot of animosity towards Russians. People really light up when they ask where you're from and you tell them USA. Have had several tell me they have relatives in the U.S.. Haven't had to use medical services yet. Other than taxi drivers trying to overcharge have been treated great by most. And here's a list of American fast food I've seen in these countries: McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, KFC(only American fast food I've seen in Bishkek besides Nathan's Hotdogs)Hardees, Subway, Papa John's(Oops, that's in Bishkek too). Generally American fast food is only slightly cheaper than the U.S. and is a bit of a rip off. And yet they are swamped with customers.

They all stare at their smartphones here too. And on the streets I see everyday high end Audis, BMW's, Mercedes, Lexus, and tons of Toyotas and Hondas. Even Land Rovers and Hummers. Somebody forgot to tell them they're poor. Usually one, sometimes two American movies will be shown in English weekly, but most are dubbed in Russian. That depends on the city. No such luck where I'm currently at.

You can go out to the countryside in Kyrgyzstan and still see people living in yurts and herding horses and sheep. They have a game they play on horseback where they try to put a headless goat carcass inside a ring. Some call it the world's most dangerous game. People get killed playing it. They have video of it on YouTube. Mind boggling stuff.

Generally if you smile a lot people here really open up. I almost always give my change to whoever waits on me at restaurants. Often it's the equivalent of 25 cents, more or less. They already add 15% automatically onto your bill. A four dollar meal gets them 60 cents, so throwing on even a little extra makes them extremely happy. I've never been shown so much appreciation in my life for doing so little. I gave my waitress about a dollar in Kyrgyz Som today. She followed me to the door and thanked me profusely. I'll be gone in 6 weeks but while here trying to show my appreciation for their very good service. So in answer to your question, if you are polite and friendly you'll have no worries here. I've never felt threatened once here other than some young men giving me some harsh looks. Could only assume they thought I was Russian.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
A hostel means simply a shared accommodation. Instead of staying in a private room with a private bathroom, you stay in a dorm room sharing the room with other people.
View attachment 201122

Six of one and a half-dozen of the other if you ask me; one is nicer.

I lock my front door at night because I don't want strangers in my house. Why would I pay for the privilege of having a bunch of them crammed into a bedroom that I'm renting??

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

I lock my front door at night because I don't want strangers in my house. Why would I pay for the privilege of having a bunch of them crammed into a bedroom that I'm renting??
Adventure? Exploration?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American

Now you sound like an anal-retentive.