Bezos does the expected for once.

It will be fine

A bunch of people I don't know from Adam. I don't go plop down with strangers at a restaurant when I'm hungry. Why would I do it when I'm sleepy?
The whole point of travel is to see new things and meet new people. If you plop down next to someone who’s been in town for a week already they can point you in the right direction on what to visit, where to eat etc. Sure you can look up stuff online, but nothing beats an in person testimonial. To each their own, but there’s really no reason to disparage hostels especially considering you’ve never stayed at one.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
The whole point of travel is to see new things and meet new people. If you plop down next to someone who’s been in town for a week already they can point you in the right direction on what to visit, where to eat etc. Sure you can look up stuff online, but nothing beats an in person testimonial. To each their own, but there’s really no reason to disparage hostels especially considering you’ve never stayed at one.
5B0B18B7-09A0-43C6-AAA0-D4348F691225.png

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
The whole point of travel is to see new things and meet new people. If you plop down next to someone who’s been in town for a week already they can point you in the right direction on what to visit, where to eat etc. Sure you can look up stuff online, but nothing beats an in person testimonial.

I've never traveled to meet new people. I take my own people. We figure it out. I can meet new people here.

To each their own, but there’s really no reason to disparage hostels especially considering you’ve never stayed at one.

Never had a leg amputated, either. Still not a fan of it.

vantexan

Six of one and a half-dozen of the other if you ask me; one is nicer.

I lock my front door at night because I don't want strangers in my house. Why would I pay for the privilege of having a bunch of them crammed into a bedroom that I'm renting??
No one would expect you to with your family. Most who use hostels that I've seen and read are young adults who are trying to save money while traveling. In a number of countries it's common for them to take a "gap year" and travel. Two countries in particular, Israel and Australia, are known for this but it's very common for Europeans too. Through Central and South America there are a number of towns very popular with young travelers, or backpackers, so much so that visiting them is known as following the "gringo trail." I think young adults in the U.S. would benefit greatly from doing this. Some do, and their blogs are fascinating, but most are in a rush to get to college and on to their careers.

dvalleyjim

I think the figure was $75k-300k with 300k being the top. So figure your profit more at the bottom. Drivers won't want to work Sundays and holidays. Many of these days will be a nightmare to cover. Drivers also don't like to do new routes everyday. They want to have a specific daily routine especially for the low wages you'll have to pay them just to delay your inevitable bankruptcy.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I think the figure was $75k-300k with 300k being the top. So figure your profit more at the bottom. Drivers won't want to work Sundays and holidays. Many of these days will be a nightmare to cover. Drivers also don't like to do new routes everyday. They want to have a specific daily routine especially for the low wages you'll have to pay them just to delay your inevitable bankruptcy.
Sounds like a recipie for disaster. It’ll be a constant revolving door of drivers and the fresh faces will need to be trained and where’s the training hours gonna come from? If the vehicle keys are just thrown at a driver with a “have at it” then guaranteed they’ll be looking for new employment real soon if not immediately.

bacha29

Sounds like a recipie for disaster. It’ll be a constant revolving door of drivers and the fresh faces will need to be trained and where’s the training hours gonna come from? If the vehicle keys are just thrown at a driver with a “have at it” then guaranteed they’ll be looking for new employment real soon if not immediately.
Making this model work requires three components . Vans packed with boxes, going into areas packed with people who have wallets packed with cash. If you're looking at an area that doesn't have all three......don't even think about it

dmac1

Making this model work requires three components . Vans packed with boxes, going into areas packed with people who have wallets packed with cash. If you're looking at an area that doesn't have all three......don't even think about it
You are basing your negativity off fedex ground. The payment seems to be based on more than just package pay. If they include mileage pay, in a formula similar to old core zone pay, you can still make money. I made money even on days I drove 350 miles with 30 stops. Condensed areas with low core zones actually needed volume, and suffered when volume was low. But when hiring drivers, when volume is low in condensed areas, the driver will work fewer hours, if you keep tight reins on clock milking.

Without seeing the actual pay formula, mileage and and volume expectations, there is ZERO way to make a judgement.

And with 40 routes, and a seven day schedule, a capable manager should be able to work the schedule so drivers only work a couple Sundays in a row, or you could pay more for less optimal hours. Most of you posting negative are solely caught up in how fedex operates.

And the info seemed to indicate that the variation from earning $75k to $300k was based on having 10 routes versus 40. Managing 10 routes seven days a week to earn $75k is maybe going to be more problems than making $300k with 40 routes. All the extra drivers gives you a lot more flexibility and redundancy. Paying an extra manager is going to be easier with the 'extra' $225k.

bacha29

You are basing your negativity off fedex ground. The payment seems to be based on more than just package pay. If they include mileage pay, in a formula similar to old core zone pay, you can still make money. I made money even on days I drove 350 miles with 30 stops. Condensed areas with low core zones actually needed volume, and suffered when volume was low. But when hiring drivers, when volume is low in condensed areas, the driver will work fewer hours, if you keep tight reins on clock milking.

Without seeing the actual pay formula, mileage and and volume expectations, there is ZERO way to make a judgement.

And with 40 routes, and a seven day schedule, a capable manager should be able to work the schedule so drivers only work a couple Sundays in a row, or you could pay more for less optimal hours. Most of you posting negative are solely caught up in how fedex operates.

And the info seemed to indicate that the variation from earning $75k to $300k was based on having 10 routes versus 40. Managing 10 routes seven days a week to earn $75k is maybe going to be more problems than making $300k with 40 routes. All the extra drivers gives you a lot more flexibility and redundancy. Paying an extra manager is going to be easier with the 'extra' $225k.
Here you go again. In one sentence you say it's impossible to make a judgement but in the next sentence you're specing out your yacht.
About the only thing known for certain is that they're delivering in the Hamptons but not in Hicksville.
Furthermore, there will no doubt be fools who will try to get a contract motivated by the dumb assumption that you'll always be able to find some poor slug willing to work his damn fool head off for nothing. Psst. little secret...... We're running out of them. .... Likewise money's going to talk very loud when it comes to who's selected. Ten million in net worth with two million in working capital may not be far off of what they have in mind.

Oldfart

Here you go again. In one sentence you say it's impossible to make a judgement but in the next sentence you're specing out your yacht.
About the only thing known for certain is that they're delivering in the Hamptons but not in Hicksville.
Furthermore, there will no doubt be fools who will try to get a contract motivated by the dumb assumption that you'll always be able to find some poor slug willing to work his damn fool head off for nothing. Psst. little secret...... We're running out of them. .... Likewise money's going to talk very loud when it comes to who's selected. Ten million in net worth with two million in working capital may not be far off of what they have in mind.
You better listen to bacha. He is a financial genius.

dvalleyjim

I think this was said. Bezos will not pay more for shipping than he can get sending a package with the cheapest UPS/USPS/FedEx option. Thus your per stop pay will be based on the lowest common denominator. I think that would have to be his model or why do it.