Bezos does the expected for once.

McFeely

Huge Member
We know Amazon is getting deeper into the delivery biz to save money on what they spend with FX, UPS, USPS.

To achieve this goal? Gonna pay even less than what Ground might charge for the same service. “Owning” 40 or so routes and keeping 80-some employees hired sounds like an exercise in frustration. Especially if, like Ground, drivers make around $12/hr with little to no benefits or incentive to stick around.

Purplepackage

We know Amazon is getting deeper into the delivery biz to save money on what they spend with FX, UPS, USPS.

To achieve this goal? Gonna pay even less than what Ground might charge for the same service. “Owning” 40 or so routes and keeping 80-some employees hired sounds like an exercise in frustration. Especially if, like Ground, drivers make around $12/hr with little to no benefits or incentive to stick around.

If they want 40 routes and double the amount of drivers, what exactly are the other 40 drivers doing that don’t have routes everyday

Chaos

I Am The Devil
That’s just it, it’s going to be your job to figure out how to keep all your guys employed and working full time or part time. Seems to me like they A expects you to have a driver and his little helper jumper in the truck everyday? All profits going down down down down

Chaos

I Am The Devil
7 day operation, inevitable high turnover, won’t be hard to get drivers 40 hrs/week.

Sure. I can’t remember off the top of my head cause I don’t have the paperwork sitting in front of me but they expect you to maintain that 80person workforce, it’s ridiculous.

It will be fine

But 40/80 drivers/employees 7/365 and still make your $300K? Without knowing the going rate?
Doesn’t sound like it to me. I’d guess the $300k projection is best case. I don’t know what they’re paying but if they expect 40 routes on road daily, you’ll need at least 55 trucks and probably maintain a staff of at least 60 drivers just to cover the bare minimum. 80 drivers probably keeps the OT at a minimum, but regardless of market it’s probably hard to maintain that staffing level. It sounds like a bad payoff for the stress and work involved, but who knows? Maybe $300k is just a guess and a properly run organization can hit $500k?

bacha29

But 40/80 drivers/employees 7/365 and still make your $300K? Without knowing the going rate?
Once again it will still come down to how well the demographics of the ADP's service matches up with the stated estimates and those estimates will no doubt be based on optimum demographics that will be about as far removed from real life conditions as they could possibly be.

bbsam

Staff member
Once again it will still come down to how well the demographics of the ADP's service matches up with the stated estimates and those estimates will no doubt be based on optimum demographics that will be about as far removed from real life conditions as they could possibly be.
You know bacha, your theorem really doesn’t hold up well since X does have successful contractors even out in the boonies. Guys who’ve been out there for decades.

So whatever impossibilities may exist have either been addressed by X or overcome by contractors.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
I dunno, I was told by the bc that my route and 2 other rural routes are operating in the red on my belt line... the other 27 routes make up for it I guess.

They're with the investor class group that has a monopoly on the terminal, but kept the seller's old company names to keep that illusion.

There are only 2 real independent service providers left in my terminal. The former subcontractors that sold their routes are acting as bc or ao

bbsam

Staff member
I dunno, I was told by the bc that my route and 2 other rural routes are operating in the red on my belt line... the other 27 routes make up for it I guess.

They're with the investor class group that has a monopoly on the terminal, but kept the seller's old company names to keep that illusion.

There are only 2 real independent service providers left in my terminal. The former subcontractors that sold their routes are acting as bc or ao
But it is getting done?

OrioN

Yeah, they finally see drivers like me are a value in those select areas.

Sure,they can try to find someone cheaper to cover the routes... but they will have to babysit their phones up until close to 2300 in case something goes wrong

bbsam

Staff member
Yeah, they finally see drivers like me are a value in those select areas.

Sure,they can try to find someone cheaper to cover the routes... but they will have to babysit their phones up until close to 2300 in case something goes wrong
Right. And businesses run in the red in some areas because they know they have to to get the other business. That’s just how it works. X does it. UPS does it. Contractors do it too.

bacha29

You know bacha, your theorem really doesn’t hold up well since X does have successful contractors even out in the boonies. Guys who’ve been out there for decades.

So whatever impossibilities may exist have either been addressed by X or overcome by contractors.
But when a contractors routes are ALL out in the BFE's they often have very little in the way of high revenue low input areas to offset money losing areas elsewhere. In over the past couple of years I saw examples on route boards of contractors trying to offload their junk routes in an effort to downsize while keeping the most profitable ones. In fact recently you mentioned doing the same thing yourself

OrioN

yup, & USPS has been doing it for the longest time... but using rural carriers to pay them less?

bbsam

Staff member
But when a contractors routes are ALL out in the BFE's they often have very little in the way of high revenue low input areas to offset money losing areas elsewhere. In over the past couple of years I saw examples on route boards of contractors trying to offload their junk routes in an effort to downsize while keeping the most profitable ones. In fact recently you mentioned doing the same thing yourself
The area I would be selling off includes a very profitable city of about 30000 and has several world headquarters businesses in it.

And I don’t know why anyone with any business sense would buy only crap rural area.

bacha29

The area I would be selling off includes a very profitable city of about 30000 and has several world headquarters businesses in it.

And I don’t know why anyone with any business sense would buy only crap rural area.
My fellow Day 1's had ours given to us free. But the original terminal manager had to go around to warehouses, trucking depots etc and look for people wiling to have a go at it. City of 30,000? We had entire counties that didn't have 30,000 people living in them. County seats? They all have populations of less than 7000.

bbsam

Staff member
My fellow Day 1's had ours given to us free. But the original terminal manager had to go around to warehouses, trucking depots etc and look for people wiling to have a go at it. City of 30,000? We had entire counties that didn't have 30,000 people living in them. County seats? They all have populations of less than 7000.
Then you live in crapsville, US. Has X stopped serving those addresses since you left?