Bid Air Driver

new2dagame

I know this topic is everywhere but cant find a straight up answer. I know I am assigned Tuesday Thru Saturday....trained for a week with sup doing NDA and shuttle work. I think starting pay is $12.50. Can someone give me the (what to expect) real deal knowledge. I hear so many stories, and would like to know the truth. When does Health/Vision/Dental and all that kick in? How many hours to expect? Can I work other areas, inside building? Fueler? Etc ? to get more hours.....

Please just fill me in with the facts that are known.. I understand a lot differs from hub to hub, and going full time ground driver is never known. I am off the street hire, also have CDL would love to go to feeder school if possible.

Thanks Guys and Gals.......

Any information I great appreciate it.

AlliSeeisBrown

When I first got hired PT they said 1 year until you get bennies. Well, I went full time less than a year and all the bennies just showed up in the mail. So for you I'd assume once you hit a year, unless you go FT, you'll get them.
I'd be careful what you wish for asking for more hours. I never asked because I never wanted it. Seen some PTers around here that asked for it and have gotten abused. If you're that interested, just ask your sup if they need help on the preload before you run air or if help is needed on the night sort. Worth a shot. Be patient and look out for bid sheets for FT.

Hellobrown2000

Hours vary. If your center manager allows it you can work over 8 hours a day. Run air then shuttle then misloads then depending, go run stops off of drivers who need help. But bet on only working 4-5 hours. Benefits 1 year unless you work in a union locked state. Pay is 12.50, progression is 3 years top rate is high 20'school. Be an air driver till you can cover drive or go ft. Places are getting rid of misloads though so hours will be getting cut.

PT Car Washer

Hours vary. If your center manager allows it you can work over 8 hours a day. Run air then shuttle then misloads then depending, go run stops off of drivers who need help. But bet on only working 4-5 hours. Benefits 1 year unless you work in a union locked state. Pay is 12.50, progression is 3 years top rate is high 20'school. Be an air driver till you can cover drive or go ft. Places are getting rid of misloads though so hours will be getting cut.
Progression is 2 years with top rate currently $28.14/hr. Extra work is awarded by seniority and as the bottom guy that work could be limited.

Hellobrown2000

Attachments

• IMG_5747.jpg
    IMG_5747.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 204

PT Car Washer

I read that as the first three wage increases happen on Aug 1st and the last two are split between Aug 1st and Feb 1st. Nothing about progression increasing to 36 months.

Box Ox

SO ( 5E ) would that be a (air exception driver) but paper work said Bid Air Driver.....whats the difference?

5E is as-needed air driver. Used when your official position is an inside PT gig. Even if you air drive more than you work inside.

5B bid Air is an official PT driving position.

Box Ox

so how do I really know what I am? I just know sup told me to put 5E in diad, but job app side bid air driver

You won't be 5B until you're processed as a bid driver.

EDIT: see you're off street. I dunno what's going on with you being told to 5E then. Better Make sure you're not actually a preloader.

Last edited:

BurntSienna

I'm currently qualifying for a ft driver position. I'm classified as pt and I do a lot of air exception work. I make top rate when I deliver air ($27.64)but my inside rate is a lot less. Will I keep my air rate after I go FT or am I back to $18.75? I've heard conflicting things