Bid Time

GoBrown???

I'm not sure how it is with the rest of the country but we have an annual bid. In the new contract is is now going to be a 2 year bid. I have no problem with this but I do have a problem with it starting at this bid even though we are not in the new contract. Apparently UPS and the UNION cut a deal and are going to start parts of the new contract now. Basically if you are a cover driver and have the chance to get a route, take it no matter what, unless you want to stay cover for another 2 years.

I'm not sure how it is with the rest of the country but we have an annual bid. In the new contract is is now going to be a 2 year bid. I have no problem with this but I do have a problem with it starting at this bid even though we are not in the new contract. Apparently UPS and the UNION cut a deal and are going to start parts of the new contract now. Basically if you are a cover driver and have the chance to get a route, take it no matter what, unless you want to stay cover for another 2 years.
I bid swing driving on the last two bids and probably will on the next one depending on how many above me bids swing also. Our swing runs are done by seniority also, currently I am #2 on the swing list so a decent run is usually available. I'm going on 20 years as a driver and am still not high enough to be able to bid a decent route.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

That's where you're wrong. The new contract states (bottom line) that everything except money goes into effect within 60 days of ratification. The contract was ratified (unfortunately) that way.

The annual bid up here in New england is now bi-annual. Big deal. Make sure your bid is something you can handle for 2 years. Personally would rather have one year bid but we voted it in!

mgator39

they have first choice of cover routes through position via seniority. that's my understanding

In my center seniority means you work first. The manager put you where they want you.

ol'browneye

We bid for life, or at least until a better route comes along.
Before we voted on the contract I was looking at it and our supplement on line. I was interested in what other supplements around the country have in them so I looked at them. In some areas pkg car has a biannual bid(every 2 yrs). I guess it works just like feeders and their annual bid. There was some pretty interesting stuff in some of these supplements.I think in our (central) supplement we have language that overrides the new 8-hour request process. At least I hope it does.

CFLBrown

I was just questioning what GoBrown said in his original post.

Basically if you are a cover driver and have the chance to get a route, take it no matter what, unless you want to stay cover for another 2 years.

A cover driver isn't bidding on a route. The OP isn't talking about coverage. Even if a cover driver takes a FT bid it still might be best to stay unassigned and cover routes anyway. That is if there isn't a good route available.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Our package bids are done every 2 years. I've had mine for 4 so far and survived a couple so far. I'm #41 on the seniority list in my center out of about 60 FT drivers. our bids only get a wrench thrown in them if we get drivers from the other center bid into ours when there are openings. They always think the grass is greener. :rolleyes:

On the other hand we just picked our vacations and rebid our start times as well. 8:30.......for now.....

J

JonFrum

That's where you're wrong. The new contract states (bottom line) that everything except money goes into effect within 60 days of ratification. The contract was ratified (unfortunately) that way.

Now, where exactly does it say that?

And don't you consider that $6.1 billion payment to Central States, as well as the $1.7 billion pledged to restore benefits previously cut by Central States, to be a money issue?

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Now, where exactly does it say that?

And don't you consider that $6.1 billion payment to Central States, as well as the $1.7 billion pledged to restore benefits previously cut by Central States, to be a money issue?

l) Jointly Trusteed UPS/IBT Full Time Pension Fund
The following provisions pertain to the UPS/IBT Full-Time Employee Pension Plan (hereinafter
“UPS/IBT Plan”) to be created for employees who under the prior Agreement participated in the
Central States Southeast and Southwest Areas Pension Fund (“CS Plan”) and for future
employees who would have participated in the CS Plan absent this agreement who have one hour
of service in Covered Employment on or after January 1, 2008.
(1) Effective January 1, 2008 the Employer and the Union will establish a new, single employer,
jointly trusteed and administered defined benefit plan within the meaning of 29 U.S.C. Section
302(c)(5) for full-time employees who under the prior agreement would have participated in the
CS Plan. As of December 26, 2007, the Employer will cease to have an obligation to contribute to
the CS Plan and will have no other obligation to provide such employees with future benefit
accruals under the CS Plan.

JonFrum, it's essentially a new plan. The contract specifie that this new joint fund has beginning dates previous to Aug 1st and is entirely seperate from the other articles for this reason. I think we all knew/know that this contract had to have been ratified pre- 2008 with this funds ressurection immediately, that was the whole point to early negotiations! You basically stated the obvious.

brownbiker

brownbiker
Question. Has anyone ever had a route assigned (package) for drivers who are disabled? Three years ago I was injured and the management team assigned a route that is extended. It's long hours with many miles but more body friendly than the industrial route that put me into a life of pain.

In our center, we have swing drivers (full time drivers) that have bid swing or unassigned. The swing drivers have a separate seniority list for the purpose of bidding daily on what open route the want to run. Of course "area knowledge" plays a role in this process also. We also have cover drivers(part time drivers) that also have permanent part time jobs such as preload or evening shift. If the cover driver works the evening shift but drives on a given day, he/she does not work their PT job. There are about 5 PTers that they know will be driving 90% of the time so they rarely work their preload shift. Even if no one calls in sick or otherwise takes a day off and no one is on vacation, there is always someone on extended time off, i.e. workers comp, outside disability, FMLA, terminated and under grievance. etc. Everyday, we will have up to 8-10 swing or cover drivers on road.

Question. Has anyone ever had a route assigned (package) for drivers who are disabled? Three years ago I was injured and the management team assigned a route that is extended. It's long hours with many miles but more body friendly than the industrial route that put me into a life of pain.
90% of our routes are bid, the other 10% are unassigned for training purposes, none of which are extended runs. Sounds to me that you lucked out with a good management team.