Big Announcement

705red

Browncafe Steward
A 5% stock discount isn't worth participating in...You can find that in the market and have immediate control of the shares.
Your absolutely right! It sounds like the company is asking for concessions from the union rank and file without negotiating with the union!

Im "possibly" for concessions, but typicallly concessions help keep people working, and it sounds like ups has already layed off around the country.

So why should we agree to this concession?

pkgdog

Who fed you this b.s.?
Perhaps upper level management gets better raises than $50-$200 per month. But i know a full time oms who started working at the customer counter 10 years ago with a pay rate of 12.65. The following several years as an oms...she was paid monthly, then bi-monthly on the 16th and 26th. All the years as an oms, she could never could figure out her pay rate. This year all OMS's went on a weekly hourly pay scale. Guess what...her total 10 year accumulative raise was only $2.70 an hour. Hired in 1999 at 12.65, and realized this year with the new pay rate she's making 15.35. That's a $.27 per hour increase per year on average. So for those who think UPS takes care of ALL management...think again.

S

speeddemon

Nedroc, you can always come live the glamorous life of being a driver. Quit your whining.

Your absolutely right! It sounds like the company is asking for concessions from the union rank and file without negotiating with the union!

Im "possibly" for concessions, but typicallly concessions help keep people working, and it sounds like ups has already layed off around the country.

So why should we agree to this concession?

Concessions on our hourly pay will not keep one person working if the packages aren't there. The volume dictates how many people (hourly) work.
If the volume drops enough to only allow the company to work 1/2 of the drivers and put routes on the road for 10 hours a day, the company will do just that. What the driver gets paid per hour doesn't even fit into the formula.

sano

I was pretty amazed at a story I saw on the news today about the Miami fire department preparing to hire 35 people. 1200 people showed up. Some of them sat in line for two days, waiting for their chance to put in their app.

It reminds me of the bread line pics from the Great Depression(God forbid it ever gets that bad again)
I agree with your post. However, possibly a fire dept is not a good example. I am actually surprised there were not more than 1200 people. Full time firefighter jobs are extremely competitive. Having 1000 or more applicants per opening is the norm. For the coveted companies like NYFD or Chicago or Phoenix, it can be even worse.
Again, I agree with your point. It just anoys me when the news runs a none story as proof that the sky is falling.

Journalism is largly telling people that Lord Jones is dead, who never knew Lord Jones was alive in the first place. - GK Cheserton

local804

I was pretty amazed at a story I saw on the news today about the Miami fire department preparing to hire 35 people. 1200 people showed up. Some of them sat in line for two days, waiting for their chance to put in their app.

It reminds me of the bread line pics from the Great Depression(God forbid it ever gets that bad again)

Everytime Suffolk County Police Department has a test, there are over 25,000 people that take the test. They only have a few recruit classes a year and they only have 2,500 active cops so the numbers are not in your favor.

5 years and the base salary is $97,958, where can i sign up :)

bleedbrown99

We are all forgetting about the big picture, UPS was grounded on honesty, integerty and performance. They have taken all that away and then stocks, no raises, and 401K matches, hey some one said cry me a rive, hell yea.. 14yrs I feel that a month right before raises was a slap in the face, granted it is a tough time.. They want us to run an operation, PERFECTLY, how can i now knowing i got a family to feed, car note to pay and mortage. Who is there to back us up? Shoot Corp, looking out for there jobs now...so cut back is the only answer.. ..humm oh well, im just waiting on the call.... :(

FAVREFAN

Just out of curiosity what makes you think my numbers are inaccurate?. By the way I'm not guessing.
You do realize that $50 per month is only $600 per year, right? Not sure where you work but that would be about 1% or less raise for them where I am at. Maybe things are structured differently in different areas of the country. Peace.

Ptrunner

We are all forgetting about the big picture, UPS was grounded on honesty, integerty and performance. They have taken all that away and then stocks, no raises, and 401K matches, hey some one said cry me a rive, hell yea.. 14yrs I feel that a month right before raises was a slap in the face, granted it is a tough time.. They want us to run an operation, PERFECTLY, how can i now knowing i got a family to feed, car note to pay and mortage. Who is there to back us up? Shoot Corp, looking out for there jobs now...so cut back is the only answer.. ..humm oh well, im just waiting on the call.... :(

Im guessing youre management but was your comment on honesty, integrity is pretty much bull. The problems that got us into this depression are pretty much surrounding honesty and integrity. When those flew out the window, are economy was great but as soon as all the lies caught up to every company, the blocks started tumbling. UPS certainly does have their ethical problems and thats why the union isn't making any voluntary concessions. FIX management first, get rid of half of the part-time supervisors and UPS will be very profitable.

For the union employees who cut corners on a daily basis they will get their pink slip as well. With all the new technology coming out, UPS is investing in. Itll all even out on both sides.

Also to the guy above. You picked to leave the union and join management. To expect getting raises and your stock options while the economy is tanking must mean youre living beyond your means. Another reason why the economy is tanking as well.

Ptrunner

We're AMERICANS! It's our GOD GIVEN RIGHT to live beyond our means...

Is that sarcastic or do you really believe in that. This God Given Right to live beyond our means is new. We didn't have this attitude in the 40s,50,60,70s. And look what happend country became the most dominant nation. If you look in history what happens when the most powerful nation lived a life beyond their means. The Roman Empire collapsed. Take a look in the mirror do you want your kids and their kids to have a future.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Is that sarcastic or do you really believe in that. This God Given Right to live beyond our means is new. We didn't have this attitude in the 40s,50,60,70s. And look what happend country became the most dominant nation. If you look in history what happens when the most powerful nation lived a life beyond their means. The Roman Empire collapsed. Take a look in the mirror do you want your kids and their kids to have a future.
I feel safe in saying,

1 you don't know Over very well you
2 if you did you would know that he was being as sarcastic as can be.

:surprised::happy-very:

Ptrunner

We're AMERICANS! It's our GOD GIVEN RIGHT to live beyond our means...

I feel safe in saying,

1 you don't know Over very well you
2 if you did you would know that he was being as sarcastic as can be.

:surprised::happy-very:

Yeah i dont know over very well. I pay attention to the website since i joined but i dont pay attenton to the posters. Except tieguy since i know hes management. And red since he's ultra union. I really don't know many of the other posters personalities.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Yeah i dont know over very well. I pay attention to the website since i joined but i dont pay attenton to the posters. Except tieguy since i know hes management. And red since he's ultra union. I really don't know many of the other posters personalities.
If you are a regular you will learn. LOL Can't help but learn.:wink2:

747jetmech

the real 18 wheelers
is the 5% stock drop for mgt only, or is that for hourly's as well? and is the 401k match is gone for everybody? hourly and salary?

i just hope everybody buckles down on their money, try to live a simple life for a while and hopefully we can all come out of this better people.

i hate to see people suffer. we all deserve a good life, we work hard, play hard and try our best to raise our family's.

smile big and think positive and good things will come for you:happy-very:
have a great day

redshift1

You do realize that $50 per month is only $600 per year, right? Not sure where you work but that would be about 1% or less raise for them where I am at. Maybe things are structured differently in different areas of the country. Peace.

This range exists pretty much across the country. When you calculate management pay on an hourly basis it is significantly less than what a top rate driver earns per hour. 60 to 70 hrs per week is normal this is why most drivers decline management positions. With the drop in stock price full time
Management has taken a huge financial hit not a job for the faint hearted.