Big Snow!!!!

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
Where i live the forecast is blizzard condition tonight with 18" of snow, I just hope I don't lose power to night , it will be interesting see if IE will allow the center to put out extra rts on Monday, probably not from there nice heated offices.

Where i live the forecast is blizzard condition tonight with 18" of snow, I just hope I don't lose power to night , it will be interesting see if IE will allow the center to put out extra rts on Monday, probably not from there nice heated offices.

We had about 12 inches last weekend here in town...It was a nice change in temp from the week before (-20 verses 25) And I only had 280-300 stops.

spif91

Amazing..............

whiskey

We have a little snow and enough ice during the winter to keep our SPHINCTER Muscles in good shape and I don't see how you can say you get used to it. LOL. I dont know if I ever could. Maybe if I lived in it for years and years. I remember when I was in pkg 1 storm before Christmas and we were toast for the rest of peak. Do you guys get caught up or do your customers just take it for granted your doing all you can to provide service to them?
There's no rest for the weary when it comes to engaging the elements.

Brown Rocket

It's going to be freezing here next week. It wont get over 70 degrees on monday . . .hehehe I'll take a hurricane over a blizzard anyday. Be careful everyone.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's going to be freezing here next week. It wont get over 70 degrees on monday . . .hehehe I'll take a hurricane over a blizzard anyday. Be careful everyone.

Have you ever been through a blizzard? I have been through both and would take a blizzard anyday. Blizzards don't tear down trees or rip the roof off of your house. Sure, you have to shovel a couple of feet of snow (more if it drifts in your driveway), and you may lose your power, but once the wind dies down and the roads are clear it is business as usual.

Brown Rocket

Have you ever been through a blizzard? I have been through both and would take a blizzard anyday. Blizzards don't tear down trees or rip the roof off of your house. Sure, you have to shovel a couple of feet of snow (more if it drifts in your driveway), and you may lose your power, but once the wind dies down and the roads are clear it is business as usual.[

No but big hurricanes are few and far between. Also where I live in Florida it is almost impossible to get a direct hit. It has only happened twice since they started recording hurricanes and only one (Donna) was a bad storm and that was in the 60s.

My thought was more along the lines that hurricanes don't last for days and driving the day after a hurricane is a lot easier and hurricanes aren't cold. I hate cold.

OVERBOARD

Well the big snow as arrive, I still have power, looks to be over 18" of snow and a couple hours left of the snow storm. Well I know what I 'am going to be doing this afternoon a lot of shelving and snow blowing.
P1080933.jpg

Brown Rocket

Well the big snow as arrive, I still have power, looks to be over 18" of snow and a couple hours left of the snow storm. Well I know what I 'am going to be doing this afternoon a lot of shelving and snow blowing.

Is that your dog trying to get throught the snow?

Highwayman

We lucked out here in NEPA. 1 1/2 inches storm over sunday morning sun is shining! We were out all day yesterday furnace was out, had to call heating guy sat. night. Furnace fixed in an hour.:happy-very:

Brown Rocket

Must suck to have to tromp through 18 inches of snow to take a dump. My wife's yorkie (no it isn't mine) would look at that cross his legs and go back in the house.

OVERBOARD

Must suck to have to tromp through 18 inches of snow to take a dump. My wife's yorkie (no it isn't mine) would look at that cross his legs and go back in the house.

Yes it took her a half hour to find a good spot to take a dump, she found one under a tree where there was not much snow. My other dog wouldn't go out until I shoveled her a spot.

Last edited by a moderator:

konsole

We are at about 14 inches just south of Boston right now around noon time and will probably get another 2 inches until it finishes up around 3-4 this afternoon. So that gives our plows about 8 hours to clean the roads before our preload starts just after midnight.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Only around 3 inches here just over the MA border in New Hampshire. Usually it is the other way around, but this time it pays off being further north.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Originally Posted by Hoaxster
Just curious ... do Noreasters refer to shoveled/shoveling as shelving? Never heard this before.
hoax

ive lived in places where shelving is pretty much a good description of what you do with the snow you are shoveling. you pile it on top of the last pile of snow you shoveled the last time it snowed. sometimes 3-6 feet up. kinda like lifting 40-60 pound boxes and placing them on the top shelf of the package car.

It's going to be freezing here next week. It wont get over 70 degrees on monday . . .hehehe I'll take a hurricane over a blizzard anyday. Be careful everyone

we have had the best of both worlds over the last 10 days.

a week ago, we had winds to 80+ mph that did a ton of tree damage, and crushed many houses in the area. worst damage came though when a 70 foot tall tree came crashing down across the road and hit a van right across the front seat area. killed two women, one whos husband works with my wife. between the two women, 19 kids are without a mother this christmas. youngest on one side is 8 months, the other 3 years. 13 of the kids are younger than 12.

anyway, the power just came back on for some just as this new storm hit, dumping 8-24 inches over the area. real disaster area. they allowed some drivers to work saturday to get stuff delivered.

it will be an interesting week, with temps in the 30's, and more snow coming wednesday

Brown Rocket

My wife's mother lives near DC in Va and told my wife that they are saying that the cops will write anyone on the road a wreckless driving ticket right now. I don't know how they can do that, if the road is open it is open right?

I once wrote a ticket (used to be a cop) to someone doing 45 in a 45 but that was during a bad thunderstorm and you couldn't see 10 feet in front of you. It's called too fast for conditions. Perhaps they are writing tickets along the same lines?

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My wife's mother lives near DC in Va and told my wife that they are saying that the cops will write anyone on the road a wreckless driving ticket right now. I don't know hwo they can do that, if the road is open it is open right?

It's called a state of emergency and it is not uncommon during large storms. This keeps the roads clear of unnecessary traffic so that the plows can do their jobs. Tell her to stay home and root for the 'Skins to beat the G-men.

We had the same during our Ice Storm of '98. $1000 tickets for any non-emergency vehicle on the road.

Brown Rocket

It's called a state of emergency and it is not uncommon during large storms. This keeps the roads clear of unnecessary traffic so that the plows can do their jobs. Tell her to stay home and root for the 'Skins to beat the G-men.

We had the same during our Ice Storm of '98. $1000 tickets for any non-emergency vehicle on the road.

I don't trust half the crap my mother-in-law says. She made it sound like the cops were being asses and just writing tickets. I am sure it is more along the lines of what you are saying.

On another note, her boyfriend took her car to work because he didn't want to hurt his. So now she has to walk to work! (and yes I realize I just said she told us everyone on the road gets tickets and then said he took her car to work. This is what I have been told. See why I find her hard to believe)

PS - It's a balmy 61 degrees here.