Bitcoin/Ethereum/cryptocurrencies

rod

Retired 22 years
Has anyone on here ever actually cashed any of this cyrpto crap in on REAL money? And no I don't get it either other that the horror stories that keep popping up on my computer. Still sounds like a BIG Ponzie skeem to me.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Has anyone on here ever actually cashed any of this cyrpto crap in on REAL money? And no I don't get it either other that the horror stories that keep popping up on my computer. Still sounds like a BIG Ponzie skeem to me.
Many, many, many, many times. On many different exchanges.

@rod, crypto is not by itself a Ponzi scheme. There are Many cryptocurrencies out there that basically are, but the underlying technology is not.
Blockchain is basically another way of saying "decentralized ledger". No one can change it without everyone else mathematically verifying that the transaction is acceptable.

It's a way to keep things trustless, and hold people accountable. The paper monetary system is flawed because the government can print as much as they want. Or freeze bank accounts of political enemies. Or Tax peoples' bank accounts like they were going to do in Cyprus in 2013.

The algorithm behind bitcoin prevents anyone from playing games like that.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yes. In 3 days I will make over $2000 for the month of September for running nodes.

Brownslave688

“Real money” there are loads of apps that allow you to but goods with it. There are even a lot of places that accept it directly.

So in many instances it is considered real money.

rod

Retired 22 years
“Real money” there are loads of apps that allow you to but goods with it. There are even a lot of places that accept it directly.

So in many instances it is considered real money.
So its kind of like buying stuff with sacks of potatoes and dead chickens then. Barter

ouanling

So its kind of like buying stuff with sacks of potatoes and dead chickens then. Barter
Crypto currencies are not that useful outside of remittance (think westernunion/moneygram) Some of the big players in that area(that are still unknown to most) have made a lot of advances in terms of relationships with countries like mexico and burma. Unfortunately they are not reaching the people that need it. One good example you can look at is Everex

but thats not 1% of what crypto is. Cryptocurrencies are the useless part of crypto, whats useful is all the platforms and the identity apps and other backend stuff that is used by real companies

an example, TD bank is using this hydrogen company. Big deal. But their cryptocurrency(which the platform is using) is worth nothing right now yet the product TD bought for a LOT of money requires it.

There's also research based crypto as numerai(google it)

there's supply chain stuff, just a few months ago the president of france and china signed an almost billion $ deal for the trade of meat, all of it is verified on chain by cryptocurrency vechain(which walmart china uses actively DAILY)

There's thousands of other backend application that most dont know. Those tokens are gonna be worth billions of $ at some point.

There's also tons of scams, just like in the real stock world. But in the end, there's some real money to be made by buying some of these adopted companies that will be used daily by most large corps very soon.

I started at UPS only to stop withdrawing my crypto profits, i had been doing it fulltime for a few years. Withdrew a lot.

Brownslave688

Very telling image
48EC1246-509B-4090-9B94-C0854754AB8E.jpeg

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Bitcoin? I bought a few in 2014... ignored it for a few years. Now it's fun to watch it go up, but I'm pretty sure it will go back down. Maybe it will continue to go up, who knows? Pure speculation.

I also bought my daughter a few Beanie Babies during the hype back in the day, so my judgement is not to be trusted.
I've still got those coins... my judgement is still not to be trusted.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Can’t withdraw yet though right?

So do you really own bitcoin?
As a wise man once told me, if you don't hold the private key, you don't own anything.

It's basically just the equivalent of Robinhood's crypto markets.
Speculation, and paper crypto.

Still quite a leap forward from where things were though. Just in terms of them legitimizing it by bringing it in.