Bitcoin/Ethereum/cryptocurrencies

PhatPattheRiverRat

Decentralized currency is not going to be the future in my opinion. I think it will be a part of a bigger picture that eschews central banks and Wall St. but I don't see it totally taking over without a full collapse of the dollar. Look at Venezuela, their instability is fueling the growth massively.

PhatPattheRiverRat

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you can expect to 10x your money in Ethereum in 2018

From everything I have seen and the amount of reading and research, I would say that is a total possibility. I could see ETH eclipse Bitcoin—actually I could see the technology around Ethereum grow at a rate that decimates Bitcoin and it's growth.

I expect to make money on this, and if I don't well...at least I didn't sink my portfolio into it. The Fed is drooling at the prospect of regulating the hell out of crypto, but I think we are a ways away from it happening. Before that, it will grow pretty much unchecked IMO.

trickpony1

but I don't see it totally taking over without a full collapse of the dollar. Look at Venezuela, their instability is fueling the growth massively.

That's what our government wants.
Venezuela oil is being sold in other than US dollars.
Does anyone think it's a little odd that a new currency is being introduced?

One world currency...one world government...the new world order.

Connect the dots....

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
From everything I have seen and the amount of reading and research, I would say that is a total possibility. I could see ETH eclipse Bitcoin—actually I could see the technology around Ethereum grow at a rate that decimates Bitcoin and it's growth.

I expect to make money on this, and if I don't well...at least I didn't sink my portfolio into it. The Fed is drooling at the prospect of regulating the hell out of crypto, but I think we are a ways away from it happening. Before that, it will grow pretty much unchecked IMO.
All predictions are for Ethereum to pass bitcoin in market cap in 2018. That should easily put it past $3000.

PhatPattheRiverRat

Connect the dots....

It's totally possible. Anything is possible. Look at the writings of BTC software pioneers like Steve Dekorte and read other works by some of those most closely connected to the digital currencies though and it becomes clear that this was going to happen at some point—an attempt to decentralize currency.

What you also glean from reading the writings of those mentioned above is that the aim of these new currencies is to reduce the power and reach of governments in a big way. Also,Bitcoin is over 8 years old, so it really isn't just being introduced but I see your point.

If you ever have time, read up on Keynesian Economics and it may assuage your worries, or maybe not.

Brownslave688

Connect the dots....
The problem is the governments have no way to control these currencies.

I do agree though we may see the governments try to create their own world wide crypto.

PhatPattheRiverRat

The problem is the governments have no way to control these currencies.

I do agree though we may see the governments try to create their own world wide crypto.

Exactly. Governments are kind of losing it over the growth of crypto at the moment for that reason. This just goes to show that really smart people can destabilize systems in their own way. Pretty fascinating to think about.

slaveofbigbrown

I love the stuff this guy at fidelity hands me daily. Everyday it’s something new. I just laugh at him

Attachments

• 24DEE24D-5EA5-4F37-A52A-69EC8CF4D6D8.jpeg
    24DEE24D-5EA5-4F37-A52A-69EC8CF4D6D8.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 269

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I put some play money into btc and eth, if it pays out great, if it crashes and burns then it's nothing I couldn't afford to lose.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Read the article or at least check all of the odds.

McDonalds wal mart Amazon Apple.

All with pretty good odds of adding it as a usable currency in 2018.

Even if only one or two of those places start the rest will quickly follow behind.
I read it. Doesn't explain at all how they will be accepting it. There's a way to make money here without gambling directly on a newly invented currency.

If I was interested in crypto, I'd be investing in Square, not buying a volatile "currency". That or a stable company like IBM that is making long term plays in block chain technology.

Brownslave688

I read it. Doesn't explain at all how they will be accepting it. There's a way to make money here without gambling directly on a newly invented currency.

If I was interested in crypto, I'd be investing in Square, not buying a volatile "currency". That or a stable company like IBM that is making long term plays in block chain technology.
Bitcoin has a ways to go to be accepted. Transaction costs are way too high and it could take 20-30-40 minutes for the transaction to go thru.

How it will be accepted though is just like Apple Pay. It'll be an app on your phone that you pay wirelessly with.

Brownslave688

I will add there are other cryptos that are much better utilized as a currency than bitcoin.

Bitcoin considers itself a stored value. Like gold.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Bitcoin has a ways to go to be accepted. Transaction costs are way too high and it could take 20-30-40 minutes for the transaction to go thru.

How it will be accepted though is just like Apple Pay. It'll be an app on your phone that you pay wirelessly with.
Square is making an early play for that market share I think they're gonna do well.

All I'm saying is I'm not willing to lose 100% of any of my investments, so I'm not buying crypto. Safer to invest in solid companies that have some interest in the transactional aspect or block chain technology.

Brownslave688

Square is making an early play for that market share I think they're gonna do well.

All I'm saying is I'm not willing to lose 100% of any of my investments, so I'm not buying crypto. Safer to invest in solid companies that have some interest in the transactional aspect or block chain technology.
I get that but your big cryptos are here to stay. Don't buy the penny cryptos and you'll never lose it all.

Totally get that it's a risk reward thing though. There's just nothing else I can throw 5 grand at and have the shot at 500 grand in a few years.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Read the article or at least check all of the odds.

McDonalds wal mart Amazon Apple.

All with pretty good odds of adding it as a usable currency in 2018.

Even if only one or two of those places start the rest will quickly follow behind.

I just started using Apple Pay. Going to take me a long time, if ever, to jump on the bitcoin train.