Bonus Centers

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I am in a bonus center. I don’t run at all, but I am certainly not slow. And at my center it really all just depends on which route you are on. I run around 20 different routes currently (some much more often than others). And I work the same pace on every single one. Some routes I am 1-2 hours over no matter what. And there are 3 routes where I am at least 50 clicks under every single day, sometimes as much as 3 hours under on one route in particular (has high volume pickups of smalls which are bagged up).
Your center team must be asleep at the wheel, most places would have already slapped a smalls allowance on that account.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Oh look, there is about to be another job opening for a few weeks.

You do know that is not the correct method? Padding stops, just DR it and move on...
Had an on car supervisor years ago recommended just that. Get more signatures at residential stops as long as I wasn't going out of my way or waiting too long for contact. Made my numbers look better and he wouldn't have to ride with me so often. Worked as directed.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I am in a bonus center. I don’t run at all, but I am certainly not slow. And at my center it really all just depends on which route you are on. I run around 20 different routes currently (some much more often than others). And I work the same pace on every single one. Some routes I am 1-2 hours over no matter what. And there are 3 routes where I am at least 50 clicks under every single day, sometimes as much as 3 hours under on one route in particular (has high volume pickups of smalls which are bagged up).
You have to open up those bags and do a six sided check of all those smalls to make sure they're not double labeled.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

It would certainly light a fire under managements ass in my building to fix Orion routes, stop making stupid moves and route cuts. My dispatcher would be begging for change outside a Walmart by the end of the first week.

Karma...

when I was assigned to set up routes it was the driver who did it with very little input from me....most of my time was spent with working on and with the preload get the brownies loaded correctly......

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
It would be those routes with lousy allowances that would sue.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It would be those routes with lousy allowances that would sue.
Sue for what, on what grounds?

I'm not trying to arguing with you and hate the bonus system too, but just don't see an angle for what you continue to suggest in the presence of a collective bargaining agreement that provides for a bonus system.

Wally

Sue for what, on what grounds?

I'm not trying to arguing with you and hate the bonus system too, but just don't see an angle for what you continue to suggest in the presence of a collective bargaining agreement that provides for a bonus system.
So the entire bonus system is laid out in the agreement? How calculations are made, etc, How about the employee's right to challenge the results? If it is not uniform across the board, one may call foul. A route that can never scratch because of faulty allowance while others easily scratch are prime examples. The criteria for bonus is where the problem may be. The difference is affirmative defenses and it is the employer’s responsibility to prove that it is fair.

Title VII, ADEA, and ADA are also useful to challenge bonus.

Pay/compensation discrimination occurs when employees performing substantially equal work do not receive the same pay for their work. It is job content and not job titles that determine whether or not jobs are substantially equal. Federal law looks to see that individuals performing jobs that require substantially equal skill, effort, responsibility, and under similar working conditions are compensated equally for their time. Discrimination can occur due to sex or race, which are both prohibited under federal law. All forms of pay are covered by the law, including salary, overtime pay, bonuses, stock options, profit sharing and bonus plans, life insurance, vacation and holiday pay, cleaning or gasoline allowances, hotel accommodations, reimbursement for travel expenses, and benefits.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
So the entire bonus system is laid out in the agreement? How calculations are made, etc, How about the employee's right to challenge the results? If it is not uniform across the board, one may call foul. A route that can never scratch because of faulty allowance while others easily scratch are prime examples. The criteria for bonus is where the problem may be. The difference is affirmative defenses and it is the employer’s responsibility to prove that it is fair.

Title VII, ADEA, and ADA are also useful to challenge bonus.

Pay/compensation discrimination occurs when employees performing substantially equal work do not receive the same pay for their work. It is job content and not job titles that determine whether or not jobs are substantially equal. Federal law looks to see that individuals performing jobs that require substantially equal skill, effort, responsibility, and under similar working conditions are compensated equally for their time. Discrimination can occur due to sex or race, which are both prohibited under federal law. All forms of pay are covered by the law, including salary, overtime pay, bonuses, stock options, profit sharing and bonus plans, life insurance, vacation and holiday pay, cleaning or gasoline allowances, hotel accommodations, reimbursement for travel expenses, and benefits.
Again, this particular bonus system is provided for in a collective bargaining agreement which was agreed to when it was ratified by the membership, as well as a majority process (50%+1) for the membership to have the very same bonus system removed at any time during the life of the agreement.

Not sure we can sue over what we bargained for?

UPSer's aren't "at will" employees.

Wally

Again, this particular bonus system is provided for in a collective bargaining agreement which was agreed to when it was ratified by the membership, as well as a majority process (50%+1) for the membership to have the very same bonus system removed at any time during the life of the agreement.

Not sure we can sue over what we bargained for?

UPSer's aren't "at will" employees.
The union doesn't make the numbers, the company does. It is up to the company to make sure it is equal as implemented. They also may have to accommodate those that cannot meet standard numbers due to ADA reasons, etc.

All they have to do is "fix" problem routes allowances.

The union doesn't make the numbers, the company does. It is up to the company to make sure it is equal as implemented. They also may have to accommodate those that cannot meet standard numbers due to ADA reasons, etc.

All they have to do is "fix" problem routes allowances.
The Union does not recognize the companies numbers, only a fair days work for a fair days pay.

If they agree to bonus, aren't they in fact agreeing to numbers?

I always thought this bizarre? Why would any union go for this?
No. Company numbers and company bonus. Which is why a delivery driver consistently over standards (we all know who they are, go on vacation and the newbie comes in an hour or more earlier) can not be disciplined and is paid by the hour.

satellitedriver

If they agree to bonus, aren't they in fact agreeing to numbers?

I always thought this bizarre? Why would any union go for this?
WOR report every morning showing drivers performance, in a bonus center
If under allowed ,by the UPS metric, we were paid straight time for beating their metric.
Union approved, by local contract.
I received 30 to 40 minutes every day free pay for doing it the way UPS wanted the job done.
Not running and gunning, as I have heard the complaints, just being methodical and following the 340 delivery methods.
Why would union's not go for it?

slingshot90

Oh look, there is about to be another job opening for a few weeks.

You do know that is not the correct method? Padding stops, just DR it and move on...
For what? Because I ask for signatures when I see the person the package belongs to? On what planet is that a bad idea, I'm not padding stops, simply verifying the customer got their package by using the method of them signing off on it. If that happens to "pad" stops, so be it. :wink2: "oh look, there goes another rookie if he keeps it up!" I'm not just signing for stuff every stop and as much as I want to, some of you are so quick to be like NOT A METHOD YOURE FIRED. No one has said a word about anything to anyone, and there are way more people who do it for most of their route. There are bigger issues in our building, such as 15 call offs a day and routes sitting and people yelling at everyone and walking out, perhaps one day theyll move their focus to "hey that one driver....he had 25% signatures on his route....should we fire him?"

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

For what? Because I ask for signatures when I see the person the package belongs to? On what planet is that a bad idea, I'm not padding stops, simply verifying the customer got their package by using the method of them signing off on it. If that happens to "pad" stops, so be it. :wink2: "oh look, there goes another rookie if he keeps it up!" I'm not just signing for stuff every stop and as much as I want to, some of you are so quick to be like NOT A METHOD YOURE FIRED. No one has said a word about anything to anyone, and there are way more people who do it for most of their route. There are bigger issues in our building, such as 15 call offs a day and routes sitting and people yelling at everyone and walking out, perhaps one day theyll move their focus to "hey that one driver....he had 25% signatures on his route....should we fire him?"
You asked for an autograph simply because the consignee was standing right in front of you? Had he/she not been there, would you have DR'd the package? If you answered "yes" to that then you are padding stops.

When UPS first started making residential deliveries they required a signature at each and every stop. Over time they realized that they could safely deliver the vast majority of these packages without requiring a signature; yes, there would be service failures, but the money saved by not having to run send agains back through the system far outweighed the money lost on the occasional bad DR. When I first started, I was told that UPS "made money on the first attempt, broke even on the second and lost money on the third". This is why they introduced driver release and why they more recently introduced Access Points, which have received a lukewarm reception "If I wanted to go pickup my package I may as well have gone to the store".

Quite simply, if the consignee is standing right in front of you and the package in question is not a high value, you hand it to him/her and go on your way. You do not need (or should get) a signature-----that is stop padding.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I know a driver who was fired for that, a bit different than your situation because he kept getting signatures even after he'd been instructed not to (can't fix stupid) but the point is the company does not want you doing what you're doing. If it's an approved DR area you're supposed to hand the customer the package, mcm/mcw.

Wally

We are told not to get signatures. The company wants us to scan and sling! Work as directed, not to pad bonus.