Bonus Centers

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I know a driver who was fired for that, a bit different than your situation because he kept getting signatures even after he'd been instructed not to (can't fix stupid) but the point is the company does not want you doing what you're doing. If it's an approved DR area you're supposed to hand the customer the package, mcm/mcw.
They have changed those DR options----instead of MCM/MCW/MCB/MCG, it is just MC.

oldngray

nowhere special
I know a driver who was fired for that, a bit different than your situation because he kept getting signatures even after he'd been instructed not to (can't fix stupid) but the point is the company does not want you doing what you're doing. If it's an approved DR area you're supposed to hand the customer the package, mcm/mcw.
Usually only an issue in bonus centers. DR is supposed to be at the driver's discretion and in high claim areas it is often better to get a signature if possible. If you aren't in a bonus center your overallow doesn't matter so it is more a matter of reducing claims.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Usually only an issue in bonus centers. DR is supposed to be at the driver's discretion and in high claim areas it is often better to get a signature if possible. If you aren't in a bonus center your overallow doesn't matter so it is more a matter of reducing claims.
Partially correct-----while DR is at the driver's discretion, this particular driver is not even thinking about DRing anything. Over allowed, especially an hour or more, has become a huge concern to the point where they now do production rides. Areas with high claims will not allow you to DR anything other than Surepost.

quad decade guy

Partially correct-----while DR is at the driver's discretion, this particular driver is not even thinking about DRing anything. Over allowed, especially an hour or more, has become a huge concern to the point where they now do production rides. Areas with high claims will not allow you to DR anything other than Surepost.
Say, aren't you RETIRED?

For awhile now.....right?

Are your comments based on when you worked here? You sure seem plugged in.....

oldngray

nowhere special
I delivered in non DR areas and next to them would be areas that allowed DR but were sketchy and high claims. A couple of those went back and forth between allowing DR.

Re-Raise

I don’t understand the hate for people who work quickly and intelligently. My center had plenty of lazy, out of shape and quite frankly stupid people working there.

It sucked on the preload when they couldn’t keep up and it made my job harder. It also sucked to deliver in a loop with sloths or stupid rookies who couldn’t do their work.

I would much rather work with people who wanted to perform well. Not cut corners, but actually tried.

I am retired now and work on a farm and golf several times a week. Why would I want all of my coworkers to be slow as hell and all of the guys on my scramble team to suck?

There was a group of 5 drivers in a loop at my old center that were literally trying to race each other to be the slowest in the loop, because they were tired of getting each other’s work.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
They have changed those DR options----instead of MCM/MCW/MCB/MCG, it is just MC.
I thought you retired a few years ago?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
He has no other life than giving his worthless 2 cents to this forum. A miserable baggy eyed ball washer who couldn't find a life outside this forum. He just can't find anything else.
We knew all of that before he retired? :wink2:

My point is being away from UPS for any significant period of time does not afford anyone the frame of reference to give anybody DIAD advice.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We knew all of that before he retired? :wink2:

My point is being away from UPS for any significant period of time does not afford anyone the frame of reference to give anybody DIAD advice.
Unless said person was recently asked to come back to train new drivers for Peak for roughly $5/hr more than your current top rate:

IMG_0382.jpg

slingshot90

You asked for an autograph simply because the consignee was standing right in front of you? Had he/she not been there, would you have DR'd the package? If you answered "yes" to that then you are padding stops.

When UPS first started making residential deliveries they required a signature at each and every stop. Over time they realized that they could safely deliver the vast majority of these packages without requiring a signature; yes, there would be service failures, but the money saved by not having to run send agains back through the system far outweighed the money lost on the occasional bad DR. When I first started, I was told that UPS "made money on the first attempt, broke even on the second and lost money on the third". This is why they introduced driver release and why they more recently introduced Access Points, which have received a lukewarm reception "If I wanted to go pickup my package I may as well have gone to the store".

Quite simply, if the consignee is standing right in front of you and the package in question is not a high value, you hand it to him/her and go on your way. You do not need (or should get) a signature-----that is stop padding.
Wow, an actual response that makes sense. I wasn't told anything about NOT getting them. I think our center is VERY lax compared to what it appears is not the case for many of you. But I do appreciate an appropriate response other than "Looks like someones gonna be fired soon." Thats a very extreme conclusion to jump to based on what I explained. Our center is a bonus center, and very few people DONT make bonus, in fact, it is a race to make as much as you can for most drivers. I get the sense that good bonus numbers make our center manager look good, so hence why it doesn't seem at all like they are exactly trying to figure out why every driver is always under.