Bonuses at local 705

BigBrown1234

A12A0C8E-9F93-4DC6-B64D-CF70B8A5EE85.png
The only problem I see, is if they are "new-hires" and haven't gained seniority yet....

then it doesn't apply because they aren't covered by the contract except for wages.

If they are still paying them after that, you have a case.

-Bug-

The only problem I see is why the company is having to be sneaky and pay members more than the Union can bargain for?

Why pay union dues when your treated better at Walmart or other non union spots. I don’t blame the PT for not wanting to join the union. Especially if they never want to go FT.

Imagine if the PT ranks decided to decertify the Teamsters and let the FT fend for themselves.

If the PT did start their own union I guarantee they would bargain for a way better working environment and economic package.

My BA told me that NCal and the East are having this problem. We keep asking for a realistic COLA but the rest of the US won’t approve. Why? Because they won’t get theirs.

It’s so pathetic out here in the Bay Area. 90% of the PT ranks have been with the company for less than a year. So sups work daily along with drivers and double shifters. The min wage is $15 an hour in SF.
My daughter got a PT job at 16 as a secretary for an insurance company starting at $16 hour with bennies. And she just answers the phone.

Staydryitsraining

This will be sorted out in the new contract. UPS and the Union both now realize they can't effectively staff the preload at minimum wage. It really sucks for the people who started a little before they added the bonus.
Preloaders in my area get 75 a week. The union where im at is horrid.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
View attachment 193598

The only problem I see is why the company is having to be sneaky and pay members more than the Union can bargain for?

Why pay union dues when your treated better at Walmart or other non union spots. I don’t blame the PT for not wanting to join the union. Especially if they never want to go FT.

Imagine if the PT ranks decided to decertify the Teamsters and let the FT fend for themselves.

If the PT did start their own union I guarantee they would bargain for a way better working environment and economic package.

My BA told me that NCal and the East are having this problem. We keep asking for a realistic COLA but the rest of the US won’t approve. Why? Because they won’t get theirs.

It’s so pathetic out here in the Bay Area. 90% of the PT ranks have been with the company for less than a year. So sups work daily along with drivers and double shifters. The min wage is $15 an hour in SF.
My daughter got a PT job at 16 as a secretary for an insurance company starting at $16 hour with bennies. And she just answers the phone.

Wow.

I don't see how the company is being "sneaky".

It seems pretty overt.

And, we are talking about new-hires.... potential members.... that aren't part of the

bargaining unit yet. How do you negotiate on their behalf ?

Oh no....

Who were those 2 feeder drivers from N Carolina, that tried this ?

Absolute BS.

-Bug-

Last edited:

bowhnterdon

I do not encourage PT to join the Union,I could not stand to give the Union more dues money for bare minimum wages.To tell someone you are a Union member and make that amount is sad...

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I do not encourage PT to join the Union,I could not stand to give the Union more dues money for bare minimum wages.To tell someone you are a Union member and make that amount is sad...
If the PT wage is all someone is interested in, I'd encourage them to work somewhere else. If they want some of the best PT benefits in the country, and/or a great future earning potential, then I would hope they'd be smart enough to join the union that makes those things possible.

cachmeifucan

Most young people are healthy or on parents ins I guess 1 good thing about obama care and nobody who comes in part time thinks about staying for decades and the ones who are motivated or capable to drive or go management usually go right away

BigBrown1234

Wow.

I don't see how the company is being "sneaky".

It seems pretty overt.

And, we are talking about new-hires.... potential members.... that aren't part of the

bargaining unit yet. How do you negotiate on their behalf ?

Oh no....

Who were those 2 feeder drivers from N Carolina, that tried this ?

Absolute BS.

-Bug-

Yup

They are being sneaky. I had to inform the BA that they were starting new PT at $12 an hour. (A PT brought to my attention) Newly hired PT all had different starting wages depending upon what they negotiated on there own, by requesting it from HR during their interview process. (They were negotiating on their own better than the Union)

The BA had no idea, and he stopped it.

According to your philosophy, how can the BA stop this if they are not Union?

All members work according to the CBA if they are doing this particular work. Whether they have passed their probation or not.

So are you saying that if UPS is willing to start a PT in SF at $25 an hour then after they pass probation they go back to $10, that sounds dumb.

Feeder is class A, they can get work anywhere at any company. Besides that PT is what, 60% of the work force? Feeder is what, 10%

I agree the union officials are usually full of BS. But that is still what he said to me.

WorkingAsDirected

So I talked to my BA regarding new hires receiving bonuses and how I think the contract does not allow it. My BA told me that it went into arbitration and lost. He gave me the example of the CRCP Program (an education program that pays for college and living expenses College Benefits )
Since CRCP is allowed and considered to be a bonus, they found a loophole that allows the bonus for new hires. Now what I forgot to mention to him is that any new plan that is put in place has to be checked with and secured with the approval of the Union. CRCP has been in place since 2003. Im guessing this program has secured approval.

Is my BA right about the CRCP program? Where could I go to find the details on the arbitration case?

WorkingAsDirected

From the CRCP program:
BENEFIT ANNUALLY
Tuition, Fees & Books $5,250
Part-Time UPS Job - Gross pay (Starting pay $10.35/hr) $10,500
Monthly Bonus ($300 - $600/month) $3,600 - $7,200
Annual CRCP Maximum Benefit Potential $19,350 - $22,950
UPS Perfect Attendance Bonus: Receive an extra $125/week for perfect attendance at work, now through August 1, 2018.

km3

So I talked to my BA regarding new hires receiving bonuses and how I think the contract does not allow it. My BA told me that it went into arbitration and lost. He gave me the example of the CRCP Program (an education program that pays for college and living expenses College Benefits )
Since CRCP is allowed and considered to be a bonus, they found a loophole that allows the bonus for new hires. Now what I forgot to mention to him is that any new plan that is put in place has to be checked with and secured with the approval of the Union. CRCP has been in place since 2003. Im guessing this program has secured approval.

Is my BA right about the CRCP program? Where could I go to find the details on the arbitration case?

There is a major difference between the two, though. Anyone can get the education assistance, but only new hires get a bonus. Shame on him if he didn't point that out...

WorkingAsDirected

There is a major difference between the two, though. Anyone can get the education assistance, but only new hires get a bonus. Shame on him if he didn't point that out...

He was citing the part of the CRCP program that pays for housing and transportation and considered that to be a bonus. But my point still stands, the Union has to approve of any new implemented plans.

km3

He was citing the part of the CRCP program that pays for housing and transportation and considered that to be a bonus. But my point still stands, the Union has to approve of any new implemented plans.

It's all very messed up. I laughed when they instituted bonuses in my local and still couldn't keep people. Now they brought everyone under $15 up to $15, and they still can't keep people. But at least the new wage applies to everybody. I guess they weren't paying the advertised bonuses even to eligible employees.

cachmeifucan

They also get free bus rides now to bus them from Chicago to Hodgkins il. I think as long as they show ups id so they subsidize the bus company .

cachmeifucan

It's all very messed up. I laughed when they instituted bonuses in my local and still couldn't keep people. Now they brought everyone under $15 up to $15, and they still can't keep people. But at least the new wage applies to everybody. I guess they weren't paying the advertised bonuses even to eligible employees.
What local and are