Fedex plan is to get rid of hourly drivers

PSB1964

The overhaul centers on a merger between its Ground unit, which uses non-employee contractors to move parcels, and its Express division, which hires only staff drivers. FedEx didn’t offer many specifics on the integration plans or implications, aside from telling investors last week that it would use a “hybrid” of the employee and contractor models

With volume expected to migrate to the lower-cost Ground unit, experts predict the company will lean more toward contractors — and potentially do away with staff drivers entirely.
will they go all the way to independent contractor service-providers? Yes, I see that happening,” said Satish Jindel, founder of ShipMatrix, which provides logistical consulting and market data. Their plan is to get rid of hourly fedex couriers Those guys need to UNIONIZE now

dezguy

The overhaul centers on a merger between its Ground unit, which uses non-employee contractors to move parcels, and its Express division, which hires only staff drivers. FedEx didn’t offer many specifics on the integration plans or implications, aside from telling investors last week that it would use a “hybrid” of the employee and contractor models

With volume expected to migrate to the lower-cost Ground unit, experts predict the company will lean more toward contractors — and potentially do away with staff drivers entirely.
will they go all the way to independent contractor service-providers? Yes, I see that happening,” said Satish Jindel, founder of ShipMatrix, which provides logistical consulting and market data. Their plan is to get rid of hourly fedex couriers Those guys need to UNIONIZE now
It's too late to unionize. It would only slow down what is happening, not stop it. The time to unionize was a decade ago.

vantexan

For me personally I rarely use FedEx services anymore. Most everything I buy online is through Amazon. Have had recent Post Office and UPS deliveries too. In the last year maybe two FedEx Ground deliveries. If that's representative of most people's experience then FedEx really has no choice but to minimize the Express side. Not approving of it, hate that it's happening, but the marketplace has changed. To stay viable they have to change too. Of course it would be great if they were a real UPS style operation with union represented employees. But they would fight that tooth and nail. The harsh fact is that this didn't happen overnight. While they've made many promises that if people stayed with them they'd get rewarded, they were planning this all along for over two decades. Ultimately the only things they truly care about are profits and share value. They could see the direction the market was going and planned accordingly to make sure they made money. Frontline employees are there to be used, not rewarded. Not at this company.

Last edited:

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
It's too late to unionize. It would only slow down what is happening, not stop it. The time to unionize was a decade ago.
They had you in the pot of tepid water and slowly raised the heat. Now it’s boiling. I’d still advocate for a walk out. The company is at its most vulnerable now and you probably don’t have much to lose.

Gone fishin

will they go all the way to independent contractor service-providers? Yes, I see that happening,” said Satish Jindel, founder of ShipMatrix, which provides logistical consulting and market data. Their plan is to get rid of hourly fedex couriers Those guys need to UNIONIZE nowI
My only push back is fedex had 22 billion in revenue for the quarter. That’s a lot to put in the hands of ground

AB831

For me personally I rarely use FedEx services anymore. Most everything I buy online is through Amazon. Have had recent Post Office and UPS deliveries too. In the last year maybe two FedEx Ground deliveries. If that's representative of most people's experience then FedEx really has no choice but to minimize the Express side. Not approving of it, hate that it's happening, but the marketplace has changed. To stay viable they have to change too. Of course it would be great if they were a real UPS style operation with union represented employees. But they would fight that tooth and nail. The harsh fact is that this didn't happen overnight. While they've made many promises that if people stayed with them they'd get rewarded, they were planning this all along for over two decades. Ultimately the only things they truly care about are profits and share value. They could see the direction the market was going and planned accordingly to make sure they made money. Frontline employees are there to be used, not rewarded. Not at this company.
After they welched on two step progressions, I could tell I was being sold snake oil. It’s heartbreaking for all the mid-career folks that they swindled

bbsam

Staff member
After they welched on two step progressions, I could tell I was being sold snake oil. It’s heartbreaking for all the mid-career folks that they swindled
Yes and no. Crappy thing for the company to do but everyone saw it coming, even the ones who argued against it. That’s not being swindled. That’s being obtuse.

Thebrownblob

Sadly, the unionization option has probably passed for them. The railway act makes it complicated and when there is a pretty large push to try and organize express, they really didn’t seem all that interested. Most of the express employees felt FedEx was the bees knees and would never screw them.

!Retired!

It was almost impossible to unionize under the RLA. Combining the 2 gives the IBT ammunition to remove that classification, which will make it easier to unionize.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Sadly, the unionization option has probably passed for them. The railway act makes it complicated and when there is a pretty large push to try and organize express, they really didn’t seem all that interested. Most of the express employees felt FedEx was the bees knees and would never screw them.
Strike the bastards. ✊

bacha29

It was almost impossible to unionize under the RLA. Combining the 2 gives the IBT ammunition to remove that classification, which will make it easier to unionize.
Not as easy as you think. They would have to organize the workers of what say 6000 contractors on a contractor by contractor basis. And if there is even a whisper that a contractors driver are going to petition for a vote.....that contract will be cancelled immediately.

bbsam

Staff member
FedEx watched Freight begin to unionize. I don’t think they fear unionization one bit anymore.

Thebrownblob

FedEx watched Freight begin to unionize. I don’t think they fear unionization one bit anymore.
They definitely still fear it, during the organizing campaign, the company spent millions flying in anti-labor, union, busting consultants, as well as giving raises and better insurance that of course they eventually took back after the promises we’re not necessary anymore.