bout to be a P/t air driver need ?s answered if possible

LaUpser

ok i been at ups for about a year n a half gonna be 2yrs in january. since we have need management.they see how hard i work on preload and ask if i would be a air driver i said yea so now i have to get my physical and training is there any other things i need to know if this is a good move to make and how much is the starting pay for a p/t air driver right now i get about 25-26 hr on preload alone i get a lil overtime everyweek. will i get over time pay and air pay if i was to deliver air throughout the 5 day week and on saturday.:smart:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Look on the contract under Article 40. It is listed to the left of this page under UPS NMA 08-13.

Leftinbuilding

Also all air drivers must know how to use punctuation in their communications. Management didn't tell you this? Very important to your success.

Leftinbuilding

ok i been at ups for about a year n a half gonna be 2yrs in january. since we have need management.they see how hard i work on preload and ask if i would be a air driver i said yea so now i have to get my physical and training is there any other things i need to know if this is a good move to make and how much is the starting pay for a p/t air driver right now i get about 25-26 hr on preload alone i get a lil overtime everyweek. will i get over time pay and air pay if i was to deliver air throughout the 5 day week and on saturday.:smart:

In a nutshell? Yes.

cino321

Honestly I see some of these new guys with GPS, and I laugh. They'll never learn anything. Learn the hard way, everyone for the last oh I don't know, hundred years or so has, I'm sure they could too.

Now onto air driving, it's a great way to learn about the job on a much smaller scale. Really no pressure, get the feel of driving a package car, nature of the customers, how to operate the diad board. I wouldn't do it for the money, I'd do it for the experience if anything. If you don't aspire to drive one day, than you are wasting your time. Just my two cents.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My GPS reply was indeed sarcastic for the very reasons Cino stated.

Air driving is the perfect way to progress in to cover and then friend/T driving as you get to practice with the DIAD, interact with customers, and face most of the delivery situations that you will see if you choose to make this your career without the hectic pace. I would try to combine that with delivering Saturday air as that is even more laid back and would expand your delivery area knowledge as you may be asked to deliver a larger area than you do during the week.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
To be a good airdriver you will need the following; a good paper map ( not one covered in plastic ), a yellow highlighter, several pens ( they always go dry when you need them most ) a notebook ( to record all your stops ), and if you can find it a street directory guide ( in some cities this will help you find where certain streets intersect by house numbers ).
Now after getting your Saturday assignment; go thru the load, write down all the stops ( and always keep this record handy , so that you can cross off each stop as it is done ), look up on your map where each stop is, use the highlighter to mark each stop ( don't worry over time the marks fade ), Do your EAM first, { Early AM by 9am }, plot out your route ( keep in mind that it changes because we all make mistakes ) , go do it and return safely.

The best way to become a good air driver is having a sup. who understands that the only way some can learn an area is to get lost.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Baba, I am from RI/Mass originally and have got to think that delivering in Boston has got to be a PITA, with all of its one-way streets and no parking signs. My son and I spent a week there and were staying at the Midtown and I parked on the street to check-in and had a $25 "souvenir" from the city within 5 minutes, which I paid online.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Baba, I am from RI/Mass originally and have got to think that delivering in Boston has got to be a PITA, with all of its one-way streets and no parking signs. My son and I spent a week there and were staying at the Midtown and I parked on the street to check-in and had a $25 "souvenir" from the city within 5 minutes, which I paid online.

Boston is fairly easy compared to Providence IMO. If you are from RI you probably know what I mean by that. although I have never delivered in either, I think PVD esp downtown is just redictulous with parking and one ways plus dead ends and can only imagine what a nightmare it would be in a brownie with little experience. Both would be rough, downtown wise, but I'd take Boston over PVD. At least the streets are E-W N-S(boylston, comm, arlington, tremont :D

Baba Gounj knows Boston as well as anyone I know, I wonder which he'd prefer?

RozUPS

To be a good airdriver you will need the following; a good paper map ( not one covered in plastic ), a yellow highlighter, several pens ( they always go dry when you need them most ) a notebook ( to record all your stops ), and if you can find it a street directory guide ( in some cities this will help you find where certain streets intersect by house numbers ).
Now after getting your Saturday assignment; go thru the load, write down all the stops ( and always keep this record handy , so that you can cross off each stop as it is done ), look up on your map where each stop is, use the highlighter to mark each stop ( don't worry over time the marks fade ), Do your EAM first, { Early AM by 9am }, plot out your route ( keep in mind that it changes because we all make mistakes ) , go do it and return safely.

The best way to become a good air driver is having a sup. who understands that the only way some can learn an area is to get lost.

Why not a covered map? I use one every Saturday? I mark my stops using dry erase marker. The next week I use a paper towel and erase it leaving a clean slate to mark this weeks stops and so on..