Boycott the 2008 Beijing Olympics?

av8torntn

Seriously that is how you define little opportunity here? Wow pretty sad. I never really understood how a democrat got someone to vote for them untill I read that.:happy2:

traveler

Where next? Venice
Traveler, first off I was quoting Big A who mentioned "no middle class" and "little opportunity" in China, and only excentuating the point here in the states at the direction our economy is heading with Republican leadership as comparing to China's.

Secondly, how many quality union and non-union jobs have left America comparable to my full time job at UPS with good wages, health and pension benefits. Are you denying this trend of QUALITY jobs has declined since the Reagon days and expedited within the last 8 years.(and yes admittingly Clinton's NAFTA didn't help either).

Thirdly, the unemployment rate is not a measure of the percentage of people that do not have a job. It is a measure of the percentage of the labor force that doesn’t have a job but are actively looking for work. So, if the unemployment rate is quoted as 5 percent, it does not mean that 95 out of every 100 people are working. It could mean, for example, that out of every 100 people, 60 are working, 35 are not working and don't want to be working, and 5 are not working but are actively looking for employment. That’s the key; someone must be actively looking for work to be listed as unemployed in the index.
Is the unemployment rate accurate? The unemployment rate cannot be completely accurate and there are plenty of reasons for that.

Well, I agree that many manufacturing and other jobs are going overseas. That trend will not be stopped by the Dems. no matter what they tell you. The only way to stop or reverse theat trend is either to nationalize industries and force items to be made here, or to put onerous tariffs on imports. Neither is a workable plan. Like it or not, there is now a "global economy". The jobs and where they are done will never again be held within any country short of isolationist countries like North Korea. A glance at their situation will tell you how well that is working for them and their people. We still have plenty of work here in the states it is just different that 20 to 30 years ago. Times change... everyone needs to get used to it and shape their lives with the new rules in place.

I do agree that "discouraged unemployed" are not counted in the unemployment rate. Do you really think that there are many people have "given up" on finding a job in this economy? I don't believe that is at all true. That phenomenon generally takes place when unemployment is high and there are few jobs available. At 5% unemployment virtually anyone who wants a job has one. Considering that Bill Clinton changed the rules for welfare by putting time limits on those who would rather be on the dole than work that 5% is quite impressive to me. Sure, there are many people not working and not looking for work... all us retired folk, including me are not in the unemployment figure nor should we be counted there.

Now to your statement which you seem to no longer take credit,

"Why would they come here if another Republican gets re-elected. You said it, no middle class, the elite rule and opportunity is little to better themselves. They might as well stay in China if Bush III (McClain gets elected)."

I repeat that is a silly statement. Paraphrased from another post, perhaps but it is still your statement. There is a Republican President balanced by a Democrat Congress. If there is blame to be doled out, any thinking person must realize that you cannot point to one person an lay all the blame.

Overpaid Union Thug

In this country one dictates what class he/she is in. Blaming one's financial status on a president is quite pathetic and unfortunately a sign of the times. I eat at 3 or 4 different Chinese buffets and the employees I talk to there have told me that there is no way they could have pulled themselves out of poverty China. They love it here. Oh...and guess who was president during all of their climbing up from poverty into the middle and upper class? That's right.....Bush. I'm not a huge Bush fan but I'll defend from the likes of Liberals any day.