Breaking out routes

brownman15

That is the way it is in our contract. But is not the way it is working out. They broke out our 2nd most senior drivers rte today. Split it between 3 different rtes. There was no 50% to follow. She ended up going home.

she should of had the choice of doing one of the 3 routes her work went to since it was more than a two way split.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
she should of had the choice of doing one of the 3 routes her work went to since it was more than a two way split.
I would have thought so as well. They (MGT) are getting really bad around here. They don't give a damm how they violate the contract. I'm sure the driver will have grievance in hand this morning on Art 37 at the very least.

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
I hear ya! This post is 2 years old and i was hoping to see if others had good language so i could check it out. Was really hoping to add some language in this last contract. But it didnt work out. Next contract!

we need to strengthen article 40. that will force UPS not to try to use air drivers for ground work. but as long as hoffa is in office i dont see that happening. in fact i see the opposite

upsset

you have an 8 hr guarantee. Don't go home, don't solicit another driver to go home, just tell your sup that you are here to work and it's his responsibility to provide you with 8 hrs or pay you for 8 hrs report pay.

tourists24

you have an 8 hr guarantee. Don't go home, don't solicit another driver to go home, just tell your sup that you are here to work and it's his responsibility to provide you with 8 hrs or pay you for 8 hrs report pay.
Or if you really want to throw a monkey wrench into things, have a higher senior person say they want to go home instead. They cant just let anyone go home; they should be offering by seniority order.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Or if you really want to throw a monkey wrench into things, have a higher senior person say they want to go home instead. They cant just let anyone go home; they should be offering by seniority order.
That's how it works in the AA, because we have specific language governing "voluntary time off". Not all supplements have that language, unfortunately.

tourists24

That's how it works in the AA, because we have specific language governing "voluntary time off". Not all supplements have that language, unfortunately.
You're right. I really should ALWAYS put what supplement I fall under when talking contract language. Sometimes I remember, sometimes not. Good point Jones

705red

Browncafe Steward
we need to strengthen article 40. that will force UPS not to try to use air drivers for ground work. but as long as hoffa is in office i dont see that happening. in fact i see the opposite
Thelus, we have stronger language in 705. Look in the back of the contract for the letter of understanding on air drivers doing ground work.

helenofcalifornia

Say Driver A is bumped off his route (by Driver B who's route has mysteriously collapsed "for good"), and then takes a route of a lesser seniority driver out of his loop. The original route of Driver A suddenly opens up again as Driver B gets his original route back. (Follow this?)

So does Driver A get his route back or does it have to go through a bid procedure?

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Say Driver A is bumped off his route (by Driver B who's route has mysteriously collapsed "for good"), and then takes a route of a lesser seniority driver out of his loop. The original route of Driver A suddenly opens up again as Driver B gets his original route back. (Follow this?)

So does Driver A get his route back or does it have to go through a bid procedure?

Helen, after giving this a lot of careful thought, I have come to the conclusion that this definitely might, didn't, or could have possibly happened. But then again, who knows? Not me obviously. :peaceful:

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
Thelus, we have stronger language in 705. Look in the back of the contract for the letter of understanding on air drivers doing ground work.
oh i know still doesnt work though. you and i know the company retaliates against air drivers greaving gounds. couple of ways they do it is 1. mysteriously push back your start time an hour and give you less hours in the air drivers rate. 2. send you phatom on call's all night to places that dont have pick ups or do not exist. 3 and i love this one mysteriously all of your letter boxes are filled with ground the next day after greaving.
:angry-very2:

705red

Browncafe Steward
oh i know still doesnt work though. you and i know the company retaliates against air drivers greaving gounds. couple of ways they do it is 1. mysteriously push back your start time an hour and give you less hours in the air drivers rate. 2. send you phatom on call's all night to places that dont have pick ups or do not exist. 3 and i love this one mysteriously all of your letter boxes are filled with ground the next day after greaving.
:angry-very2:
And you should continue to file for grounds being placed in the letter box's. We have not giving that away like the national did. Our full time jobs are important to us and the members and will not be done by part timers at a lower wage.

GUTHREE

Mrs. Smooth
ugh, my new car i just bid on was busted all last week. i did run my old route because the driver was on vacation . that was great, and they don't say anything to me about anything. maybe, this just might work out after all. dispatchers usually ask me on a daily basis, (when my car is busted) what i wanna run. i just don't want them to treat me like a young rookie, swing driver and throw me on some old friend---- up route.......

InTheRed

What is the proper procedure for breaking out a route? When you bid a route you bid on the 1a,1b,1c,1d with the understanding that the route with the highest letter should be the baseline. Recently it seems that the dispatch team will bust out the easiest route that day. In effect penalizing a senior driver by making him a cover driver for the day or lose a day of pay.

I think what you see about taking out the 'easiest' route is because, well, it's easier. The most senior driver usually has the easiest dispatch because he/she is older and usually has less work, so it is less stops to break apart and spread around. The other alternative is to break out a route with more stops and spread it around and then basically re-dispatch an entire loop. Then, the A driver would need to take the most work to even out the dispatch. I've seen this happen before (the A route stays in, the D, E, or X route comes out) and usually the most senior guy (A route) will take the day, because his/her dispatch will greatly inflate.

All-in-all, the same amount of stops will be in the loop. It's going to get done one way or another, right?

In your situation, does the most senior driver wish to work? Would the most senior driver stay with 40 stops from a neighboring route? Would that driver be able to get the job done? Would another driver be able to get that same job done?

QKRSTKR

Here they usually pull rtes with no or low pick ups. I guess why are senior guys bidding on rtes with no p/u. I totally understands reds initial post. Those rules are long gone. The rtes I've had, have 25-30 pick ups a day. No way they are gonna pull a rte with that many p/u stops.