Breaking senior drivers

SP101

I am a delivery driver with nearly 30 years of service and wonder everyday how I am going to make it to the finish line. I worked with guys that stole time from this company for years and it was wrong. Todays technology eliminates that and that’s a good thing. However, when I learned my route years ago I averaged around 115 stops a day. I did the job and got off the clock. Now it’s more like 145 a day. These 30, 40, even 50 more stops a day are brutal on someone that has nearly 30 years of service and wear and tear on their body. I am at the point where I regret staying here and would not recommend this job to anyone. I could have been a lot healthier and happier making less money somewhere else.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I am a delivery driver with nearly 30 years of service and wonder everyday how I am going to make it to the finish line. I worked with guys that stole time from this company for years and it was wrong. Todays technology eliminates that and that’s a good thing. However, when I learned my route years ago I averaged around 115 stops a day. I did the job and got off the clock. Now it’s more like 145 a day. These 30, 40, even 50 more stops a day are brutal on someone that has nearly 30 years of service and wear and tear on their body. I am at the point where I regret staying here and would not recommend this job to anyone. I could have been a lot healthier and happier making less money somewhere else.
A little late for second thoughts. You’re almost at the finish line now. Hang in there.

Est.1998

I am a delivery driver with nearly 30 years of service and wonder everyday how I am going to make it to the finish line.
what's keeping you from retiring?
These 30, 40, even 50 more stops a day are brutal on someone that has nearly 30 years of service and wear and tear on their body.
unless you're a runner, dispatch putting 30-50 stops on a senior driver means, hey we need you to hold these until the young runner beside you is done. he'll give you a call around 5pm to meet you.
I am at the point where I regret staying here and would not recommend this job to anyone. I could have been a lot healthier and happier making less money somewhere else.
Healthier and happier making less money as in working at Subway or Chick fil A?
how many miles you drive each day?
do you have apartments, beauty stores, resis that require you to walk off your stops?

SP101

why don't you just hang it up then? where is this finish line you speak of if not at 30 frickin years?
I started young and have to work 8 more years to get my full pension. My knees and hips ache like hell now.
Slow down
I slowed down years ago. When the company was cutting routes like crazy after the financial crisis in 2008 and killing us. That’s when I had my epiphany and finally asked myself “why am I doing this.” Why am I running, driving like a fool and taking my lunch at the building. Nope, it ended that day.

Thebrownblob

I started young and have to work 8 more years to get my full pension. My knees and hips ache like hell now.

I slowed down years ago. When the company was cutting routes like crazy after the financial crisis in 2008 and killing us. That’s when I had my epiphany and finally asked myself “why am I doing this.” Why am I running, driving like a fool and taking my lunch at the building. Nope, it ended that day.
Just hanging in there Brother, just become their biggest pain in the ass. Make your last eight great.

Thebrownblob

I never go out the driver side door.
Man I agree with you on that one, unfortunately we had a driver who had a ride along with a member of management who instructed him to use the driver side door, he refused and was taken out of service. We went to the panel and it was upheld, he was given a suspension for all time served and told to use the driver side door with three points of contact. SMH terrible decision IMO.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
If you work 5 days a month, the Health & Welfare and Pension contribution is made for the next month.At least it is with our agreement.
If you can't physically take it, work 1 or 2 days a week. Call off.
They won't like it. But, you are "doing the best you can."
Who folds first?
They will have to to make adjustments for you. Make them get used to you. Not you killing yourself.

Man I agree with you on that one, unfortunately we had a driver who had a ride along with a member of management who instructed him to use the driver side door, he refused and was taken out of service. We went to the panel and it was upheld, he was given a suspension for all time served and told to use the driver side door with three points of contact. SMH terrible decision IMO.
There are barely any steps on the driver side door. There's no way you can get a good footing. I set my packages out on the floor exit the cab door and then pick up my packages and deliver them

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
That’s not only stupid it’s dangerous.

Thebrownblob

There are barely any steps on the driver side door. There's no way you can get a good footing. I set my packages out on the floor exit the cab door and then pick up my packages and deliver them
I totally agree with you and this was a big guy in an old 800 with the small steps, and it was raining I told the driver I would’ve just fallen out of the truck and hit my head and made that Supervisor call an ambulance.