Bring on the oversized...

fedex_rtd

Not a problem for AGFS drivers, almost all we handle are the heavy 151+ lb or oversized stuff.

So far the heaviest single "package" I've done was just over 2500lb.

It will be fine

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
We're turning into a furniture delivery company. Just today, I had a particularly heavy TV stand. Scanned it and left it in the truck until I rang the bell. Seemed like no one was gonna answer and I wasn't gonna haul it out myself and leave it on this busy street doorstep. Had the door tag in my hand when dude answered the door. We hauled it in together. That's my new policy. You help me or, you get a door tag.

dezguy

We're turning into a furniture delivery company. Just today, I had a particularly heavy TV stand. Scanned it and left it in the truck until I rang the bell. Seemed like no one was gonna answer and I wasn't gonna haul it out myself and leave it on this busy street doorstep. Had the door tag in my hand when dude answered the door. We hauled it in together. That's my new policy. You help me or, you get a door tag.
I had a bed the other day. Did the same thing; Left it in the truck and knocked. No one answered so I wrote the weight on the DK, and checked please be home for delivery on the DK. Next day, I get a note from one of the CSR's saying if they aren't home just to leave it. Left a note for the CSR when I last attempted it because they weren't home that we aren't allowed to lift anything over 75lbs unassisted.

Sorry, I'm not a donkey.

dezguy

The unassisted part does not involve the homeowner.
Sure it does. If they want their package, they'll be helping take it off the truck. Otherwise, they can drive to the station and the CSR who thinks we can unload packages over 75lbs by ourselves can help them put it in their vehicle.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sure it does. If they want their package, they'll be helping take it off the truck. Otherwise, they can drive to the station and the CSR who thinks we can unload packages over 75lbs by ourselves can help them put it in their vehicle.

...and if they get hurt while helping...?

dezguy

...and if they get hurt while helping...?
Not my problem, that's the company's problem.

Once again, you're here thinking UPS regulations apply word for word with FedEx's. Never once, at any station I've worked at has management said to call another route to get help. As a matter of fact, I have had a couple managers specifically tell me and others to have the homeowner help get if off the truck. I can clearly remember sitting in a managers office while he was defending a fellow courier for not offloading an overweight by himself and that if the homeowner wanted the pkg, they would have to help get it off the truck.

I know you think you know everything about everything but fact is, you don't know what it is like to work here and you don't know what management tells us. So do yourself a favour and stop making a fool of yourself, acting like you do.

Once again, you're here thinking UPS regulations apply word for word with FedEx's. Never once, at any station I've worked at has management said to call another route to get help. As a matter of fact, I have had a couple managers specifically tell me and others to have the homeowner help get if off the truck. I can clearly remember sitting in a managers office while he was defending a fellow courier for not offloading an overweight by himself and that if the homeowner wanted the pkg, they would have to help get it off the truck.

I know you think you know everything about everything but fact is, you don't know what it is like to work here and you don't know what management tells us. So do yourself a favour and stop making a fool of yourself, acting like you do.
He knows more about your job than you do. Didn't you know that?

It will be fine

I tell my guys get help from the recipient. If they can't, then just push it off the back of the truck. I'll take complaints over injuries any day. They should never try to lug that crap upstairs or even handle it much by themselves.

fedex_rtd

I had a bed the other day. Did the same thing; Left it in the truck and knocked. No one answered so I wrote the weight on the DK, and checked please be home for delivery on the DK. Next day, I get a note from one of the CSR's saying if they aren't home just to leave it. Left a note for the CSR when I last attempted it because they weren't home that we aren't allowed to lift anything over 75lbs unassisted.

Sorry, I'm not a donkey.

That's why they give the big boys trucks with lift gates, pallet jacks.

!Retired!

Sorry, I'm not a donkey.
Actually, you CAN lift packages over 75, you just don't HAVE to. We had a courier in NY that picked up a package ~85 lbs (I don't remember the exact weight). He had just come back from hernia surgery a few days earlier. He refused to lift it into his truck by himself (I don't blame him). I was on the pickup route next to him and they asked me to go over and help him.

dezguy

Actually, you CAN lift packages over 75, you just don't HAVE to. We had a courier in NY that picked up a package ~85 lbs (I don't remember the exact weight). He had just come back from hernia surgery a few days earlier. He refused to lift it into his truck by himself (I don't blame him). I was on the pickup route next to him and they asked me to go over and help him.
Here, if you lift over FedEx's weight limit for one person and hurt yourself, not only can you face discipline by FedEx but you can also have workers comp denied and be in trouble with the ministry of labour.

Technically, you can do whatever you want, you just have to be willing to deal with the consequences.

bacha29

Truck bumpers, back hoe buckets, cement mixers etc. What did I get out fo it? Last week my primary care physician handed me the report back from the MRI. " Severe bilateral rheumatoid arthritis". The only solution? Both hip joints have to be replaced. What is clear and I'm sure you guys know this. The reason you're getting that stuff is that UPS won't take it because they have to send a guy along to help. I loved the boxes that said "Team Lift". You are the team. A one man team. Earlier this year they guy who worked on my trucks and he's been at it for 40 years said to me. " You're king pins are shot both rear springs are broke and your center pin is broke Sooner our later you're going to have to go to CDL full air brake equipment" Given the way they are out there stealing freight from the LTL's making you guys a package- freight hybrid, CDL straight trucks seem to be the only solution. But there again I'm supposed to be crazy remember.

gixxer squid

Boy I couldn't agree more. I had to drive all last week and I think I had on my busiest day 220 packages but it was loaded to the hilt. HD has been flexing more stuff to ground. I had the truck loaded to the roof and couldn't walk down the center isle till half the route done and the beginning stops are at the front, trying to roll these over size boxes through the side door with the jump seat in the way.... All for my .17 cents a box, thanks ISP. Nice to know the FDX is increasing there rates for oversize this January with nothing going to us....

I had a stop a while back that was a chinese particle board POS delivered to 3rd floor, I finally get up there and made the mistake of not scanning first and Sig required, no one home. Nice how I wasted 15 minutes of my time for NOTHING!!!!!!

TeamLift

That's right, they ordered it, they are responsible for it, sometimes in HD we get complaints from customers whose house is on stilts that we didn't bring the package all the way to the top, sorry, not carrying a 70lb package up 35 steps, you either help or its on the bottom waiting for you.