Bring on the oversized...

Bounty

I tell my guys get help from the recipient. If they can't, then just push it off the back of the truck. I'll take complaints over injuries any day. They should never try to lug that crap upstairs or even handle it much by themselves.
Do you believe your own bs, no one else does

It will be fine

I'm not confused. I just don't believe a word you say. You don't tell your employees that.
I do it often. It's a common safety topic. It's called loss prevention, you train your employees not to risk injury to service one customer. You're saying you understand the financial incentive to train my drivers like that but don't believe I do it? No surprise you never expanded past a single route, this is pretty basic stuff.

worldwide

And give us a nickel per package raise. This is becoming a problem and the projected increases in oversized packages doesn't look very fun. I sent out a bulked out sprinter with 50 stops on it today. Ridiculous.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ivery-headache-from-trampoline-you-got-online

Ask for more than a nickel from FedEx as they are asking a lot more from their customers.

"Besides the rate increases, FedEx will also hike the costs of a broad range of "accessorial" charges, fees for services beyond the basic pick-up and delivery services. For example, effective this Nov. 2 FedEx Ground will impose a $110 special fee on "unauthorized" shipments, which are packages whose dimensions or combined dimensions and weight are beyond the unit's maximum handling capabilities and would be transported at its discretion. The fee is in addition to the rate charged to move the shipment, according to Shipware data.

FedEx will also boost its surcharge for "oversize" shipments—packages that weigh less than 150 pounds but exceed 108 inches in length or 130 inches in combined length and girth—to $67.50 per shipment from $57.50, Shipware said. The increase, which is on top of the shipping rate, takes effect Jan. 4."

http://www.dcvelocity.com/articles/...-if-youre-a-fedex-customer-in-2016-data-show/

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
Ask for more than a nickel from FedEx as they are asking a lot more from their customers.

"Besides the rate increases, FedEx will also hike the costs of a broad range of "accessorial" charges, fees for services beyond the basic pick-up and delivery services. For example, effective this Nov. 2 FedEx Ground will impose a $110 special fee on "unauthorized" shipments, which are packages whose dimensions or combined dimensions and weight are beyond the unit's maximum handling capabilities and would be transported at its discretion. The fee is in addition to the rate charged to move the shipment, according to Shipware data.

FedEx will also boost its surcharge for "oversize" shipments—packages that weigh less than 150 pounds but exceed 108 inches in length or 130 inches in combined length and girth—to $67.50 per shipment from $57.50, Shipware said. The increase, which is on top of the shipping rate, takes effect Jan. 4."

http://www.dcvelocity.com/articles/...-if-youre-a-fedex-customer-in-2016-data-show/
Good read, thanks.

Bounty

I do it often. It's a common safety topic. It's called loss prevention, you train your employees not to risk injury to service one customer. You're saying you understand the financial incentive to train my drivers like that but don't believe I do it? No surprise you never expanded past a single route, this is pretty basic stuff.
If x puts it on your truck you tell your employees to deliver it.

bacha29

Thanks Worldwide. I like the part regarding shipping an oversize piece of freight saying that it will ship it at it's descretion. Yeah right. The first time a conractor/driver refuses to try to load one of those "boulder in a box" pieces you know damn well he will be ripped into by management the very next morning

It will be fine

Thanks Worldwide. I like the part regarding shipping an oversize piece of freight saying that it will ship it at it's descretion. Yeah right. The first time a conractor/driver refuses to try to load one of those "boulder in a box" pieces you know damn well he will be ripped into by management the very next morning
Happens pretty often in the heavy industrial areas. I never hear a peep when we refuse to take overweight shipments. They'll try to convince us, but we laugh it off saying it's obviously not safe to handle a 200lb crate in a step van. Sometimes they'll send it out in a tractor, often it just goes back to the shipper.

bacha29

True but when it arrives at the terminal you are told to take.Like one former TM told me when I objected to taking an oversized and over weight piece........... "Just go along with it so I can get the friend%?)k out of here.

Bounty

Happens pretty often in the heavy industrial areas. I never hear a peep when we refuse to take overweight shipments. They'll try to convince us, but we laugh it off saying it's obviously not safe to handle a 200lb crate in a step van. Sometimes they'll send it out in a tractor, often it just goes back to the shipper.
Lies

bbsam

Staff member
Not so.

bacha29

One of the things that began to occur at our terminal was stuff coming in on pallets. What did they have us do? Evertbody get grab a corner and grunt it onto the back of the truck and their rate structure simply means more of it, After all it's not their springs and shackles getting broken or their people injured. They will continue to exploit those advantages until there is an organized move to stop it.

bbsam

Staff member
True but when it arrives at the terminal you are told to take.Like one former TM told me when I objected to taking an oversized and over weight piece........... "Just go along with it so I can get the friend%?)k out of here.
I tell them it can sit on the dock for six days. Supposedly there is an "improper shipping report" they are required to fI'll out and send back to the shipper. How can they do that if it's on my truck?

CJinx

I tell them it can sit on the dock for six days. Supposedly there is an "improper shipping report" they are required to fI'll out and send back to the shipper. How can they do that if it's on my truck?
OPR-117 in eforms.