Brother Bullying “on topic”

WTFm8

Full time now for years. Unfortunately, never attended a meeting. I work two jobs which take up my Saturday and Sundays but if you could maybe just let me know what your advise is it would be much more helpful than pointing out how naive I am.

Bumping using seniority bumps the lowest seniority person in the area, not just someone by choice.

If you’re the lowest person working that job, you get bumped.

If you’re not, call the steward and supervisor out on it and file Art 37 for harassment.

SmNbnOvr

Caraca
What's your current job classification? Are you covering a ft job? If you're full time and "covering" a ft job that's been in existence for 30 days in a 90 day period why isnt the job being bid and why are you just "covering" it?
22.3 This new sorting machine was put into use around July of last year. They moved all of the old small sort people to the new without any bidding. All these jobs in the new automated small sort are in existence for the first time at our hub(we were the second hub in the country to get one with many more coming)and we were all assigned to different places. Again without any bidding involved. I’ve been in my position since the first day the new machine was used. The steward trying to bump me was used as a back-up during peak and now ,7 months later, has decided he likes my spot better than his. That’s the rundown.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Bumping using seniority bumps the lowest seniority person in the area, not just someone by choice.

If you’re the lowest person working that job, you get bumped.

If you’re not, call the steward and supervisor out on it and file Art 37 for harassment.
File harassment against your own teamster brother... ummm no, I do t care how scumbag they are I would get the BA involved off the record with myself and the scumbag...

22.3 This new sorting machine was put into use around July of last year. They moved all of the old small sort people to the new without any bidding. All these jobs in the new automated small sort are in existence for the first time at our hub(we were the second hub in the country to get one with many more coming)and we were all assigned to different places. Again without any bidding involved. I’ve been in my position since the first day the new machine was used. The steward trying to bump me was used as a back-up during peak and now ,7 months later, has decided he likes my spot better than his. That’s the rundown.
The way I see it is if the job changed in anyway, it has to go up for bid. It sucks for you but that’s what seniority is.

BrownRecycler

Seniority is like pecking order.

If you are new, you have to be prepare to be rock.

And, if they are on the same team as you, you have to go. You don't have seniority right.

F

Frankie's Friend

The job should have been bid a long time ago.

WTFm8

File harassment against your own teamster brother... ummm no, I do t care how scumbag they are I would get the BA involved off the record with myself and the scumbag...

No, you file on the supervisor because they shouldn’t even be approaching you if you’re not the lowest.

It’s in our union constitution not to cause disipline/harm on other members.

SmNbnOvr

Caraca
The job should have been bid a long time ago.
I agree. Never was though. They went back and forth for months before the start of the new system. Bid or no bid. My understanding is that UPS and the union mutually agreed on not having a bid. Because of this, I don’t think there is a way for me to be bumped. I was assigned this job by the night manager. I never requested it. I was told this is where I was to go. At the time, I didn’t even know what it was. As I’ve said before, if a grievance was filed at the start of this, I would easily comply and understand. That’s usually the way things work around here and I get it. This situation is unprecedented. It’s a situation that I think will come up again and again with this new system being implemented across the country.

SmNbnOvr

Caraca
That's not how things work here....
:-)
That’s funny from a “staff member”. I thought “on topic” meant only useful info. Maybe I’m wrong because I’m kind of new. The dude you’re defending clearly had other intentions. Basically said,”If you’ve been in the company for so long,how don’t you know what do do?” His intent was to belittle me instead of helping me which,I thought, was the whole purpose of this website. Maybe he had nothing to offer and that’s fine but next time I think it would be best just to not respond. That would seems like a “staff member’s” job to interpret. Keep fighting the good fight “staff member’. LOL

F

Frankie's Friend

I agree. Never was though. They went back and forth for months before the start of the new system. Bid or no bid. My understanding is that UPS and the union mutually agreed on not having a bid. Because of this, I don’t think there is a way for me to be bumped. I was assigned this job by the night manager. I never requested it. I was told this is where I was to go. At the time, I didn’t even know what it was. As I’ve said before, if a grievance was filed at the start of this, I would easily comply and understand. That’s usually the way things work around here and I get it. This situation is unprecedented. It’s a situation that I think will come up again and again with this new system being implemented across the country.
Then if they post the job for bid any other job like that one should be bid too.
Bid them all. If it's 22.3 it should be bid.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Then if they post the job for bid any other job like that one should be bid too.
Bid them all. If it's 22.3 it should be bid.
I’m still amazed that he has been full time for damn near 20 years and he hasn’t been to one union meeting... smfh, that’s pathetic!!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I doubt this situation is “unprecedented”....I’m sure it’s come up many times before in regards to getting bumped off of a job that you never bid on but should have been bid and now a senior employee (shop steward or not) wants to bump you ( a jr. Employee)....sounds like you don’t want to loose your “cake” small sort gig.... people have already said that you could very possibly loose your spot so now you need to think about what job you have enough seniority to bump into and move on....and maybe go to a union meeting or two....???

F

Frankie's Friend

18 years. He’s currently letting the sup send him home each time I am “in his spot” but is threatening him that next time he will confront me face to face and tell me that he is bumping me.
So why isnt the other hourly employee telling the supe (to his face) that he's bumping you? The statement that he is bumping you and going to do that by telling you to your face is why he's "bullying" you?
Looks like there's a problem between the union and the management and if they made the decision not to bid (permanent) jobs this could be a daily problem.
Call your BA and ask him/her what's going on with this situation. I dont know what local rider or supplement governs your situation but using "squatters rughts" as a defense to keep your "non-bid job" is imo creative.

Heffalump

To my knowledge..everything is off the table during peak. Now the steward could have been trying to get the position but due to upcoming peak it was held off. Peaks over, he wants his spot.

over9five

Staff member
That’s funny from a “staff member”. ….
It was supposed to be funny (see the cute little smiley face?).
You seem to have an issue with believing people are bullying you, when in fact they're not. The steward was doing you a solid by letting you know he is going to bump you. That gives you time to find a position you can bump into. You shouldn't have such thin skin if you've really been with UPS 20 years.
How could you possibly believe YOUR job is immune from bumping? So you get bumped, who cares? You'll still have a job doing something.
Also, I find it kind of lame that you've never been to a union meeting in 20 years. Maybe if you had, you'd understand that seniority is how we pick jobs at UPS. The company can't just install their little favorites into preferred jobs. Why don't you start going to meetings by attending the next one.
Good luck, hope it all works out for you.

Last edited:
F

Frankie's Friend

To my knowledge..everything is off the table during peak. Now the steward could have been trying to get the position but due to upcoming peak it was held off. Peaks over, he wants his spot.
I believe he posted he had done that job for 7 months. After 30 days it should've been bid if he worked it 30 straight (which he alluded to) and it could've still been bid in October if it took 90 days.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Anyone have any insights on this? I work in one of the new automated small sorts as a tender. I was put there by my sort manager 7 months ago with no complaints from other employees that have seniority above me. Now suddenly I have a shop steward who has 5 years on me trying to bump me out. Can he do this?
if the guy was trained to do the same job then yes he can bump you. Normally the guy with the most seniority gets the postion but that's after they put a bid up for it.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Why, is “everything off the table during peak”

Have never seen that article in the contract

Staydryitsraining

Tender is a specific job. Just like small sort, just like irregs just like a pick. All easy jobs go to people with most seniority, it's kind of common sense. You have nothing to file if he has more seniority.