Brother Bullying “on topic”

SmNbnOvr

Caraca
Tender is a specific job. Just like small sort, just like irregs just like a pick. All easy jobs go to people with most seniority, it's kind of common sense. You have nothing to file if he has more seniority.
I hear you and that does make sense but,for one reason of another, it hasn’t worked that way ever in my hub. There are a half a dozen full-time guys and many more part-time that have been fighting to get small sort for years with no luck. There are even a few full time guys in my small sort now that have more seniority than the steward trying to get my spot that management won’t put as tenders for fear of “slowing the operation”. If management made the new small sort a bid job it would have caused them problems with production so they made sure it wasn’t and with union approval. I aggree that it should have been posted but it wasn’t. So now I’m supposed to just walk away from the spot I’ve had from the beginning when UPS and the union agreed that seniority wouldn’t be honored in the first place?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I hear you and that does make sense but,for one reason of another, it hasn’t worked that way ever in my hub. There are a half a dozen full-time guys and many more part-time that have been fighting to get small sort for years with no luck. There are even a few full time guys in my small sort now that have more seniority than the steward trying to get my spot that management won’t put as tenders for fear of “slowing the operation”. If management made the new small sort a bid job it would have caused them problems with production so they made sure it wasn’t and with union approval. I aggree that it should have been posted but it wasn’t. So now I’m supposed to just walk away from the spot I’ve had from the beginning when UPS and the union agreed that seniority wouldn’t be honored in the first place?

The Steward cannot bump you off your job, or force a Sup to put him on it, but since it is not a bid job, and you were just assigned to that job, a Sup can put someone else on that job and move you.

It doesn't matter how long you were on it, you never bid it.

It's up to the Sup who does that job, at least until it is bid.

We'll save that discussion for another thread so that we stay "on topic."

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The Steward cannot bump you off your job, or force a Sup to put him on it, but since it is not a bid job, and you were just assigned to that job, a Sup can put someone else on that job and move you.

It doesn't matter how long you were on it, you never bid it.

It's up to the Sup who does that job, at least until it is bid.

We'll save that discussion for another thread so that we stay "on topic."
What thread are you reading (between the lines)???

It already happened, I guarantee it...

SameRightsForAll

So what is he doing to bully you??? Usually small sort is a preferred job and they do put new people into that position then move them out to load/unload later on....

You seem to be having trouble believing this individual without him having to actually spell out the play-by-play for you. When someone feels bullied it's probably because it's not the first time it's happened and there is actually bullying taking place, even if it's not the type of bullying you're thinking of which might be pushing somebody physically. Bullying has many forms. If a supervisor or other worker has a pattern of intimidating you or treating you as if you're not favored, this is bullying as well. So just because he might be slightly confused about how seniority works doesn't mean he's not being bullied at the same time. "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not actually after you". :)

rod

Retired 22 years
Got plenty of ammo in the strike bunker that won’t be used until 2023....

I doubt you will ever see another strike at UPS. Too many pansies there now. If they couldn't get a strike going that last contract ( the timing , the economy and the crappy first offer should have made it a givin), there isn't much hope for next time.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I'm saying that "it already happened"....and the OP is trying get someone to explain why it can't be true.

I had some caffeine, so I'll try again.

To the OP.

The Steward did not bump you off your job.

The Steward did not, and cannot, force management to put him on your job, or I should say, the job that you were doing.

The Steward can, and did, ask management to let him do your job since he has more seniority and it is not a bid job.

Why he changed his mind and didn't want to do it before, and wants to do it now, is irrelevant.

Management does not have to do it, as you've already seen, but nothing stopped them from placing another employee on the non-bid job that you have been doing,

And seniority should prevail for non-binding jobs, at any time.

SmNbnOvr

Caraca
I had some caffeine, so I'll try again.

To the OP.

The Steward did not bump you off your job.

The Steward did not, and cannot, force management to put him on your job, or I should say, the job that you were doing.

The Steward can, and did, ask management to let him do your job since he has more seniority and it is not a bid job.

Why he changed his mind and didn't want to do it before, and wants to do it now, is irrelevant.

Management does not have to do it, as you've already seen, but nothing stopped them from placing another employee on the non-bid job that you have been doing,

And seniority should prevail for non-binding jobs, at any time.
Hope that’s right. The sort manager has made it very clear that he wants me in there (or more
accurately not him) and will step in if need be. Wish someone had some sort of documentation or quote from the contract on this topic. No offense to everyone, I know most of you are trying to help, but there’s a decent amount of conflicting opinions going on here and it’s hard to know where I stand. Again, I completely get that he has seniority but,if this goes down, he’s not going to get the spot anyway(he’s fourth on the list in my area). He will start a precedent that will result in anyone with seniority over anyone with a more desirable spot will now be able to switch. It’ll upend alot of :censored2: and what happens next month when a few of us want to switch again. Seniority prevailing for non-bid jobs at anytime makes sense for us but it’s something that would completely screw up UPS. We all know how they work. They put people where it most benefits them based on what that person can handle. If they lost control of that, they would be screwed. I’m not worried about management. I’m trying to ascertain if the union has some sort of control over this. Can a grievance be filed against me holding this non-bid position. Not looking to fight the union if it’s in the contract. If this guy is trying to get in because he’s buddy-buddy with the new BA with nothing to back it? Then hell yeah I’m going to fight it.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
You seem to be having trouble believing this individual without him having to actually spell out the play-by-play for you. When someone feels bullied it's probably because it's not the first time it's happened and there is actually bullying taking place, even if it's not the type of bullying you're thinking of which might be pushing somebody physically. Bullying has many forms. If a supervisor or other worker has a pattern of intimidating you or treating you as if you're not favored, this is bullying as well. So just because he might be slightly confused about how seniority works doesn't mean he's not being bullied at the same time. "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not actually after you". :)
He has already given us the play by play and he doesn’t like what everyone is saying to him on here.... maybe he can call the union hall and run this by them, then they inquire about the next union meeting....

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Hope that’s right. The sort manager has made it very clear that he wants me in there (or more
accurately not him) and will step in if need be. Wish someone had some sort of documentation or quote from the contract on this topic. No offense to everyone, I know most of you are trying to help, but there’s a decent amount of conflicting opinions going on here and it’s hard to know where I stand. Again, I completely get that he has seniority but,if this goes down, he’s not going to get the spot anyway(he’s fourth on the list in my area). He will start a precedent that will result in anyone with seniority over anyone with a more desirable spot will now be able to switch. It’ll upend alot of :censored2: and what happens next month when a few of us want to switch again. Seniority prevailing for non-bid jobs at anytime makes sense for us but it’s something that would completely screw up UPS. We all know how they work. They put people where it most benefits them based on what that person can handle. If they lost control of that, they would be screwed. I’m not worried about management. I’m trying to ascertain if the union has some sort of control over this. Can a grievance be filed against me holding this non-bid position. Not looking to fight the union if it’s in the contract. If this guy is trying to get in because he’s buddy-buddy with the new BA with nothing to back it? Then hell yeah I’m going to fight it.
You seem like a bit of a drama queen... brother, in the big scheme of things that happen at ups this seems so trivial....move on and find another spot....you are spending a lot of time and energy on this... guys get bumped out of positions every day... welcome to a union job that uses seniority for almost everything

F

Frankie's Friend

Dude, get a copy of your negotiated collective bargaining agreement (contract...in case you don't know what that is) and read it yourself.

You come on here asking for info to support your situation, ignorant of the contract language that covers your local, and tell us that we "give you conflicting info" even though we all work under different local riders and supplements that just may handle your seniority issue differently. You say you think your local union has an "agreement" with the company about not bidding your job.
Then is it too much for you to make a simple call to ask the BA, get a contract book, and read it yourself?

You'd rather waste all this time on here and then tell us that you get conflicting information?

Maybe your steward doesnt like you because you're a company butt kisser or because you support the company's production standards and think it's ok to trample on coworker's seniority rights? You've been there 18 yrs but evidently don't have the union hall phone number... or is it that you hide behind your supervisors skirt when you need help?

Don't waste our time and tell us that we give you "conflicting " info and in your thread title belittle your steward buy calling him a bully when you evidently are a management butt kisser.

SMH

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Frankie's Friend

He has already given us the play by play and he doesn’t like what everyone is saying to him on here.... maybe he can call the union hall and run this by them, then (MAYBE???) inquire about the next union meeting....
Exactly.

over9five

Staff member
accurately not him) and will step in if need be.

If this guy is trying to get in because he’s buddy-buddy with the new BA with nothing to back it? Then hell yeah I’m going to fight it.

Dude, you're there because YOU are buddy-buddy with the sort manager....