Brown Cafe Cruise!!!

Ms Spoken

Ok with the Cruise getting closer I went to the Carnival's website and I can book a balcony cabin for $709. Whats the deal Steve I thought your "Amy" could give us a better deal. What am I missing?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Ok with the Cruise getting closer I went to the Carnival's website and I can book a balcony cabin for $709. Whats the deal Steve I thought your "Amy" could give us a better deal. What am I missing?
Awhile back I started hearing about how we should set up a cruise for BC'ers. I heard this over and over and found no one really looking into setting one up for us. I decided to grab the ball and run with it, though I've never been on a cruise, I thought it would be a wonderful way for us to get to know one another face to face.

This is my story, in a nutshell. I asked a friend, Amy, if she could find out about something like this and she did. I posted everything she said and gave me for everyone here to see and make up their own minds on whether it was a good deal or not. I simply wanted to make a way for us to connect and have fun.

The latest post, and a few prior to this, point the finger in my direction, as though I control pricing or any other things pertaining to this cruise. Again, I know nothing about this, as I'm just a pkg car driver that tried to get the ball rolling for friends I've met on here.

It's funny how the people that are finding the so called good cruise prices never came forward when the cruise was being set up, and some of them aren't even going in the first place. All I know is that Amy gave us a price, which has dropped since this cruises inception. The price she gave us includes a lot that the low prices one may find online do not include. I'm simply trying to do a good deed for good people.

All this being said I'm sad to say that my Wife and I will not be able to go on this cruise. Though I've put money down for both of us, sadly our budget won't allow us to participate. I hope this doesn't sway people from getting on board. Everyone, members and non-members, friends, family and anyone else that reads this are welcome to participate. All of the info for the cruise is listed here. http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/brown-cafe-cruise-information.226320/

I'm sorry that we won't be able to join you guys in the fun that you'll be having.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You are missing nothing.
As I remember, there were several people saying they were going to wait until 2-3 months before the cruise date because that is when you could get the best prices.
I took their advice and now I am deciding whether to go or not. My wife says she is not going so that is an incentive to go. :happy-very:

klein

Für Meno :)
You are missing nothing.
As I remember, there were several people saying they were going to wait until 2-3 months before the cruise date because that is when you could get the best prices.
I took their advice and now I am deciding whether to go or not. My wife says she is not going so that is an incentive to go. :happy-very:

Actually, not sure about carnival.
But if you wait until 10-14 days before departure, the cruise prices are more then half price (balcony for $449, 7 nights or staterooms for $299). Atleast with Costa Cruises out of Ft Lauderdale.
I would think carnival does the same.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Awhile back I started hearing about how we should set up a cruise for BC'ers. I heard this over and over and found no one really looking into setting one up for us. I decided to grab the ball and run with it, though I've never been on a cruise, I thought it would be a wonderful way for us to get to know one another face to face.

This is my story, in a nutshell. I asked a friend, Amy, if she could find out about something like this and she did. I posted everything she said and gave me for everyone here to see and make up their own minds on whether it was a good deal or not. I simply wanted to make a way for us to connect and have fun.

The latest post, and a few prior to this, point the finger in my direction, as though I control pricing or any other things pertaining to this cruise. Again, I know nothing about this, as I'm just a pkg car driver that tried to get the ball rolling for friends I've met on here.

It's funny how the people that are finding the so called good cruise prices never came forward when the cruise was being set up, and some of them aren't even going in the first place. All I know is that Amy gave us a price, which has dropped since this cruises inception. The price she gave us includes a lot that the low prices one may find online do not include. I'm simply trying to do a good deed for good people.

All this being said I'm sad to say that my Wife and I will not be able to go on this cruise. Though I've put money down for both of us, sadly our budget won't allow us to participate. I hope this doesn't sway people from getting on board. Everyone, members and non-members, friends, family and anyone else that reads this are welcome to participate. All of the info for the cruise is listed here. http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/brown-cafe-cruise-information.226320/

I'm sorry that we won't be able to join you guys in the fun that you'll be having.
Stephen, I think that you have done a fantastic job in setting this up. It had been talked about a few times and you did indeed pick up the ball and run with it. Personally I really appreciate all the work that you have put into this as I am certain it is considerable. For that I am greatful as this will be our first cruise and it is something that I have wanted to do for a very long time. What better way than to go with a bunch of BCers (my hubby may disagree with this because he is afraid that all we are going to talk about is work). I am truly saddened that you guys will not be able to go.:peaceful:

For those of you that do not understand the pricing maybe you should ask questions before assuming anything. Just saying............. :whiteflag:. I have never dealt with a travel agent before and recently asked Trp how all this works since he has been on many cruises. I understand it alot better now.

klein

You just want to stir up things again.:devil3:
No, it's too late in the year, by then.
I'll be working or attending classes by then.

Carribbean and Florida should be enjoyed in mid winter anyways.
It would have been a nicer getaway for northerners to escape the cold, snow, and ice in Jan or Feb.

And, I agree with Dilli. Big group bookings should be placed in advanced, otherwise there is no gaurantee to get a cabin.
However, in this recession, there seems to be plenty of space.
But, never count on it.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member

Carnival's price as well as other travel websites that I looked at for a balcony guarantee BL, which would be catagories 8A-8F are...

$709 + taxes&fees of $77.51= $786.51 this is per person

Amy's price is $845.68 inclusive of taxes and fees but also includes a $50.00 onboard credit and a bottle of wine per room booked.

So we have $ 845.68 -$25.00 Per person credit per room is, $820.68...

Which would be a difference of $34.17 per person and that does not include the wine...

There's no doubt that you took the ball and ran with it, you've done a great job in organizing and creating enthusiasm for this cruise. I hope that you will find a way to be able to join us.

Prices for cruises change all the time in fact if someone wanted to take a chance and go outside the group and wait till a week or two before the cruise they might just score a deal...That is if they can get a cabin, that's the risk/reward possibility that you take...Bottom line Cruise ships want to leave at capacity...

Correct me if I'm wrong or misinformed as I've not read all of the 900+ posts in this thread but I thought that because you organizied this that you earned a free cabin. Since that has changed and no one is being compensated for the group I guess I will call Amy to see if the rest of us can get more of a discount.

Cheryl our daughter and I are still going and we hope that everyone else can still make it..

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Tony, as I understand it we have to have a certain number of cabins booked to get the free room.

All I know is orignally Steve was getting a free cabin for organizing this cruise and since Steve is no longer going I'd like to check into applying that to everyones fare...

Regardless I will still call Amy tomorrow to see if we can get a better deal...Everything, especially these days... is worth a shot.:wink2:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
All I know is orignally Steve was getting a free cabin for organizing this cruise and since Steve is no longer going I'd like to check into applying that to everyones fare...

Regardless I will still call Amy tomorrow to see if we can get a better deal...Everything, especially these days... is worth a shot.:wink2:
Oh absolutely. I hope you have good luck with it. :happy-very:

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Steve? After all of the work you did to get everything organized your not coming on the cruise?

Don't make a decision now. Get the vacation date and make sure you have a valid passport. There's still plenty of time left to get a cabin.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member

Ms Spoken, you are on the stugged list...is the list incorrect?

OMG.

I can't believe Stug is joining me on the "Stugged" list.

Maybe we need to update the list...

How about the people still sitting on the fence or others??

MIGHT BE GOING!
Backinbrown
DS
Hoaxster
ROBO MOD
KingOFchester
Toonertoo
Fethrs

My wife says she is not going so that is an incentive to go. :happy-very:

Life only presents these kinds of moments very rarely at best...Take advantage Hoax....:happy-very:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

I backed out of the free cabin because people started complaining that I was getting it, even people who weren't going. You just may have to read this whole thread again, sorry Tony.

Steve? After all of the work you did to get everything organized your not coming on the cruise?

Don't make a decision now. Get the vacation date and make sure you have a valid passport. There's still plenty of time left to get a cabin.
It's a shame really because I already have the vacation week locked in, but times are hard here at my house. No worries though, since we've never been on a cruise, we won't be missing that much, right?:wink2:

over9five

Staff member
I'm pissed you gave up the free cabin. That was supposed to be yours for getting this all together, it never would have happened without you.

upsgrunt

I backed out of the free cabin because people started complaining that I was getting it, even people who weren't going. You just may have to read this whole thread again, sorry Tony.

It's a shame really because I already have the vacation week locked in, but times are hard here at my house. No worries though, since we've never been on a cruise, we won't be missing that much, right?:wink2:

Don't be ashamed Steve, times are tough at my house as well. You have to do what you have to do to take care of your family. I feel your pain.

Steve

klein

Don't be ashamed Steve, times are tough at my house as well. You have to do what you have to do to take care of your family. I feel your pain.

Steve

Steve:

Well, I guess if you manage to get a 66% off cabin (last minute deal), and everyone that goes pitches in $20 for you.
You still might be going..:)

But, to some on here, that might be to "socialized" and not a good thing to do.

I however, think you may have some pals, that would be willing to get you onboard. (in that case) .

All the best to you !

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I'm pissed you gave up the free cabin. That was supposed to be yours for getting this all together, it never would have happened without you.
I agree!!!

If the cabin is still open take it. You deserve to go. You have earned it.