Brown Cafe Warning

aspenleaf

I have often wondered about that. Perhaps Cheryl could answer this.
I have noticed we have 6 new moderators. Is it coincidence that six new moderators appear about the time this warning was issued?
God forbid that our frequent management poster become a moderator! Would he delete people he didn't like and posts that he considered blasphemous?

Coincidence? I am sure it is. . . unless you think UPS and Cheryl have been planning something for some time. Most moderators on forums are there to keep things clean not spy. I have a friend who is one on a hockey site and all he does is remove foul language and try to keep the board upbeat (which is hard after your team loses!) I have never heard this site mentioned at work so we didn't get the warning.

aspenleaf

We have moderators???

According to trickpony1 we do. . .

So who else had this warning at work? So far we have just gone over the safety methods at our PCMs. Really this site is not bad and the line next to me has the owner of denverbrown.com and he says a lot on that site.

At my previous job they knew where we were at all times and if they felt you were in the restroom too long they'd send a sup in after you. Big brother is always there; you just have to accept him as part of the family and do the right things and you should be fine.

hoser

Industrial Slob
Last friday at PCM we were told to be carefull about bad mouthing the company online because big brother is always watching!!! So I mentioned this site and my supervisor said yes especially this site!!! Is that the biggest crock of **** you ever heard??? What I do or say off the clock is my business not parcel's.... Unless somebody is doing it on a company computer, but us hourlies don't have a password to do that. Just thought I would pass this along!!! Now they want to take away our constitional right!!!:lol:

you should always assume you're being watched, not just when you're told in PCMs. venting isn't an issue. sharing with everyone how stupid your boss is and how you told customers to friend'off in a similar story where you denied telling customers to friend'off to that anager will get you in crap, and rightfully so. this company really needs to get rid of the stupid people that work for it.

trickpony1

We have moderators???

On the "UPS Discussions" page, look in the lower right corner. The moderators are listed in a box next to "current users". I don't recall seeing that before.
I do agree with Aspenleaf. Cheryl can't do everything so I guess a few more moderators wouldn't hurt.
My bad.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
I have often wondered about that. Perhaps Cheryl could answer this.
I have noticed we have 6 new moderators. Is it coincidence that six new moderators appear about the time this warning was issued?
God forbid that our frequent management poster become a moderator! Would he delete people he didn't like and posts that he considered blasphemous?
Yep, it's a coincidence... believe it or not. Last night I asked 8 people to be forum moderators. 7 of them I don't know personally but I do believe, based upon their history here, that they have the personal integrity to behave in an unbiased and professional manner when moderating the board. The eighth one I am married to and he wouldn't do anything stupid, I know where he lives...

Lighten up everyone. These are good people that have established themselves here, they have good histories. They aren't corporate spies and are actually doing our community a huge favor by screening out spammers and welcoming new members.

If your only experience with this site is a look at this thread then the timing looks weird. Brown Cafe has been around since 1999 and we've proven ourselves to be reliable. I personally guarantee it is a total coincidence. I've got a lot more liability riding on this than any of you do and these moderators are people that I have chosen to put my confidence in.

You all know I never edit the content of your posts. I only edit out inappropriate content, identifying information and spam. If you start a flame I hope to put it out. That's all. That's what they will do too. It's all for your benefit so don't start making up conspiracy theories...

Coincidence? I am sure it is. . . unless you think UPS and Cheryl have been planning something for some time. Most moderators on forums are there to keep things clean not spy. I have a friend who is one on a hockey site and all he does is remove foul language and try to keep the board upbeat (which is hard after your team loses!) I have never heard this site mentioned at work so we didn't get the warning.
The timing is very odd but I have had no communication about a pcm or anything related to this site from anyone that I know that has ever worked for UPS, including retirees.

Isn't there a program that can glean our IP address from our posts? I swear someone did that before (Susie, maybe?)

Then it would be a simple matter to compare BrownCafe IPs to known IPs at UPSers.com. Do they know who we all are already?
If anyone else knows a program that can look up ips from our server then please warn us all. This has been talked about here several times over the past 7 years and no one has ever said that they had actually found a program to do that. I don't believe that it is possible. How about you techs? any takers?

ImpactedTSG

For anyone from Corporate, Region, District, Division, Center, depatrment, or J Bevis, Mike ******, or anyone else that is reading this....KISS MY ***. That is all.

Last edited by a moderator:

DS

Fenderbender
"I am not sure if the diad connects to the package car BUT I was told it can give the mechanic a dagnostic as well as record speed, if you are wearing a seatbelt and if the bulkhead door is closed"...right...this is a quote from LKLND3380 in the GPS thread...
supervisors can say whatever they want.It may not have
anything to do with reality.If ups had a problem with the cafe
they would`ve dealt with it ages ago.I think they actually like it as it gives them a more honest view into the realm of being a upser than the ERI could ever accomplish.

satellitedriver

Yep, it's a coincidence... believe it or not. Last night I asked 8 people to be forum moderators. 7 of them I don't know personally but I do believe, based upon their history here, that they have the personal integrity to behave in an unbiased and professional manner when moderating the board. The eighth one I am married to and he wouldn't do anything stupid, I know where he lives...

Lighten up everyone. These are good people that have established themselves here, they have good histories. They aren't corporate spies and are actually doing our community a huge favor by screening out spammers and welcoming new members.

If your only experience with this site is a look at this thread then the timing looks weird. Brown Cafe has been around since 1999 and we've proven ourselves to be reliable. I personally guarantee it is a total coincidence. I've got a lot more liability riding on this than any of you do and these moderators are people that I have chosen to put my confidence in.

You all know I never edit the content of your posts. I only edit out inappropriate content, identifying information and spam. If you start a flame I hope to put it out. That's all. That's what they will do too. It's all for your benefit so don't start making up conspiracy theories...

The timing is very odd but I have had no communication about a pcm or anything related to this site from anyone that I know that has ever worked for UPS, including retirees.

If anyone else knows a program that can look up ips from our server then please warn us all. This has been talked about here several times over the past 7 years and no one has ever said that they had actually found a program to do that. I don't believe that it is possible. How about you techs? any takers?
Thank you,Cheryl.
This a great forum for UPSER'S to vent and share information.
As far as the fear of being tracked, who cares. If I have a problem at work, I talk directly to my center management team. I talk to them the same as I talk to fellow drivers. If you treat people (yes, even management) the way you wish to be treated, one tends to get like in kind.
I have seen no talk about the teamsters spying on this site?
Thanks again.

canon

I think they actually like it as it gives them a more honest view into the realm of being a upser than the ERI could ever accomplish.

You would think so wouldn't you? I would think someone (important) at some point would step in and clarify misconceptions or fears if for no other reason than to uphold the image that UPS is honest in their declaration of improving workplace conditions and concern for the employees. But instead we get one mgmt person randomly berating drivers he doesn't agree with.

You'd think someone (important) would even anonymously step in and correct him when he engages in insults while proudly announcing his managerial position with the company. I'm not sure which is more harmful to the UPS image when the viewing public browses here: a supervisor who equates drivers with whining crying drunks who are nothing more than ingrates, or the complete absence of any management to correct him on how he presents himself in a public forum. Maybe the whole "we love our drivers" ideology is a hoax. At least it might appear so to all the customers who told me tonight "wow, you're out late tonight" if they were to stumble in here.

So no, I don't think UPS views this as a more indepth ERI. Watching? Sure, and they should. But a large corporation lurking in anticipation of hauling some hourly person into court under the guise of stealing or distributing "intellectual property"? Yeah, my boss stinks... oooo big company secret. In fact, going that route would only shine a spotlight on the situation. I can see the headlines now: UPS Opts to Squish Hourly Worker's First Amendment Rights Rather Than Fix PAS. What a public relations nightmare that would be.

I read in Google groups they can't see IP addresses on a forum without administrator access, but there seems to be ways when using Java (as in java chat).

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
I read in Google groups they can't see IP addresses on a forum without administrator access, but there seems to be ways when using Java (as in java chat).
Then I guess it's a good thing that Brown Cafe's chat room uses flash chat instead of java chat...

tieguy

Banned
Wouldn't that be the most boring job in the world.....to read everything on the internet and in newspapers & magazines that mentions UPS or United Parcel Service ?? Yawn! ZZZZZZZZZZZ!! :sleep:

Yep I agree. Someone has that job because they send out an internal email everyday with news stories that ran about UPS or its competitors.

A

an anonymous guest

Where is WKMAC when we really need his sage, libertarian view? I know you're out there.

Go UPS!
P71

LKLND3380

"I am not sure if the diad connects to the package car BUT I was told it can give the mechanic a dagnostic as well as record speed, if you are wearing a seatbelt and if the bulkhead door is closed"...right...this is a quote from LKLND3380 in the GPS thread...
supervisors can say whatever they want.It may not have
anything to do with reality.

A supe did not say this, it was brought up at a Union meeting about the new diad system...

One center is already using the diagnostics notification and reduced the out of service Package Cars. So it seems that part works...

Another feature disables the diad while the package car is in motion to keep drivers with "both hands on the wheel..."

sendagain

If they really were watching us, they would have seen how dangerous it is to respond to the diad while on the busiest freeway in the world.

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
Diad doesn't connect to package car in any way, But in Houston UPS is experimenting w/a what is the automotive industry is call a snap shop program. It monitors all eng functions of package car. The scanner for this in at entrance door to center. Scanner reads snap shop to determine if any diagnostic trouble codes were detected. ie..... evaporative emission problems, engine misfires....so on and so on.
If any dtc's are found than automotive personal are notified by email w/car number and dtc's. This system has saved estimated 10 road calls in last 6 mos due to engine malfunctions that are not set as a hard fault, but were in pending status in power train control module. So yes to your answer UPS can see what you were doing at the time the check engine light came on. It's called freeze frame date, date that is saved for 45 seconds, 15 seconds before the light cam on, and 30 seconds after light came on.. Yes that does include engine rpm, vehicle speed, o2 sensors, and host of other information available to automotive. It's been that way in the automotive world for 10 years now UPS is finally catching up w/technology.

Even if they could track who was on and the ip address,they wouldn`t be able to prove who typed the post. In fact it`s my wife sending this msg about how stupid they are.:cool: