Buddy retired 5 years after his retirement date.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Left over a quarter million of pension payments on the table. just don't get it . so he'll get maybe 500-600 more a month in his pension.it will take 40 years to break even.

he could have retired 5 years ago , collect 50k a year on his pension and worked another job or started a sideline business if they needed the money.

worked for half wages as I see it.

Last edited:
Left over a quarter million of pension payments on the table. just don't get it . so he'll get maybe 500-600 more a month in his pension.it will take 40 years to break even.

he could have retired 5 years ago , collect 50k a year on his pension and worked another job or started a sideline line business if they needed the money.

Look at how much more money he was making working instead of collecting a pension. Not counting not paying for health care benefits, building up how 401k and building up his social security.

Everyone has a different agenda..

Shiftless

I'm all for everyone else working until they are at least 70. And don't file for SS either until 72. You can do it!

Rod is right! Work till you puke, then a little more for good measure! SS is a fleeting emotional excersize on a monthly basis. Payday every Friday RULES!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

he could have retired 5 years ago , collect 50k a year on his pension and worked another job or started a sideline business if they needed the money.

Math is hard

That’s about $1200 more a month here

clean hairy

I am not concerned about what decisions others make, especially if it has no effect on me or my life

Elvis

Forty and out
Go find another job that gets 7 weeks of vacation and pays over $100,000 with great benefits. Your SS is based on your 35 best earning years. Try to stick that long at least and save.

35years

Gravy route

Lets see in those 5 years...

-He made 50k more each of those years as compared to his pension = $250k ahead + appreciation.... If he put that excess ($4166 a month) in his 401k at 9% average return over the last 5 years = $316,573 ahead

-He saved $500 a month not paying for his own healthcare = $30k ahead

- He increased his average earnings for calculating his Social Security benifits... He knocked his early low earning years out and replaced them with his highest earning years gaining him an extra $800 a month extra to begin, and this benifit is indexed for inflation ($1675 more per month after 25 years at 3% inflation) so if he collects for 25 years....$371,000 extra

His pension monthy benifit increased $500 to $1000 a month for the rest of his life..25 years= $150k to $300k

So for working 5 extra years he will have about $867,000 to 1 million + extra for retirement

I think he did well.

Last edited: