Build That Wall!!

It will be fine

Why the Wall Won't Work

This is a good breakdown from the right wing think tank Cato on why the wall is giant waste of money. I’d be interested if any of the Trumpflakes have any rebuttal to the arguments posed in it. I doubt any Trump supporter will read it though. It’s kinda long and doesn’t have many pictures.

newfie

Why the Wall Won't Work

This is a good breakdown from the right wing think tank Cato on why the wall is giant waste of money. I’d be interested if any of the Trumpflakes have any rebuttal to the arguments posed in it. I doubt any Trump supporter will read it though. It’s kinda long and doesn’t have many pictures.
Looks like outdated information . Trump moved away from the concrete wall concept after meetings with border agents who said they needed a wall they could see through. I don't see where this article attempts to address the effectiveness of current walls which is approximately 92 percent effective. When libs remove walls from prisons and prove we don't need them then I'll believe you.

newfie

What does it mean for a wall to be 92% effective? Would Trump’s wall bump the border up to 100%?

92 percent reduction in illegal crossings. We had a nice demonstration of the effectiveness of the San Diego wall New year's Eve when 150 criminals tried to storm that wall and we're repelled.

Box Ox

92 percent reduction in illegal crossings. We had a nice demonstration of the effectiveness of the San Diego wall New year's Eve when 150 criminals tried to storm that wall and we're repelled.

Gotcha. In all seriousness, Trump should do a prime time Presidential Address from the Oval Office to lay out why he wants what he wants and maybe highlight some cases in which illegal crossers have murdered Americans. Including the recent killing of that CA police officer.

The ways Trump has been trying to make his case have been pretty dumb so far.

while many more were using tunnels..

Because tunnels exist.....no wall?

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
49402042_797980947232484_6063626169838731264_n.jpg

vantexan

Why the Wall Won't Work

Doesn't address how effective walls in other countries have been, especially Israel. Did it mention how effective the current newer barriers in San Diego have been? No one is saying it will completely stop illegal immigration. But it will greatly slow it down. And probably discourage many from even trying. And why is it that Democrats were supporting a wall years ago but not now? Is it because they were pandering for votes with no intention to actually do anything? Great leadership y'all have got going over there.

Box Ox

Doesn't address how effective walls in other countries have been, especially Israel.

On the left (NPR, CNN, etc), the question of whether or not Israel's wall is effective or not quickly turns into "HOW DARE WE CONSIDER EMULATING THE ISRAELIS' OPPRESSION OF THE PALESTINIANS". Rather than actually answering the question. Sigh.

vantexan

Yep, so effective, Israel now building an underground border wall. :happy2:
Israel Speeds Up Underground Border Wall To Block Gaza Tunnels
I guess you don't remember all the suicide attacks they had before they built a serious wall around their country. And since it was effective the Palestinians have taken to tunneling. So now the Israelis are shoring up their defenses. By the way why do you think they're tunneling under? They intend to do harm. Who do you think will be tunneling under our border wall? Not folks looking to pick crops. It'll be the cartels. People intending to do harm. Every effort we can make to hinder them should be attempted.

MAKAVELI

I think an effective wall making a guy have to dig a tunnel if he wants to get across is a fairly convincing barrier to entry. And Israel is trying to keep out suicide bombers and settlement attackers. Not just illegal immigrants. So they really should go the extra mile.
It's not effective because those who are desperate enough will find a way. You have to realize Israel's border wall is only 440 miles compared to the almost 2000 mile US/Mexico border.

Box Ox

It's not effective because those who are desperate enough will find a way.

Sure. But short of achieving border perfection, is a better wall not one of the most effective methods we could utilize to keep illegal immigrants out? Or should we go ahead and throw up our hands and say we've addressed the issue as best we can?

I think Trump is a dummy. And a government shutdown is not the right way to get this done. But I hope Democrats are careful in how they articulate their opposition to giving Trump what he wants. Doesn't sound good to moderates who can swing elections.

vantexan

Sure. But short of achieving border perfection, is a better wall not one of the most effective methods we could utilize to keep illegal immigrants out? Or should we go ahead and throw up our hands and say we've addressed the issue as best we can?

I think Trump is a :censored2:stick :censored2:. And a government shutdown is not the right way to get this done. But I hope Democrats are careful in how they articulate their opposition to giving Trump what he wants. Doesn't sound good to moderates who can swing elections.
He's been asking for funds for two years. For those who say that the Republicans were in total control 60 votes are needed in the Senate unless Mitch McConnell allows the "nuclear option" which he feels will ultimately hurt the Republicans. And now doesn't matter because Dems are in control of the purse strings. So what else can he do? Ultimately the polls are probably going to decide this.