Buy out in 2023??

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Like iwbf said, they can just make the schedule/route/pay miserable enough and people will leave. No need to do buyouts when you have turnover so high already.
You’re overlooking the simple. There is nothing stopping FedEx from just laying off people. Your convolutions notwithstanding.

McFeely

Huge Member
You’re overlooking the simple. There is nothing stopping FedEx from just laying off people. Your convolutions notwithstanding.
You’re correct that they can do that, they just don’t want the negative press that goes with the word “layoff”. So I imagine them doing what they’ve been doing with voluntary buyouts for non-revenue employees and making it uncomfortable for the overstaffed hourlies.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
You’re correct that they can do that, they just don’t want the negative press that goes with the word “layoff”. So I imagine them doing what they’ve been doing with voluntary buyouts for non-revenue employees and making it uncomfortable for the overstaffed hourlies.
You really are living in the past. Negative press? That’s the least of their concerns!

Godzilla55

Oh believe me, When Valet takes full effect, lots of people are going to quit. I am scheduled to run 3 different routes next week.
I was under the assumption Valet is for scheduling different positions on the sort only, not for route scheduling. If that’s the case everyone should get swing pay. Hope that’s not true because it would definitely become a dumpster fire real quick.

Fedexcellent

It's not true. Valet only deals with dynamic sort start times and sort positions. It may make you an early or late starter on the sort, depending on the day. But it won't schedule you different routes.

It's also completely controlled by management. They have to go in and give training credit to anyone they want to be able to do a given sort position, aka offloading. If they don't give a particular employee credit for the training, that employee can't be selected by Valet for that sort position.

This way, they can really manipulate the program to better keep people in sort positions that make sense for everyone.

thedownhillEXPRESS

It's not true. Valet only deals with dynamic sort start times and sort positions. It may make you an early or late starter on the sort, depending on the day. But it won't schedule you different routes.

It's also completely controlled by management. They have to go in and give training credit to anyone they want to be able to do a given sort position, aka offloading. If they don't give a particular employee credit for the training, that employee can't be selected by Valet for that sort position.

This way, they can really manipulate the program to better keep people in sort positions that make sense for everyone.
Perhaps true, the problem is that would take like a team of 5 people working 10 hours a day to keep it up to date and running correctly.

MAKAVELI

It's not just negative press. It's higher unemployment insurance rates as well.

It will be fine

It's not just negative press. It's higher unemployment insurance rates as well.
I’m sure those are always at the max regardless. I think the hit to the stock with announced layoffs would be the concern. They prefer right sizing the operation through attrition, sounds better.

MAKAVELI

I’m sure those are always at the max regardless. I think the hit to the stock with announced layoffs would be the concern. They prefer right sizing the operation through attrition, sounds better.
It's been their mantra forever. It's not just about the stock price. FYI UPS has never had an issue about using layoffs vs stock price.

HedleyLamarr

I was under the assumption Valet is for scheduling different positions on the sort only, not for route scheduling. If that’s the case everyone should get swing pay. Hope that’s not true because it would definitely become a dumpster fire real quick.
I wonder how that happened then. Could it be a sign that management is going to try and force me into a swing position again? *Gulp* At least the schedule isn't being enforced, yet.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Management was tasked with establishing a protocol that was completely devoid of common sense (which is a foreign concept to management), and VALET was their proposal.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Rumors from who? Don't start this B.S. again. They will never offer buyouts again to anyone that works near a package (and that includes front line managers). The only ones who were offered them last time are positions they didn't have to backfill. So the question we all should have been asking was what the heck were those people even doing then? If we don't have to replace you then why did you have a job here in the first place?
Here's the secret, and don't tell anyone. This stays between the two of us.

They take that person's work and add it to the work that someone else does.

DeliveryException

And now the next person has all the laid off persons work in addition to their own work for the same pay. Sounds like a great deal for them. /s

Its been 40 yrs or so, that money is going to trickledown any day now.