Buyouts

Oldfart

Oldfart may claim to be enjoying “the good life” but more than likely his wife is having to pick up the slack to put food on the table working all sorts of overtime so he can hook and slice his way thru the golf course while he brings home peanuts.
My wife retired a couple of years ago and has taken up golf as well. We did have to cut back though. I am only making 90% of my working income now that I went part time. Putting money away for years in various IRA's is paying off now that we are drawing them down to supplement my smaller paycheck. I never hook the ball, I have a slice that won't quit.

Oldfart

What emotions are we supposed to experience following this revelation? If envy is your expectation then sorry Bud It's going to take a far more impressive list of life accomplishments than what you've demonstrated thus far in order to get that. In fact I feel very confident that the only real reason for your still being there period is because management was unable to find a way to get rid of you that wasn't in conflict with age discrimination laws or company policy. Bummer!
I suspect reading isn't your strong point. Management trying to get rid of me? I had already started the retirement process and this shift was offered to me. If they wanted to get rid of me, why did they offer me this sweet shift?

Oldfart

True, but the last time FedEx offered buyouts was back around the time of the last recession. The orange ass has been in office for 2 years now, and he owns the the fallout from poor leadership on the economy.

Hope you enjoy working part time trying to preserve your 401k
My 401k is in capital preservation mode. No worries there. Pretty standard move for people that are close to retirement.
A local bank is paying 3.1% on CD's right now with no early penalty. That is pretty good guaranteed return. I jumped on that rather quickly.

vantexan

Hope you have a comfortable sleeping bag for that tent you will be living in. Is that really living good?
Where I'm headed you can get a 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment in a new building with pool, sauna, fitness room, terrace, 24/7 security for $300 a month. Spring like weather year round with beautiful mountain views. No tent needed.

Oldfart

Where I'm headed you can get a 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment in a new building with pool, sauna, fitness room, terrace, 24/7 security for $300 a month. Spring like weather year round with beautiful mountain views. No tent needed.
Yea, I guess being home with the wife and enjoying marriage in your own home was way overrated.

Exec32

Still an active employee, just VERY part time. Don't worry, one day if you work hard maybe you can work 3 days a week and still have full benefits. Highly doubtful your management would do that for you though. Bummer
So you worked hard and retired, but cant retire?

Oldfart

So you worked hard and retired, but cant retire?
Why retire when I can work 10 hrs a week and keep paying $187 a month in health insurance, have a 4 day weekend EVERY week and still make anout 1k a month. Do the math. I save almost 2k a month in premiums and make 1k a month, all while working about 35 to 40 hrs a month. Almost like making 3k a month for less than 40 hrs work. That looks like $85 or so an hr.

floridays

Why retire when I can work 10 hrs a week and keep paying $187 a month in health insurance, have a 4 day weekend EVERY week and still make anout 1k a month. Do the math. I save almost 2k a month in premiums and make 1k a month, all while working about 35 to 40 hrs a month. Almost like making 3k a month for less than 40 hrs work. That looks like $85 or so an hr.
Why ever retire then?
Your claims are of financial solvency, more like great wealth. I'm guessing your "life" ends as soon as you aren't involved in Fedex. Checking off the bucket list just doesn't give the satisfaction you thought it would, ... poof.... gone, cotton candy remember? Am I sniffing the right trail?

Oldfart

Why ever retire then?
Your claims are of financial solvency, more like great wealth. I'm guessing your "life" ends as soon as you aren't involved in Fedex. Checking off the bucket list just doesn't give the satisfaction you thought it would, ... poof.... gone, cotton candy remember? Am I sniffing the right trail?
As usual, you would be guessing wrong. My bucket list is extensive and I am working on it as quickly as possible. I will eventually call it quits but this shift is just too sweet to pass up. So sweet that many on here are telling me this shift doesn't exists and is not possible to have. Cactus is green with envy because I got this sweet deal and he got shown the door. A person would be a fool to pass up working about 40 hrs a month for what amounts to almost 3k per month.

Next on the bucket list. After my annual trip to the Daytona 500 in February, my wife surprised me with tickets to North Carolina vs Duke at Cameron Indoor Arena. That is college basketball at its best. 4 days in Daytona, then fly to Charlotte for the game. Life is great.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Cactus is green with envy because I got this sweet deal and he got shown the door.
Why would I be green with envy because you still work at FedEx? I wasn't shown the door either, I retired like many others and gave them 30 days notice. No, instead you make up your own stories just to suit you. And quit worrying whether Van is working or not but I guess you can't because the thought of it makes you miserable.

P.S. BUMMER!!!

Next on the bucket list. After my annual trip to the Daytona 500 in February, my wife surprised me with tickets to North Carolina vs Duke at Cameron Indoor Arena. That is college basketball at its best. 4 days in Daytona, then fly to Charlotte for the game. Life is great.
Yawn, big yawn!

vantexan

So you are healthy enough to travel abroad but not healthy enough to hold ANY type of job? That is what people that don't want to work usually say.
Dude I just spent 30 hours in an emergency room and racked up $36k in bills. Am on insulin for first time. I will be sitting in Colombia where I can afford to buy my meds. Now go phuque yourself.