CACH Sleeper Teams Questions

Brown Now

Can anyone tell me how they pay for the first week of training for feeder/ sleeper team at Cach?

Hours worked. If they work you work more than 8 in one day(not uncommon) it’s at time and a half. They are behind one week. You’ll get paid every Friday.

Mileage pay starts at .59 cents a mile I believe. They did not bump up the mileage pay. It’s at the agreed upon rate/progression.

I believe mileage tops out at 36 months, not 48 months like the hourly rate.

Hours worked. If they work you work more than 8 in one day(not uncommon) it’s at time and a half. They are behind one week. You’ll get paid every Friday.

Mileage pay starts at .59 cents a mile I believe. They did not bump up the mileage pay. It’s at the agreed upon rate/progression.

I believe mileage tops out at 36 months, not 48 months like the hourly rate.
That’s great thanks for the information! Are there test involved in the training? I hear you are taught the UPS pre-trip. Any idea what else is taught during the week?

Blackbeauty7123

with this new explosion of team hiring, there seems to be a ton of uncertainty when asking questions. Im hoping some of you can help.

1. How much is the actual mileage pay? Hourly went up to $30/hr to start but the answer for the mileage is anywhere from 60cpm to 96cpm.

2. After your dedicated run, can you pick up another team run (hours permitting) or solo feeder run)

3. Is there plenty of work currently? We are being told we can max out our hours every week if we want.

4. Any other info or news about the new sleeper team project?

Thanks guys!

I can confirm they are starting guys at 30/hour at CACH, I’m not sure about mileage if someone else wants to chime in. I do know that other 710 drivers currently in progression at all other Chicago hubs are beyond pissed about it, so it’s a union dispute at this point. I’m sure we all know how this ends, a fresh pair of knee pads....

ihateloading

I can confirm they are starting guys at 30/hour at CACH, I’m not sure about mileage if someone else wants to chime in. I do know that other 710 drivers currently in progression at all other Chicago hubs are beyond pissed about it, so it’s a union dispute at this point. I’m sure we all know how this ends, a fresh pair of knee pads....
:censored2: I need my CDL.

ihateloading

How would $30/hr work work in progression though? Would you just make $30/hr for 48 months until top rate? It is higher than the progression scale of the first 3 years.

I know earlier this summer CACH had a sign outside offering $22/hr or something like that. I knew we were looking for drivers but I didn’t know the hub was that desperate. Gotta get my CDL before all the off the street guys take all the trucks! Lol

saltdog

with this new explosion of team hiring, there seems to be a ton of uncertainty when asking questions. Im hoping some of you can help.

1. How much is the actual mileage pay? Hourly went up to $30/hr to start but the answer for the mileage is anywhere from 60cpm to 96cpm.

2. After your dedicated run, can you pick up another team run (hours permitting) or solo feeder run)

3. Is there plenty of work currently? We are being told we can max out our hours every week if we want.

4. Any other info or news about the new sleeper team project?

Thanks guys!
$30 starting hourly rate was recently started over $21 to attract 100 good drivers. Mileage pay is per the contract. There is no dedicated run for new hires unless a bid driver picks you as a sleeper partner otherwise you go to the bottom of seniority and are ON CALL to cover sleeper, hourly or mileage run. No one on earth can forecast how much you’ll work but it ain’t maxing out your hours every week for sure. The guys on call now will be on the new team runs. You have to pay your dues like everyone ahead of you

Blackbeauty7123

How would $30/hr work work in progression though? Would you just make $30/hr for 48 months until top rate? It is higher than the progression scale of the first 3 years.

I know earlier this summer CACH had a sign outside offering $22/hr or something like that. I knew we were looking for drivers but I didn’t know the hub was that desperate. Gotta get my CDL before all the off the street guys take all the trucks! Lol

Correct, you’d just stay at that rate until your progression catches up which would be top rate. And yes they are very desperate at this point, they’ve hired a ton of sleeper bid/cover drivers. 21/hour starting isn’t going to persuade many off the street hires to jump on board, especially if they’re on call, so I guess the company had to make an offer they wouldn’t refuse.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens next contract, they’re taking loads off the rails but that doesn’t mean they can’t put them back on, and those loads must be sustainable in order to keep all those new hires.

Last edited:

ihateloading

Correct, you’d just stay at that rate until your progression catches up which would be top rate. And yes they are very desperate at this point, they’ve hired a ton of sleeper bid/cover drivers. 21/hour starting isn’t going to persuade many off the street hires to jump on board, especially if they’re on call, so I guess the company had to make an offer they wouldn’t refuse.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens next contract, they’re taking loads off the rails but that doesn’t mean they can’t put them back on, and those loads must be sustainable in order to keep all those new hires.

I wonder how long it’ll last even before the next contract. You’re right. I’d assume $43k a year ($21/hr) base pay is to low a pay for a lot of truckers with 2 years experience coming in & hoping for over time to pay the bills(but I assume there’s probably plenty of OT here) and not to many PT’ers care to be truck drivers so it’s like a lose lose situation for the company.

Other drivers in other hubs complain about new cach drivers making $30/hr, the union complains, UPS drops the new guys down to $21/hr, then they all quit to go back to companies paying $50k-$60k, home for a week once a month, etc.

542thruNthru

A little off topic but can anyone tell me the shoe or boot requirements for feeders?

download.jpeg.jpg

Blackbeauty7123

If you hire in as a Otr teams local 710,can you then switch to dedicated solo rubs like 3-5 hours one way!

That’s a very long solo rub, I think someone’s hand/arm would get tired after 15 mins... but if you mean run* then the answer is yes, but you’ll be better off in sleepers. CACH 710 alone has over 400 solo drivers and its all done by seniority so you’ll more than likely go to the bottom of their on call list. Good luck rolling the dice with that if you got rent/bills. With that many drivers, you won’t see a bid run for quite some time versus if you went sleeper. I don’t think the switch to solo would be worth it but to each their own.... I hear the company is looking to hire over 100 more drivers for sleeper teams next year.