Calculate Hourly Total Compensation

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Let's simplify this a little, if you want a total compensation dollar amount, eliminate everything that doesn't end up in my pocket eventually. It really doesn't matter to me if the company pays for something. If I can't spend the money, it's not compensation, it's a benefit. Social security can sort of be seen as compensation, because it pays out later, but it's really a tax to fund a government program, which is split between the company and employee. Workers comp and unemployment insurance are to minimize employer's costs, and only compensate anyone if they get hurt on the job or lose their job respectively.

The question you want answered is what is the company's cost of employment per employee? HR doesn't have a clue, they are supposed to keep the company from getting sued, a job they do poorly since they do nothing to reign in bad managers. You need to ask a finance manager, they should know the numbers backwards and forwards.

There is present day compensation and future compensation. Pension contributions are a form of future compensation that do not show up on your pay stub today but are a vital part of your total compensation package.

SayWhat

I don't believe you.
Member since 2007.
First posting in 2018 during contract negotiations.

OK mr. management troll, your next question...

Is it true UPS drivers are the best paid in the industry?

So tell us what you do at UPS and why you are so curious about our compensation...

And answer this for me...
What is David Abney's total compensation per hour worked?
35 years, I don't care what you believe. Actually this is my second post I believe. I have questions about total compensation that came to mind because of the pending contract, not that I or anyone else owe an explanation.
Me, management? My co-workers and I are going have long side splitting laugh at that one tomorrow morning.
Mr. Management Troll, your paranoid hostility is misplaced, if only you knew. Also, drivers are not only employees at UPS. And Abney's published total compensation should be somewhat easy enough to find. I would believe the amount that you find will be less than the actual amount.
Chill !!!

SayWhat

Let's simplify this a little, if you want a total compensation dollar amount, eliminate everything that doesn't end up in my pocket eventually. It really doesn't matter to me if the company pays for something. If I can't spend the money, it's not compensation, it's a benefit. Social security can sort of be seen as compensation, because it pays out later, but it's really a tax to fund a government program, which is split between the company and employee. Workers comp and unemployment insurance are to minimize employer's costs, and only compensate anyone if they get hurt on the job or lose their job respectively.

The question you want answered is what is the company's cost of employment per employee? HR doesn't have a clue, they are supposed to keep the company from getting sued, a job they do poorly since they do nothing to reign in bad managers. You need to ask a finance manager, they should know the numbers backwards and forwards.
Talking with a finance manager is a great idea. I just can't get past HR, they give continuing stream of sort of, kind of, answers. . They seem to act as a buffer between us(employees) and them(finance).

I thought they only paid for certain amount of hours worked in a day. After that, zero.
We get medical for the following month after 40 hours of compensation in the prior month. So technically we are paid about $40 an hour for medical for the first 40 hours. Then paid nothing for medical after that. But if you average it out over the month in becomes cheaper for ups.

We get pension for all compensated hours up to 2080.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
There is present day compensation and future compensation. Pension contributions are a form of future compensation that do not show up on your pay stub today but are a vital part of your total compensation package.

I agree, but I wouldn't count it at 100% of what UPS pays in. It's likely many of us could do better investing the money ourselves, and unless you live long enough after retirement, you may not see the full amount of money that was paid in on your behalf, whereas all the money in your retirement accounts will be yours to will to whomever you please upon your death. I look at health insurance sort of the same way. I don't get the premium money directly, and I have very few choices of plans. Plus, if I never have need of medical services, or just occasional minor stuff, then I will never realize the entire benefit of the money the company pays in premiums.

DOK

I have seen other discussions here that gave different dollars amounts for total compensation. I know it is not the for everyone. But, what is the breakdown of the different components per hour?
Example: Salary + Medical(medical,dental,vision) + Leave(vacation, sick days,holidays)
+ Disability(short&long term) + Life Insurance + Social Security + Retirement +
Workman's Comp. + Unemployment Insurance = Total Compensation.
Pardon me if I missed anything. If no one has an answer, where can I get this information? Who does have this information? HR is not the answer.
Thanks.

One needs to ask, why would anyone need this info?

SayWhat

One needs to ask, why would anyone need this info?
Well, One. Every contract I see in the CBA that so many cents is added to this fund per year and so many cents is added to that fund per year, etc... I want to know how much this has added up to.
One needs to ask, why one needs to ask,why anyone would need this info?